The lost art of the guitar solo...

TaborJet

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great post. I said recently in another thread that Joe Pass was the greatest guitarist--bar none--that I have ever seen. I was lucky enough to catch a show at Carnegie Hall in the 70s or 80s (too many brain cells vanquished) with a bill of Joe Pass, Oscar Peterson, the Basie Orchestra and Ella. I never appreciated jazz until that night. Pass is flat out stunning, especially his technique. As for DiMeola, those Return to Forever albums still floor me. Stanley Clarke, DiMeola and Chick Corea in the same band?! (Lenny White was no slouch either.)

Wow, I envy you. I would have killed to have been at that show....Basie Orchestra and Ella???? That's awesome! Also, we shouldn't forget about Pat Metheny or John McLaughlin....like I said, I could go on forever. You should check out Rite of Strings if you haven't heard them before. It's Al Di Miola, Stanley Clarke, and Jean-Luc Ponty....it's definitely one of those albums that will just make your jaw drop to the floor.

Can't have a guitar solo thread without these two: "Slow Ride" by Foghat and "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd. (Yeah, I know I'm stuck in the 70s.) Rod Price's slide turn still kicks butt today, and the triple guitar onslaught in "Free Bird" once caused Pete Townshend to stand open mouthed--stunned/impressed--at the side of the stage watching it. (Skynyrd was The Who's opening act.)

wQ9LvqUAjxk

Y2YICwlDVfg

Wow, I feel so young in this thread. Lots of references to music from my VERY early childhood, and plenty before I was born!

No love for the 80's? The big hair, screaming, blistering solos of the decadent 80's? That was my time growing up.

I have an older brother who introduced me to music. My first memories are of The Doors, Hendrix, Zappa, Kiss, AC/DC, Zeppelin, The Dead, The Beatles, etc. Pretty decent foundation to build on.

As for the 80's, some notables would be Kirk Hammett(love the Fade to black solo), Joe Satriani(actually was a mentor to Hammett and Va)i, Steve Vai (The Attitude Song), Neil Schon (Lead guitar for Journey - VERY underrated), Yngwie Malmsteen(Back Star), George Lynch-(Mr. Scary).

yea he makes the friggin thing talk on those two songs. Anybody (older guys contingent) remember Albino Ray from the King Family Show back in the 60's? Now he actually made his guitar say his name...

I remember Alvino Ray on that show. I think he had a pedal steel or Hawaiian steel guitar to do that trick. Very impressive as kids.

George Lynch - Mr. Scary

_MRJZGMbFj0

I mentioned Lynch and his playing on another--much more tight assed--site. He is an awesome guitarist. What ever happened to him? I recall that he was this skinny guy, then he wound up looking like a power lifter. Steroids, maybe. Anyway, good mention of Lynch.

Though not exactly from the 80s--it was released in '78--"Eruption" by Van Halen is still amazing. I was stopped in my tracks the first time I heard it walking down East Beaver Street in State College, PA. Though he's an almost total idiot today, I still idolize Eddie's visionary playing and chops.

8w-0bSo9OcI

I mentioned Lynch and his playing on another--much more tight assed--site. He is an awesome player. What ever happened to him? I recall that he was this skinny guy, then he wound up looking like a power lifter. Steroids, maybe. Anyway, good mention of Lynch.

Though not exactly from the 80s--it was released in '78--"Eruption" by Van Halen is still amazing. I was stopped in my tracks the first time I heard it walking down East Beaver Street in State College, PA. Though he's an almost total idiot today, I still idolize Eddie's visionary playing and chops.

8w-0bSo9OcI

Eddie Van Halen. Can't have a guitar hero thread without mentionin him and the influence he had on the next-gen of players. What's great about him is that he was one of the first to actually look like he was having fun doing it.

The "Intro" to "Sweet Jane" from Lou Reed's live record, Rock & Roll Animal, is really one long guitar solo. (Also wait for awesome main solo during the break.) I mention this brilliant piece of rock music--a true classic from that era--any time I get the chance. The double guitar attack of Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner is breathtaking...just stellar playing.

1y_ts0uDaVk

The "Intro" to "Sweet Jane" from Lou Reed's live record, Rock & Roll Animal, is really one long guitar solo. (Also wait for awesome main solo during the break.) I mention this brilliant piece of rock music--a true classic from that era--any time I get the chance. The double guitar attack of Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner is breathtaking...just stellar playing.

Great choice Borgo - one of my fav's too.

This is sort of a follow-up thread to Mrs.T's grunge thread. After reading your posts, it got me thinking.

While the grunge movement was great, and was a much-needed answer to the decadent hard rock/heavy metal 80's, the one thing that was lost in the wash was the guitar solo.

Some bands used them, like Alice in Chains, Pantera, and a few others, but for the most part, the grunge scene and the other rock bands of the 90's were chord-only bands. If asked what a scale was, they would likely say it's a device for weighing things.

With all that said, what are some of your favorite guitar solos of all-time?

The whole song "Jessica". Also, I like alot of the solos in Foreplay/Long Time by Boston.

The whole song "Jessica". Also, I like alot of the solos in Foreplay/Long Time by Boston.

I'm glad you mentioned this Boston (or should I call it Cheatsville?:)) classic. Whether you think it's corporate or not, that first album is amazing. Tom Scholtz must be given his due as a writer, producer, guitar effects creator and--though he started out as a keyboard player--a pretty good guitarist. I have always really liked the solo in More Than A Feeling. It's short, but just beautifully constructed. (About 1:20 into the tune.)

IcsVPis1iNs

PS: Anybody else want to smack the bass player in the vid? What the heck is he doing? He looks like he's having a grand mal seizure.

I'm glad you mentioned this Boston (or should I call it Cheatsville?:)) classic. Whether you think it's corporate or not, that first album is amazing. Tom Scholtz must be given his due as a writer, producer, and--though he started out as a keyboard player--a pretty good guitarist. I have always really liked the solo in More Than A feeling. It's short, but just beautifully constructed. (About 1:20 into the tune.)

IcsVPis1iNs

Yeah, I'm just mad that Boston replaced the lead singer after he died. He had a one of a kind voice in my opinion.

Yeah, I'm just mad that Boston replaced the lead singer after he died. He had a one of a kind voice in my opinion.

It's really difficult to replace a guy with Brad Delp's voice. It's just so evocative of the band. I think Michael Sweet--formerly of Stryper of all bands--is his replacement. Anybody actually see Boston live? I have always heard they were not that good live. True or not?

Looking all over for some good Skunk Baxter footage and came across something the Skunk has ripped through many times. In this instance, Drew Zingg does some first class rippin his own self.

q2iPhS2XSnk

Looking all over for some good Skunk Baxter footage and came across something the Skunk has ripped through many times. In this instance, Drew Zingg does some first class rippin his own self.

q2iPhS2XSnk

Thanks for posting this vid. I had not heard of Zingg before. Wow, what a talented player. I love his skill and tone. Is that an ES-335 he's playing?

One of the tastiest guitar solos IMHO is Mick Ronson's excellent work on the last minute twenty of Moonage Daydream-it wasn't about how many notes he played it was the structure of that solo, which is THE lost art to soloing again, in my humble opinion

Layla is another example of a structured solo by Eric and Duane

One of the tastiest guitar solos IMHO is Mick Ronson's excellent work on the last minute twenty of Moonage Daydream-it wasn't about how many notes he played it was the structure of that solo, which is THE lost art to soloing again, in my humble opinion

Layla is another example of a structured solo by Eric and Duane

Nicely said. I was lucky enough to take some lessons with Danny Heines when I lived in the SF Bay Area. He told me a story about some hot shot, flashy guitar player at a blues event that got a turn and just played a million notes. After he's done, some classic blues genius--I forget, but it may have been Albert Collins--steps up and literally plays and sustains this gorgeous note or two. In that instant he blew the guy off the stage and rendered his million note solo as forgettable.

Here's the Bowie tune with Ronson's solo. What a brilliant song.

Thanks for posting this vid. I had not heard of Zingg before. Wow, what a talented player. I love his skill and tone. Is that an ES-335 he's playing?

Borgo - Zingg is a session player that played with them on the Rock and Soul Revue tour. He's got a great style going in my book and I think that is a 335 he's playing although Jimmy could tell you for sure - I'm a dumb drummer.

Borgo - Zingg is a session player that played with them on the Rock and Soul Revue tour. He's got a great style going in my book and I think that is a 335 he's playing although Jimmy could tell you for sure - I'm a dumb drummer.

Playing with those guys, you know he's got skills. I thought of the 335 because it reminded me of Chuck Berry's axe. Drummers aren't dumb. You guys keep everybody reined in. Imagine if guitar players or singers were in charge of keeping time? Can you say progressing to light speed? Geez.

After he's done, some classic blues genius--I forget, but it may have been Albert Collins--steps up and literally plays and sustains this gorgeous note or two. In that instant he blew the guy off the stage and rendered his million note solo as forgettable.

Albert Collins is a MoFo! I cant find it on UTube - but I have a cut of him, Albert King, and Gary Moore (Thin Lizzy) swapping leads on Caledonia - blowaway stuff

Of course you would know. Thanks, dude.

I had one of those at one time BG...It was a very light guitar with a very thin neck-I didn't really like it and got rid of it somewhere...what a deal I got on that axe too. I found a bass for my buddy Tim same style from a house full of crackheads up in Jupiter some years ago-made that deal and got out of Dodge quick

Albert Collins is a MoFo! I cant find it on UTube - but I have a cut of him, Albert King, and Gary Moore (Thin Lizzy) swapping leads on Caledonia - blowaway stuff

There's lots of Collins with Moore. Here's a good one. The Master of the Telecaster is missed.

G_GZDFojc_A

After noticing I didn't have Moonage Daydream on my Musicmatch I went over to Limewire and found Bowie and The Spiders Live from Santa Monica in 1972-what a show that was-I downloaded all 17 tracks. I used to have that album on vinyl and almost wore it out in the 70's.

I actually met Mick Ronson in a bar in Woodstock and it went bad fast....shame b/c I really admired him-another great who died way too young

Archived