Like it or not

Scott Dierking

The Jets realized that they are married to both Coles and Cotchery, and more so they are married to their salaries.

This draft did not even have the big name WR that would make you salivate and forget Wesley Walker.

Because of those facts, and the quarterbacks that the Jets have, and how their offense is run, they did the best thing that they could, and picked a compliment to the offense that they hope will enable heir WR's to be more productive, as well as developing more productivity out of the TE position alone. Multiplication by addition, in this case. Cotch and Coles will have more room to move inside, where they are more productive.

Count on a lot more 2 TE packages, where the Jets look run, but have options with a pass catching TE who can move and WRs who catch the ball in tight spots.

No, it will not be a team that will have 3 play drives. And it was never going to be, based on the personnel already assembled. One WR does not change that, no matter the WR.

Like it or not, this is a grind it out offense that needs precision and crisp plays, without penalties and turnovers. EVERY move they made this off season speaks to that style. The draft was not going to change that philosophy.

And they hope their defense leaves them in better field position.

We all know the value of having a game breaker that changes a game with one touch. The Jets are not built in that mode to have that play come from a WR.

Instead of a receiver in the slot, the Jets are going to use Keller, a former receiver who has speed and a big body. At first I didn't like it, but now that I've slept 10 hours and gotten to think about it since I woke up, I like it and I think it was a smart move.

And obviously, the staff believes in Clemens. That or they didn't believe in anybody but Matt Ryan.

I agree that's what they are going to be, Scott. And, unfortunately, that doesn't win games in the NFL anymore.

The best teams all have a player on offense that can score from anywhere on the field. These players draw so much attention that the other players become better by default.

Antonio Gates is a great player. But would he be as good without Tomlinson drawing all the attention? I've heard Keller compared to Dallas Clark. Would those comparisons be made if Clark didn't have Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison drawing double coverage? And my favorite, Wes Welker. Welker caught all those balls last year because Moss drew 2 players away every play (and sometimes 3).

Until we get that kind of home run hitter, the offense is going to struggle to score points. Don't get me wrong, I hope Keller turns into a great player. But right now, him, Coles and Cotchery are basically the same player, slot receivers.

If there is no gamebreaker available in that spot, then don't trade up. That's my problem with it, not that I think Keller is a stiff. Or if you're going to trade up, get someone on the defensive side that makes that unit a superior unit.

Let's see what happens today.

The Jets realized that they are married to both Coles and Cotchery, and more so they are married to their salaries.

This draft did not even have the big name WR that would make you salivate and forget Wesley Walker.

Because of those facts, and the quarterbacks that the Jets have, and how their offense is run, they did the best thing that they could, and picked a compliment to the offense that they hope will enable heir WR's to be more productive, as well as developing more productivity out of the TE position alone. Multiplication by addition, in this case. Cotch and Coles will have more room to move inside, where they are more productive.

Count on a lot more 2 TE packages, where the Jets look run, but have options with a pass catching TE who can move and WRs who catch the ball in tight spots.

No, it will not be a team that will have 3 play drives. And it was never going to be, based on the personnel already assembled. One WR does not change that, no matter the WR.

Like it or not, this is a grind it out offense that needs precision and crisp plays, without penalties and turnovers. EVERY move they made this off season speaks to that style. The draft was not going to change that philosophy.

We all know the value of having a game breaker that changes a game with one touch. The Jets are not built in that mode to have that play come from a WR.

Great post as always, Scott.

It sounds like our offense could be run by either Pennington or Clemens.

lets not forget the 2nd WR taken was Jordy Nelson

maybe just maybe the quality of the WR crop wasn't up to snuff

also let's not forget that Keller - as a receiver - is faster than Malcolm Kelly and Mario Manningham - and just as fast as Sweed and others... but Keller is at 240. HE's a rare athlete.

he's going to make big plays - CLemens loves to throw that seam route.

the Jets made 2 very good first round picks.

lets not forget the 2nd WR taken was Jordy Nelson

maybe just maybe the quality of the WR crop wasn't up to snuff

also let's not forget that Keller - as a receiver - is faster than Malcolm Kelly and Mario Manningham - and just as fast as Sweed and others... but Keller is at 240. HE's a rare athlete.

he's going to make big plays - CLemens loves to throw that seam route.

the Jets made 2 very good first round picks.

I remember people knocking guys like Sweed because he "only" had 4.5 speed. Well this is a 245-lb TE with 4.5 speed, AND who was productive.

His size is not what will or won't make him a great blocker. Shockey is a great blocker (particularly for a TE with receiving skills); he outweighs Keller by 9 lbs (based on combine weight); Keller was reportedly playing at 248 last year anyway, not 242; Shockey is listed at 253. Tony Gonzalez is listed at 251. Todd Heap at 252. Hell, Shannon Sharpe was listed at 6'2/228 lbs & I don't remember him coming off the field on running plays.

You can teach someone to block if you have a willing student. He's certainly strong enough & athletic enough. But you can't teach them to run fast or have elusive skills in the open field or instincts in general.

People should really read the pre-draft analysis of a lot of current NFL stars & busts before they pre-determine any player's fate in this league.

I remember people knocking guys like Sweed because he "only" had 4.5 speed. Well this is a 245-lb TE with 4.5 speed, AND who was productive.

His size is not what will or won't make him a great blocker. Shockey is a great blocker (particularly for a TE with receiving skills); he outweighs Keller by 9 lbs (based on combine weight); Keller was reportedly playing at 248 last year anyway, not 242; Shockey is listed at 253. Tony Gonzalez is listed at 251. Todd Heap at 252. Hell, Shannon Sharpe was listed at 6'2/228 lbs & I don't remember him coming off the field on running plays.

You can teach someone to block if you have a willing student. He's certainly strong enough & athletic enough. But you can't teach them to run fast or have elusive skills in the open field or instincts in general.

People should really read the pre-draft analysis of a lot of current NFL stars & busts before they pre-determine any player's fate in this league.

What kind of logic is that? Dont you know that because the Jets took a TE in the 1st rd he is automatically a huge bust. :bag:

Unless you are schotty jr. in cognito don't tell me they are going to use 2 te sets because they have been saying that for years and never do it. which you think they would since our qb can't throw further then 10 yards without getting coles killed.

This was an off season of defining who we are.

Out on the defense were the 3-4 misfits who were never going to be successful tweeners in the defense. Now the Jets hope that they can get after the QB a little, become stout on the run and allow Revis to take care of one side of the field.

This coaching staff now has no excuses for this defense not working. They took out the "system" players who they inherited and did not work and replaced them with "their" guys. Their guys better be immediate fits, because if this defense does not work together, this team is mired for 4-5 years.

There was no such chance to change the face of this offense, without going into "rebuilding" mode. They fortified the line to make them ball control, protect the 3 step drop and hit a seam.

This team will be reliant on forcing some turnovers, making short fields for the offense and controlling the ball. They will look to develop mismatches on the offense with the weapons they have and rely on a smart QB checking them into the appropriate play.

I am sorry folks, but that is what they are. They will live or die with that philosophy. It has a chance. But it will take precision and smarts.

Archived