QB Competition good or bad for team

4HCrew

Bad move.

And also a gutless move. Mangini needs to step up and call his shot - name the starting QB and be done with this circus. Having another competition is just gutless.

He wants to give Kellen a shot... otherwise he would name Chad again... you should be happy he is doing this.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
these Chad vs Clemens threads are getting as tiring as the endless "we should draft DMC" pre-draft threads

You're right.

Unfortunately, the hot topics are: The QB controversy and our new draft picks.

We have NO IDEA which of these draft picks can be productive in the NFL.

We have NO IDEA what Clemens can do in the NFL, except suck, that he has proven.

We DO KNOW that Chad can win playoff games, more than most starting QB's in the league( and I remove Tom Fraud Brady from that list)

That's it. The rest is "wait and see".

I'm all for a fair competition at every position. Chad beat out Clemens last year and I'm confident he will again. And if you give him a camera, Forget it, he'll go undefeated, the way he runs the no huddle.

I watched every game last year,unfortunately, and I saw NOTHING that indicates that Clemens is a franchise QB, but, hey, I'm even open to Ainge.

We can talk and talk and talk, but it happens on the field.

Bad move.

And also a gutless move. Mangini needs to step up and call his shot - name the starting QB and be done with this circus. Having another competition is just gutless.

What did you see from Clemens that you feel earned him the start hands down? I missed it.

What did you see from Clemens that you feel earned him the start hands down? I missed it.

What have you seen from Pennington since the 2004 regular season, pre torn rotator cuff. I missed it.

Your sig is hilarious. Chad Pennington had NOTHING to do with the Pittsburgh AFC Divisional Game except his inability to lead the offense to more than 3 points. We were lucky to be that close that late in the game. Lucky.

Oh, and in 2006, the champs were the Colts, not the Patriots. The defense also was one of the best in the league down the stretch, which is when we had our 6-2 run to finish off the season. Just in case you forgot. ;)

How about actual NFL ability, ie ability to make all the throws. All he needs is experience to determine whether he's our guy or not. Common sense.

How about actual NFL ability, ie ability to make all the throws. All he needs is experience to determine whether he's our guy or not. Common sense.

Heres the problem though, just because he can make all the throws doesn't nessecarily mean he will go out and make them.

Ryan Leaf could make all the throws but that matter **** to him.

My point is that although Clemens is extremely superior to Chad Physically it doesn't necessarily mean he's the better QB, they still should have to battle it out. I hope to God that he's ready to step up as much as anyone, but if he can't outperform Chad in camp and prove that he's the better QB for this team, then he shouldn't start.

You are always complaining about noodle arm anyways, surely this should be a piece of cake for your boy Clemens. Am I right??

Heres the problem though, just because he can make all the throws doesn't nessecarily mean he will go out and make them.

Ryan Leaf could make all the throws but that matter **** to him.

My point is that although Clemens is extremely superior to Chad Physically it doesn't necessarily mean he's the better QB, they still should have to battle it out. I hope to God that he's ready to step up as much as anyone, but if he can't outperform Chad in camp and prove that he's the better QB for this team, then he shouldn't start.

You are always complaining about noodle arm anyways, surely this should be a piece of cake for your boy Clemens. Am I right??

No sh## sherlock. Thats why I said the only way to see if he's legit or not IS FOR HIM TO ACTUALLY PLAY. Should I explain that again?

Chad will be great in his little red jersey hitting WRs in stride and throwing perfect TDs in practice. Its too bad that when the real games start he turns into a piece of sheet. Clemens is gonna find it hard to beat out Mr. Practice MVP.

No sh## sherlock. Thats why I said the only way to see if he's legit or not IS FOR HIM TO ACTUALLY PLAY. Should I explain that again?

Chad will be great in his little red jersey hitting WRs in stride and throwing perfect TDs in practice. Its too bad that when the real games start he turns into a piece of sheet. Clemens is gonna find it hard to beat out Mr. Practice MVP.

Why would Mangini take that risk after bringing in all of those off-season aqquisitions?

This team is not looking to re-build, they're looking to win right now so there's no way Mangini will put in Clemens unless he's sure that he's ready to play. There is no time to 'see if he's legit' during the season. The evaluation process is between now and the end of the pre-season. If he can't show that he's ready within that time then he should not start. This team is too talented to start from scratch at the QB position.

Pennington on the other hand could at least manage the team to 9-10 wins as he's proven in the past.

There's no way Mangini will sacrifice that type of season for a player he doesn't feel is ready. You think he's prepared to go through another re-building process with the talent available right now?? Not a chance.

If Clemens can't beat out Pennington is practice (where he hardly transforms into Peyton Manning) then I will be very worried about him as a QB.

And that is the problem IrishJet. You, like Eric Mangini, are worried that Clemens may or may not be a good Quarterback. Sure he could flounder and lead the team to a 4-12 or 5-11 record, but IF he turns out to be the real deal, and we have no way of telling if he will or not, he can take this team much further than Chad Pennington.

And please do not tell me that Chad Pennington isn't a practice warrior, because he is. He and his nice 5-10 yard outs and curls are perfect for practice when nobody can hit you.

Personally, I'm sick of 9 and 10 win seasons, those are just bull**** seasons that try to make the fans feel better. Screw it. I'd rather go 4-12 than 9-7 or 10-6 and lose in the 1st round. I don't want a tease, I want a champion. Pennington isn't capable of taking the current roster that far. Clemens may or may not be, but at least he has a chance.

Why would Mangini take that risk after bringing in all of those off-season aqquisitions?

This team is not looking to re-build, they're looking to win right now so there's no way Mangini will put in Clemens unless he's sure that he's ready to play. There is no time to 'see if he's legit' during the season. The evaluation process is between now and the end of the pre-season. If he can't show that he's ready within that time then he should not start. This team is too talented to start from scratch at the QB position.

Pennington on the other hand could at least manage the team to 9-10 wins as he's proven in the past.

There's no way Mangini will sacrifice that type of season for a player he doesn't feel is ready. You think he's prepared to go through another re-building process with the talent available right now?? Not a chance.

If Clemens can't beat out Pennington is practice (where he hardly transforms into Peyton Manning) then I will be very worried about him as a QB.

Practice play means very little. No matter who our QB is in 2008, its a risk, because neither guy is a sure thing not even Mr. Automatic 9, 10 wins (which btw is complete BS).

And that is the problem IrishJet. You, like Eric Mangini, are worried that Clemens may or may not be a good Quarterback. Sure he could flounder and lead the team to a 4-12 or 5-11 record, but IF he turns out to be the real deal, and we have no way of telling if he will or not, he can take this team much further than Chad Pennington.

And please do not tell me that Chad Pennington isn't a practice warrior, because he is. He and his nice 5-10 yard outs and curls are perfect for practice when nobody can hit you.

Personally, I'm sick of 9 and 10 win seasons, those are just bull**** seasons that try to make the fans feel better. Screw it. I'd rather go 4-12 than 9-7 or 10-6 and lose in the 1st round. I don't want a tease, I want a champion. Pennington isn't capable of taking the current roster that far. Clemens may or may not be, but at least he has a chance.

Where does this "practice warrior" bull**** come from? I'll tell you Pennington isn't a "practice warrior" because that is a bull**** story you just made up. Why are 5-10 yard outs better in practice than in a game? They amount to the same ****ing thing. The only reason Pennington might be considered better in practice is because the Jets D was weak and had no rush. Why should Clemens be handed the job? He didn't excel in games or practice. You give the kid the benefit of the doubt for upside, but he looked scared in the pocket and his footwork seemed terrible to me. If those things don't improve he's got a major problem. You don't get a "champion" by playing a guy that can't beat out a 31 year old never was with a chicken arm in camp.

Where does this "practice warrior" bull**** come from? I'll tell you Pennington isn't a "practice warrior" because that is a bull**** story you just made up. Why are 5-10 yard outs better in practice than in a game? They amount to the same ****ing thing. The only reason Pennington might be considered better in practice is because the Jets D was weak and had no rush. Why should Clemens be handed the job? He didn't excel in games or practice. You give the kid the benefit of the doubt for upside, but he looked scared in the pocket and his footwork seemed terrible to me. If those things don't improve he's got a major problem. You don't get a "champion" by playing a guy that can't beat out a 31 year old never was with a chicken arm in camp.

Yep.

Just because Pennington is somewhere between total scrub and total mediocrity doesn't mean that Clemens is better by default.

If Clemens can't beat out this loser in training camp, when the coaching staff clearly would like him to win the job, then he doesn't "deserve" a chance any more than Chad "deserves" yet another chance.

Practice play means very little. No matter who our QB is in 2008, its a risk, because neither guy is a sure thing not even Mr. Automatic 9, 10 wins (which btw is complete BS).

I never said it was 'automatic'. Just that he's proven he is capable of doing that.

I want us to field the best team possible next season. I disagree with 124 completely that a 10-6 playoff season would be 'tease'. At least the team would be ****ing competetive and actually remain watchable throughout the season. If Clemens is not ready I fail to see what positives there are to starting him. If Chad is clearly the better QB in camp (And please stop with this 'he's better in practice" BS) then Chad should start. I don't want no project at QB this season. It's a team prepared to win right now and the best player at each position should play. If that means Pennington at QB, so be it.

Yep.

Just because Pennington is somewhere between total scrub and total mediocrity doesn't mean that Clemens is better by default.

If Clemens can't beat out this loser in training camp, when the coaching staff clearly would like him to win the job, then he doesn't "deserve" a chance any more than Chad "deserves" yet another chance.

Exactly.

I'm pulling for Clemens, I really am. But if he doesn't beat him out then he doesn't deserve to play. The better QB should start. Period.

I never said it was 'automatic'. Just that he's proven he is capable of doing that.

I want us to field the best team possible next season. I disagree with 124 completely that a 10-6 playoff season would be 'tease'. At least the team would be ****ing competetive and actually remain watchable throughout the season. If Clemens is not ready I fail to see what positives there are to starting him. If Chad is clearly the better QB in camp (And please stop with this 'he's better in practice" BS) then Chad should start. I don't want no project at QB this season. It's a team prepared to win right now and the best player at each position should play. If that means Pennington at QB, so be it.

Exactly, and if Chad beats out Clemens this year, you can basically say Kellen is garbage, and I'm not sure if he will get any better, my fear is this may be the case.

Reports of him always lighting it up in practice + actual games where he completely sucks = Practice player

Reports of him always lighting it up in practice + actual games where he completely sucks = Practice player

Coaches always say the players are great in practice. It's called bull****. I can't help it if you mutts believe everything that Cannizaro's fat ass writes. Practice is usually closed, the writers don't even see them.

If Chad is clearly the better QB in camp (And please stop with this 'he's better in practice" BS) then Chad should start.

Why is determining the QB in TC bullsh!t? I think it's total BS. The only way it isn't total BS is if they structure it chock full of plays that include passes/situations that Pennington has failed to execute because he cant make the throws. Even then theres little chance KC is going to look as polished as Penny does before the snap. I'm not saying the coaching staff isn't going to structure things that way - only that if they don't - it's a very BS way to choose the starting QB

He's still the same player with the same noodle arm. There's no way that he transforms into an all pro in practice.:roll:

You do know that practice is not the same as games, right? He cant get hit in practice, he wears a red cape i mean jersey. Practice is BS, for the most part.

You do know that practice is not the same as games, right? He cant get hit in practice, he wears a red cape i mean jersey. Practice is BS, for the most part.

This silly comment might have some validity if it had the slightest basis in fact. Pennington's problem is not getting hit. His problem is having a chicken arm. Those 10 yard outs that 124 claims he is killing with in practice are the same plays that killed him against the Giants and Philly. Maybe he lights it up because our D blows, but then why doesn't Clemens light it up in practice? The decision will come based on the entire training camp, including practices, drills, scrimmages and preseason games.

You sound like this:

eS35bp91NRQ

This silly comment might have some validity if it had the slightest basis in fact. Pennington's problem is not getting hit. His problem is having a chicken arm. Those 10 yard outs that 124 claims he is killing with in practice are the same plays that killed him against the Giants and Philly. Maybe he lights it up because our D blows, but then why doesn't Clemens light it up in practice? The decision will come based on the entire training camp, including practices, drills, scrimmages and preseason games.

You sound like this:

eS35bp91NRQ

A big big part of Chads problem is he goes into a shell like a scared turtle when he gets pressured by the defense.

Not to mention guys dont even go full speed in practice, nor do the defenses showcase their complex packages as often. There's always somebody wide open, at least with the 1st teamers. It's a joke. It means jack.

A big big part of Chads problem is he goes into a shell like a scared turtle when he gets pressured by the defense.

Not to mention guys dont even go full speed in practice, nor do the defenses showcase their complex packages as often. There's always somebody wide open, at least with the 1st teamers. It's a joke. It means jack.

You don't think you might be vastly simplifying things? Practice is important. Everybody knows what Chad has. I don't agree about Pennington, but the real question is what Clemens can give us and that remains to be seen. If Clemens blows in practice against no pressure then why the **** should we bend over and hand him the job?

The surely Clemens should rip it up too. Right??

I mean if it so easy for Chad then it's so easy for him too.

Now in his 3rd season, there is no reason why Clemens should struggle in practice anymore.

Then why do you care?? He should surely destroy the noodle.

Look I don't really mind either way, I'll support whoever BUT I'd love to see Kellen step up and beat out Chad. It would indicate that he's actually ready to be a starting NFL QB and ready to lead the team. I'm hoping more than anything in the world that he will be our franchise QB but he still has to prove his value before we let him take over. Like you said, he's in his third year so there are absolutely no excuses for not being ready or for not beating out Pennington.

Then why do you care?? He should surely destroy the noodle.

Look I don't really mind either way, I'll support whoever BUT I'd love to see Kellen step up and beat out Chad. It would indicate that he's actually ready to be a starting NFL QB and ready to lead the team. I'm hoping more than anything in the world that he will be our franchise QB but he still has to prove his value before we let him take over. Like you said, he's in his third year so there are absolutely no excuses for not being ready or for not beating out Pennington.

YUP!!!

That logic makes no sense... what if he sucks?

They just spent a ton of money on Vets... they arent just handing the team over to Kellen...

I think it makes perfect sense - nip the whole "controversy" thing before it even starts. Pick your man and go. This open QB competition stuff helped lead us to 4-12 last season.

If Clemens sucks, you can always make a change during the season. When you make that change, I don't know. Week 4? 5? 8?

I think it makes perfect sense - nip the whole "controversy" thing before it even starts. Pick your man and go. This open QB competition stuff helped lead us to 4-12 last season.

If Clemens sucks, you can always make a change during the season. When you make that change, I don't know. Week 4? 5? 8?

Wrong. Mangini announced that Chad was the starter for 2007 at the end of the 2006 season. The open QB competition was in the 2006 training camp. You know, the year they went 10-6 and made the playoffs.

Neither of these guys deserves to have the job handed to them. You really think Clemens performance in '07 deserves him getting four weeks as a starter regardless of how he does in camp?

Archived