Shutting Down Robertson Part of Broncos Plan

BroadwayJ667

n the interest of protecting their investment and keeping their new run-stopper fresh, the Broncos are shutting down Dewayne Robertson for the rest of this passing camp.

It's all part of a judicious plan the Broncos set up for the defensive tackle, who was essentially bought last month from the New York Jets.

"He probably could practice, but we're a little bit cautious with him," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. "We know he'll be able to go in the June camp. So we want to get him stronger in a couple different areas."

Robertson had wrist surgery this year and has played his entire five-year NFL career with a chronic knee problem. After consummating the trade by paying Robertson a reduced rate of $4 million in bonuses and salary this season, the Broncos opted for a less-is-more plan.

Robertson, 26, will likely be among the veterans on the one-a-day schedule during training camp. And it's virtually guaranteed he will play less than 65 percent of the snaps in games. Staying below that threshold means the Broncos won't have to give the Jets a 2009 draft pick.

The Broncos also decided not to rush Robertson to the field. After he participated in the team's first two offseason practices, he watched the last two from the sideline.

-Denverpost.com

so we should all be worried, their defense is gonna be all world and the jets aren't gonna get a pick (end sarcasm)

"Robertson, 26, will likely be among the veterans on the one-a-day schedule during training camp. And it's virtually guaranteed he will play less than 65 percent of the snaps in games".

This is just one beat-writer's opinion. The fact that Drob is getting the "veteran holiday" has more to do with the fact that he's been in the league for four years, than it does in having him sit out reps for rejuvinating. They swear he's an old cripple who needs rest, and that will ensure his lack of snaps.

Well I have news for them, he's a player not a puss-puss. We'll get our draft pick.

They are not going to keep him out of several plays in several games (and potentially lose because of it) to save a late draft pick.

Whether we get anything or not - really doesn't matter. This was the best deal we were offered and it was either take this or release him a week from now for guaranteed nothing.

They may be forced to play him more than 65%, other guys can get injured you know.

At this point it does not look good, but only time will tell, it's still possible we get something back.

Most other guys didn't play 65% of the plays due to injury and their line generally having sucky players. That's why they brought in DRob to begin with. It's not because "that's the rotation they use" as some mention. I don't think it was an issue for them to keep Dumervil out there for 65% of the snaps. Because he didn't suck. On the other side, Engelnothing rotated in & out because he blows & always has since he left VT.

DRob never lived up to his (perhaps unfair) hype, and certainly was not right for the job he held the last 2 years, but he's a decent DT. Not nearly the "stud" I've been told he was by one of his biggest fans here, but certainly a legitimate NFL starter and easily better than any interior defensive lineman Denver had last year.

Most other guys didn't play 65% of the plays due to injury and their line generally having sucky players. That's why they brought in DRob to begin with. It's not because "that's the rotation they use" as some mention. I don't think it was an issue for them to keep Dumervil out there for 65% of the snaps. Because he didn't suck. On the other side, Engelnothing rotated in & out because he blows & always has since he left VT.

DRob never lived up to his (perhaps unfair) hype, and certainly was not right for the job he held the last 2 years, but he's a decent DT. Not nearly the "stud" I've been told he was by one of his biggest fans here, but certainly a legitimate NFL starter and easily better than any interior defensive lineman Denver had last year.

I agree SE, there is no way they will intentionally keep him out, if he is doing good and they need him to win, or have a shot for the playoffs.

I think at the very least we will get a 6th or 7th rounder, with the potential to do allot better, we got him off the books and that was huge, the really big loss comes from the 2 first rounders it cost to draft him.

Bradway knew he had a chronic knee problem and still went forward, then Mangini changing to a 3-4 made him totally worthless to us.

It was a good move sending him to Denver and rolling the dice on possibly getting a higher pick.

I agree SE, there is no way they will intentionally keep him out, if he is doing good and they need him to win, or have a shot for the playoffs.

I think at the very least we will get a 6th or 7th rounder, with the potential to do allot better, we got him off the books and that was huge, the really big loss comes from the 2 first rounders it cost to draft him.

Bradway knew he had a chronic knee problem and still went forward, then Mangini changing to a 3-4 made him totally worthless to us.

It was a good move sending him to Denver and rolling the dice on possibly getting a higher pick.

If I recall it's either a 5th or a 3rd or a 2nd or nothing. There is no possibility of a 4th or a 6th or a 7th.

Like I've always said, the player himself is never really a bust. It's the front office that makes him a bust as to what was given up to get him and/or how high he was drafted. Drob was decent at best in the scheme to which he was originally drafted to play. It's not his fault our coach thinks you can just throw any body in there and it will work. I'm not apologizing for drob because he clearly wasn't the next sapp. I wish him luck, the man played through pain, not missing very many games. Also for the sake of getting something in return for him. Got to remember we also don't have to pay him. I'm not the cap guru like some guys are, but can anyone tell us how much we won't have to pay?

Like I've always said, the player himself is never really a bust. It's the front office that makes him a bust as to what was given up to get him and/or how high he was drafted. Drob was decent at best in the scheme to which he was originally drafted to play. It's not his fault our coach thinks you can just throw any body in there and it will work. I'm not apologizing for drob because he clearly wasn't the next sapp. I wish him luck, the man played through pain, not missing very many games. Also for the sake of getting something in return for him. Got to remember we also don't have to pay him. I'm not the cap guru like some guys are, but can anyone tell us how much we won't have to pay?

We don't have to pay him $9.8M ($6.8M salary + $3.0M roster bonus). It will only seem like $8.4M because the $1.4M bonus amortization that would have hit in 2009 accelerated to 2008. That still counts on the '08 cap as well as the normal 2008 portion of the amortized bonuses he received.

If we kept him he would have counted $11.2M ($9.8M + $1.4M).

So now he counts $2.8M this year and zero in 2009.

You want to really laugh - in 2009 his maximum cap hit if he hit his escalator would be $4.5M base salary + $4.5M roster bonus + $7.4M max escalator + $1.4M bonus amort = $17.8M. If we cut him next year he just would have counted $1.4M.

Regarding the other stuff I agree with all of it. He can only be as good as he can be. It's not his fault if Tannenbaum or other scouts saw more in him as a prospect than he ended up being. He played just about every game for 5 years including 2 where he was asked to put on extra weight (up to 325 lbs) and play out of position.

Don't get me wrong; he was well paid - VERY well paid - but so are lots of guys who don't make such adaptations at the coach's request (see John Abraham at OLB; I think he could have played it - he had crazy talent and the guy was drafted to play the position and played it as a rookie - & think he was not-so-great on purpose a little because the franchise # and likely future contract would have been lower than if he was a pure DE. Seems he was right; he got the DE franchise # and got paid big-time by Atlanta).

I didn't like DRob on the field here (yes, mostly because of what he cost this team in both draft picks and cap space) but I don't dislike him at all beyond that.

Looks like the only way we recoup a higher pick is if another Denver DT goes down and Robertson is forced to go in for more snaps.

Not necessarily. Robertson is twice the player of any DT's on their team. I actually think there's a good chance they use him 65% of the snaps. Who the hell would they rather have in on any given play - Alvin McKinley? Please.

Not necessarily. Robertson is twice the player of any DT's on their team. I actually think there's a good chance they use him 65% of the snaps. Who the hell would they rather have in on any given play - Alvin McKinley? Please.

What about during garbage time? I know it doesn't happen too often, but if the Broncos are way ahead or way behind, DRob won't be out there.

What about during garbage time? I know it doesn't happen too often, but if the Broncos are way ahead or way behind, DRob won't be out there.
I think that may be running a risk or giving up, and if they are going to do that to save a pick, it may cost them even more in the standings.

They are not going to keep him out of several plays in several games (and potentially lose because of it) to save a late draft pick.

Whether we get anything or not - really doesn't matter. This was the best deal we were offered and it was either take this or release him a week from now for guaranteed nothing.

That's what i believe, it's unlikely the jets'll get a 2nd rounder for him, but a third is a distinct possiblility, for several reasons: denver lacks depth at DT, rbertson is a solid player in a 4-3, he's better than what they had before him, injury is a possibility to another DT for the fact that it is a long season

I predict the jets get a 3rd rounder

Archived