Which off season acquisition will have the most impact for the Jets in 2008?

faba

The safe bet is Faneca. The move with the highest upside is Jenkins. Either way both players have the ability to improve several others. All those new pass rushing linebackers won't be much help unless Jenkins does what we all hope he can.

Faneca helps though even without trying. Because he is replacing...well we don't have to go there. But let's just say his ability to make a greater impact is easier.

Both Fanaca and Jenkins should have tremendous positive impacts. If Jenkins does what I think he can do, David Harris could very well be All Pro and in conversations about who is the best middle/inside LB in the NFL. We all know what a good NT occupying blockers can do for the run defense. But consider this as well. Harris had FIVE sacks as a rookie inside LB only starting 9 games. Starting all 16 games with a NT in front of him getting double teamed, and with Gholston and Pace on the outside drawing attention, 12 sacks for Harris is not out of the question. That is insane for an ILB who is already known as a beast against the run.

Easily Faneca....not only will he improve the position, but is able to help out D'brick and Mangold.

I was think Jenkins, but it's a new position for him to learn.....and <knock on wood> if one of the players were to come down with an injury, I'm betting on jenkins.

Good question Faba - I hope it works out to be Faneca and he pulls Brick and Mangold into a solid wall. Jenkins is going to get his pound of flesh too. Like DM say's - this will likely get Harris his bording pass to Hawaii.

Jenkins is the key to the defense, including the pass rush. No Jenkins is not going to have double digit sacks, but he is going to help others get there.

The key to having big sack numbers is how many opportunities will the pass rushers have to sack the QB. IF the opponents offense in in a lot of 3rd and 8's, Gholston, Pace, Thomas, Bowens, and Harris will be racking up sacks.

Jenkins is the key to stuffing the run. No longer will the middle of the Jets D be a place the offense get an easy 5 yards on first down

Jenkins is the key to the defense, including the pass rush. No Jenkins is not going to have double digit sacks, but he is going to help others get there.

The key to having big sack numbers is how many opportunities will the pass rushers have to sack the QB. IF the opponents offense in in a lot of 3rd and 8's, Gholston, Pace, Thomas, Bowens, and Harris will be racking up sacks.

Jenkins is the key to stuffing the run. No longer will the middle of the Jets D be a place the offense get an easy 5 yards on first down

Correct. Jenkins will be huge in the pass rush and pass defense. For three reasons:

1. His getting double-teamed will free up LBers (particularly Harris) to rush the QB.

2. His pushing the line back will often prevent the QB from stepping into his passes and often throw off his back foot. Also, it will cause the QB to take a step or two back, which will allow the speed rushers (Gholston and Pace) to get to the QB with their outside rushes.

3. His surprising quickness will get a few sacks himself. Especially, if the opposition starts getting burnt often enough by the LBers, and they double team Jenkins less often.

Jenkins and Pace...Our run d has been bad even when we had a good d-line in the past. Pace doesn't seem to be a huge 'sack' guy but will be great on containment of outside runs, couple that with jenkins we should be able to cut the field in half and force teams to run to (i believe) coleman's side. Which is another good thing.

I'm under the assumption Pace will line up on Ellis' side, i could be wrong, just a feeling.

I think that if the offensive line does well everybody will say it is because of Faneca and if the defense performs well everybody will say it is because of Jenkins. I think this will happen no matter what they contribute. Therefore, just to be contrary I will choose Gholston. The team had no pass rush last year, if he provides any it will be huge impact.

I think that if the offensive line does well everybody will say it is because of Faneca and if the defense performs well everybody will say it is because of Jenkins. I think this will happen no matter what they contribute. Therefore, just to be contrary I will choose Gholston. The team had no pass rush last year, if he provides any it will be huge impact.

You may be right about giving credit to the noobes. I have to say our best defensive player is no out NT, nor our safety, it's David Harris. The dude is a flippin monster, i had no idea he would ever be this type of a player, 5 sacks in 9 games? a 20 tackle gain where he wasn't getting dragged half way down the field? He's a beast and is the main reason i'm excited for next season.

This coming from an OSU fan.

You may be right about giving credit to the noobes. I have to say our best defensive player is no out NT, nor our safety, it's David Harris. The dude is a flippin monster, i had no idea he would ever be this type of a player, 5 sacks in 9 games? a 20 tackle gain where he wasn't getting dragged half way down the field? He's a beast and is the main reason i'm excited for next season.

This coming from an OSU fan.

Wait till you see what Harris can do with a 360 pound monster eating up blockers in front of him

Gholston is the guy that we can get excited about hopefully that will help provide a corner pass rush.

Gholston is the guy that we can get excited about hopefully that will help provide a corner pass rush.

You know what I'd love to read more than anything? Gholston and Harris being at each other's throats to overachieve the college rival. Maybe from a distance it means nothing to the media, but god knows if i had to play soccer with a guy from St. Norberts, I'd do anything to make it very, very clear that i was the superior player.

I hope it becomes a HUGE rivalry between those two.

Archived