Lakers Kings Western Conference Finals 2002 fixed?

Matt39

wow

Donaghy letter to court alleges refs altered games

Jeff Van Gundy ultimately backed off comments that a referee told him that officials had targeted Yao Ming in the Houston Rockets 2005 first-round playoff series against the Dallas Mavericks. Maybe he was right.

A letter sent to the sentencing court on behalf of convicted former referee Tim Donaghy outlines just such a plan. Donaghy's legal team is trying demonstrate his cooperation with a government investigation before he is sentenced on July 14 on felony charges alleging he took cash payoffs from gamblers and bet on games himself.

In other documents filed with the Brooklyn court, Donaghy's lawyers responded to the NBA's claim that he must pay $1 million in restitution to cover the cost of the league's private investigation.

The letter alleging referees altered games mentions only the year 2005, but the circumstances make it apparent that it is referring to the Rockets-Mavs series.

"Team 3 lost the first two games in the series and Team 3's Owner complained to NBA officials," the letter says. "Team 3's Owner alleged that referees were letting a Team 4 player get away with illegal screens. NBA Executive Y told Referee Supervisor Z that the referees for that game were to enforce the screening rules strictly against that Team 4 player. Referee Supervisor Z informed the referees about his instructions. As an alternate referee for that game, Tim also received these instructions."

Mavs owner Mark Cuban did in fact complain after his team lost the first two games of the series, and Dallas went on to beat Houston in seven games. Van Gundy said that a working referee had told him about the league's plan. Donaghy's letter claims that Supervisor Z contacted the coach. Van Gundy was ultimately fined $100,000.

Looking at box scores from the series, however, the only game in which Yao fouled out was in fact Game 1. He did average 4.4 fouls per game in the series.

The letter also details an incident in the 2002 playoffs in which Donaghy alleges that two referees, who were known as NBA "company men," wanted to extend a series to seven games. "Team 5" could have wrapped up the series in Game 6 but lost two players to ejection, lost that game and ultimately the series.

It is not clear which series this account refers to.

Donaghy also alleges that team executives conspired with the league to prevent star players from being called for too many fouls or being ejected. He claimed that league officials told referees that doing so would "hurt ticket sales and television ratings."

According to the letter, when an official did eject a star player in the first quarter of a game in 2000, he was privately reprimanded.

In addition to game-altering allegations, Donaghy's letter claims that many officialy carry on relationships with team exectutives, coaches and players that violate their NBA contracts.

"Tim described one referee's use of a team's practice facility to exercise and another's frequent tennis matches with a team's coach," the letter states.

The NBA has not commented on Donaghy's allegations. Donaghy's attorney and prosecutors also declined to comment to The Associated Press on Tuesday. Donaghy faces up to 33 months in prison.

wow

Considering the Lakers had 27 free throw attempts in the 4th quarter of game 6 against the Kings that year I'm not surprised.

Stop your bitching about the Celtics getting more free throw attempts Laker fans. I'm talking to you kobe24!

Considering the Lakers had 27 free throw attempts in the 4th quarter of game 6 against the Kings that year I'm not surprised.

Stop your bitching about the Celtics getting more free throw attempts Laker fans. I'm talking to you kobe24!

He's locked up right now. :biggrin:

It was waaaaay more than just one game, one series. Also, you have to be an idiot to believe that it was only "one rogue official" that was doing this. I've been watching the same refs screw up calls and games for years. Stern did a great job of trying to cover this up, I can't believe there was no mention of the Heat/Mavs finals. This league has been fixed for years now, especially during the Jordan years....

It was waaaaay more than just one game, one series. Also, you have to be an idiot to believe that it was only "one rogue official" that was doing this. I've been watching the same refs screw up calls and games for years. Stern did a great job of trying to cover this up, I can't believe there was no mention of the Heat/Mavs finals. This league has been fixed for years now, especially during the Jordan years....

We talked about the Mavs/Heat series the other day. That was a frickin' joke.

How many calls will the Lakers get tonight? You know the Celtics won't be getting any.

Honestly though I think the Lakers would have still won that series. Even without the refs help they were probably going to win game 6 anyway.

Honestly though I think the Lakers would have still won that series. Even without the refs help they were probably going to win game 6 anyway.

I agree that the Lakers were the better team in that series, but 27 free throws in the 4th quarter was beyond ridiculous.

Did you see that Kobe had 96 free throw attempts in the Jazz series this season?

this all part of david donggages plan to **** up tha lakers

they made tim donagge say that or stern was gonna do somethin grimey

now they sayin that so no one feels bad fo tha lakers gettin cheated outta a 4th chip

even though that 02 game aint fixed

he doin that as a plan to screw kobe ova

thats -realtalk-

This turdliness is what Stern has wrought. Why should only he and the NBA benefit from bending the rules when it comes to officiating? Donaghy is in a tough spot, because if they catch him in a lie, he will go to jail for a long time. Which means as big a scumbag as he is, he must be telling the truth to the government. The "one rogue ref" story is not going to fly.

This turdliness is what Stern has wrought. Why should only he and the NBA benefit from bending the rules when it comes to officiating? Donaghy is in a tough spot, because if they catch him in a lie, he will go to jail for a long time. Which means as big a scumbag as he is, he must be telling the truth to the government. The "one rogue ref" story is not going to fly.

I found it funny when Stern said he was the only one right after the scandal broke, no investigation took place. I love how he tries to spin it also "You can't believe him" "he's only trying to save himself" "he's a rat". Funny, that only flies in sports.

I found it funny when Stern said he was the only one right after the scandal broke, no investigation took place. I love how he tries to spin it also "You can't believe him" "he's only trying to save himself" "he's a rat". Funny, that only flies in sports.
Why is someone not pointing out how incompetent Stern and his crack security crew must be to have allowed this? Get the idea that Stern's security staff couldn't investigate a shoplifter, but they can get Leonardo Decaprio front row seats any time.

We talked about the Mavs/Heat series the other day. That was a frickin' joke.

How many calls will the Lakers get tonight? You know the Celtics won't be getting any.

Just like the lakers didn't in Beantown. Quit ya bitchin.

Lakers-Kings in '02 was one of the greatest playoff series I have seen in any sport. It's a shame it was fixed. I'm not surprised at all, the officiating in game 6 was so transparently hideous.

You KNOW that this Lakers/ Celtics final WILL go 7 games. They'll make it happen for the $$, just like they made a Celtics/Lakers final happen.

Donaghy should tell us something we dont know. If you want to watch another fixed NBA series just watch Lakers/Trailblazers Game 7 from 2000. Lakers down big going into the 4 and the refs let the Lakers do anything and everything to the Trailblazers enroute to their "comeback." The NBA just couldnt have a Indiana/Portland Finals.

Lakers-Kings in '02 was one of the greatest playoff series I have seen in any sport. It's a shame it was fixed. I'm not surprised at all, the officiating in game 6 was so transparently hideous.

that was a great series. I would also but it on par as one of the most entertaining series' i've ever seen in any sport.

Game 6 really crushed me, i coudln't believe how well it was going for the Kings and that they would really pull it off. It turned me off to the sport, it's too bad.

Whacky thing-this only came to light because Stern(apparently getting legal advice from the crack legal minds who advised Roger Clemens to demand his day before Congress) filed a victim impact statement demanding $1 million in restitution. Donaghy only submitted these allegations to repsond to those papers, otherwise this stuff never comes to light of day. Otherwise what ever Donaghy told the feds stays confidential unless they decide to start locking up other crooked refs or NBA execs. And keep in mind, if Donaghy is making this stuff up, he could have his sentence extended.

Prediction-if the feds postpone Donaghy's sentencing(whcih would indicate they are followng up to investigate these allegations and may be pursuing others) Stern is going to resign, and in the disgrace he so richly deserves.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=3436503

Whacky thing-this only came to light because Stern(apparently getting legal advice from the crack legal minds who advised Roger Clemens to demand his day before Congress) filed a victim impact statement demanding $1 million in restitution. Donaghy only submitted these allegations to repsond to those papers, otherwise this stuff never comes to light of day. Otherwise what ever Donaghy told the feds stays confidential unless they decide to start locking up other crooked refs or NBA execs. And keep in mind, if Donaghy is making this stuff up, he could have his sentence extended.

Prediction-if the feds postpone Donaghy's sentencing(whcih would indicate they are followng up to investigate these allegations and may be pursuing others) Stern is going to resign, and in the disgrace he so richly deserves.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=3436503

Wow, this is interesting. I would love to see Stern be disgraced....

*EDIT* after reading the article, this is HUGE IMO. This really needs to be reported on, and not just brushed aside. I've said it from the beginning Donaghy was just a scapegoat

Donaghy should tell us something we dont know. If you want to watch another fixed NBA series just watch Lakers/Trailblazers Game 7 from 2000. Lakers down big going into the 4 and the refs let the Lakers do anything and everything to the Trailblazers enroute to their "comeback." The NBA just couldnt have a Indiana/Portland Finals.

Honestly would YOU have watched an Indiana/ Portland final? Be honest now. :biggrin:

Wow, this is interesting. I would love to see Stern be disgraced....

*EDIT* after reading the article, this is HUGE IMO. This really needs to be reported on, and not just brushed aside. I've said it from the beginning Donaghy was just a scapegoat

IMO there is NO advantafe for Donaghy to be making this up. I whole heartedly belive him.

Archived