A different way to look at our Free agents

StraightCash

I thought of this while arguing with my friend that we made desperation moves through free agency. So if you look at it this way there is no debate that our team will be greatly improved next season...

Kris Jenkins- At the possible worst hell perform, it will be better than D-Rob

Calvin Pace- At the worst hell perform, it will be better than Victor Hobson

Faneca- At the worst he will perform, still better than whoever played guard last year

Woody- At the worst, he will be better than Clement still.

Richardson- Way better than the zero contribution Barnes provided, wasn't he cut mid-season?

So looking at it this way, if our free agents play the worst they can... they are still significant upgrades over what we had last year.

I thought of this while arguing with my friend that we made desperation moves through free agency. So if you look at it this way there is no debate that our team will be greatly improved next season...

Faneca- At the worst he will perform, still better than whoever played guard last year

Richardson- Way better than the zero contribution Barnes provided, wasn't he cut mid-season?

So looking at it this way, if our free agents play the worst they can... they are still significant upgrades over what we had last year.

Yeah.If we have good QB play I see 10-6-11-5.

Yeah.If we have good QB play I see 10-6-11-5.

Let me say, that QBs usually have a better time of it (a) when they are not running for their life the nano-second they signal for the ball, and (B) when they have enough pass protection to get a manicure before they throw the ball (a la Mr. Brady), and © when TJ and LW are running through five second holes on the line of scrimmage whenever they want to.

The QB's performance is elevated when the other team can't score points, and the QB gets four offensive possessions for every three-and-out the other team specializes in.

I wonder what you guys think Mr. Brady's stats would have looked like last year if he had been OUR quarterback instead of the lucky stiff up in New England?

The team makes the QB look wonderful, not very often -- if ever -- is it the other way around.

I'm honestly not so sure about this one.

Not entirely thrilled with the Pace signing, either, but I'm semi-hopeful that I could be proven wrong.

But Faneca and Jenkins are the keys to the Jets '08 team. Their health and performance will be the difference between 6-10 or worse, and 10-6 or better.

I'm honestly not so sure about this one.

Not entirely thrilled with the Pace signing, either, but I'm semi-hopeful that I could be proven wrong.

But Faneca and Jenkins are the keys to the Jets '08 team. Their health and performance will be the difference between 6-10 or worse, and 10-6 or better.

Ya Woody is definitely the closest one I was back and forth on that too. Woody is definitely the highest bust factor free agent we signed in my opinion.

Don't forget Bubba Franks. In my opinion, I would much rather have him as the starting TE rather than Keller, or Baker.

Don't forget Bubba Franks. In my opinion, I would much rather have him as the starting TE rather than Keller, or Baker.

I have to agree with you on this.

People forget that Franks is only 30 YO. His problem is, can he stay healthy? If I remember right he had some excellent OTA's and Mini camp.Guy's got 2 Pro Bowl's in his bag. He's also been hurt two years in a row.

If Franks stays healthy, Baker is an after thought......Doesn't matter. If Franks gets hurt,

Oh, oh

If Franks gets hurt, we'll have some big problems on offense.

Why? Baker isn't gone yet. Besides, I'm sure that Baker was held inactive for at least one game last year. Does anybody remember which one? Something tells me the offense didn't suffer much and that was without Franks or Keller on the team.

TE and FB are nice, but they are two positions that can be filled with smoke and mirrors.

I dunno, you don't break the bank for marginally better than the scrubs on a 4-12 team. I agree it would be at worst a step on the right direction talent wise. If we only get minor improvements over our incumbents it would be a very big fiscal mistake.

Let me say, that QBs usually have a better time of it (a) when they are not running for their life the nano-second they signal for the ball, and (B) when they have enough pass protection to get a manicure before they throw the ball (a la Mr. Brady), and © when TJ and LW are running through five second holes on the line of scrimmage whenever they want to.

The QB's performance is elevated when the other team can't score points, and the QB gets four offensive possessions for every three-and-out the other team specializes in.

I wonder what you guys think Mr. Brady's stats would have looked like last year if he had been OUR quarterback instead of the lucky stiff up in New England?

The team makes the QB look wonderful, not very often -- if ever -- is it the other way around.

I wonder what you think The Patriots record would have been with K Clemens or Chad Pennington? No way they would be anywhere close to 18-1.

The QB position is the most important position. You want to hit on any position in the draft, that is the position. You get a franchise caliber QB, and you probably are a playoff team for the life of that Qb career.

Take Peyton Manning and Tom Brady off those teams, and everyone in their divison are alot closer. Do the Patriots win any superbowls with D Bledsoe. Have you notice how M shanahan dosen't look like the same coach without John elway.

Until Jets stop trying to find fool gold(K Clemens) and get a real franchise QB this team not going to win a championship.

Why? Baker isn't gone yet. Besides, I'm sure that Baker was held inactive for at least one game last year. Does anybody remember which one? Something tells me the offense didn't suffer much and that was without Franks or Keller on the team.

TE and FB are nice, but they are two positions that can be filled with smoke and mirrors.

Cincinnati

I don't care if Baker's still here. I still believe that our answer at TE is Franks. He a veteran TE who still has Pro Bowl potential, despite his age.

I wonder what you think The Patriots record would have been with K Clemens or Chad Pennington? No way they would be anywhere close to 18-1.

The QB position is the most important position. You want to hit on any position in the draft, that is the position. You get a franchise caliber QB, and you probably are a playoff team for the life of that Qb career.

Take Peyton Manning and Tom Brady off those teams, and everyone in their divison are alot closer. Do the Patriots win any superbowls with D Bledsoe. Have you notice how M shanahan dosen't look like the same coach without John elway.

Until Jets stop trying to find fool gold(K Clemens) and get a real franchise QB this team not going to win a championship.

If you give ANY QB that amount of time and all those opportunities with those receivers I assure you that QB will look a helluva lot like Tom Brady at the end of the day.

You forget that Chad and Kellen were victimized by putrid OL play which took away most of their opportunities, banged them up, and gave them no running game to set up the passing with.

Their performance behind the NYJ OL is what you are judging these two by. If they were on the New England team, you would have a very different opinion of them.

I don't care if Baker's still here. I still believe that our answer at TE is Franks. He a veteran TE who still has Pro Bowl potential, despite his age.

For the past few years there has been this constant nagging complaint that the TE is a forgotten option in the NYJ offense.

The TE taking up the slack for the putrid OL is part of this -- but the chronic lack of speed at this position has hamstrung any versatility the OC might have called for in his strategy.

Franks is another blocker who duplicates Mr. Baker tallness / good hands / and sharp routes down close to the goal line.

But Keller delivers a new dimension -- big and fast and disciplined routes -- that will make NYJ versatility down the field work far better than it has since the days of Barkum, and Caster, et al.

The NYJs need more speed -- Dustin Keller delivers this. The passing game needs viable alternatives that force the DBs to cover everybody and not lock down on the first and second options. The NYGs had this trouble a couple of years ago -- first it was Shockey and Plax, then Toomer came back and there were three, and finally Boss subs and Steve Smith showed up and then there were four and the DBs had to play it honest.

This is when Manning took off, when he had a cool running game and four viable options down the field.

If you give ANY QB that amount of time and all those opportunities with those receivers I assure you that QB will look a helluva lot like Tom Brady at the end of the day.

You forget that Chad and Kellen were victimized by putrid OL play which took away most of their opportunities, banged them up, and gave them no running game to set up the passing with.

Their performance behind the NYJ OL is what you are judging these two by. If they were on the New England team, you would have a very different opinion of them.

Are you serious? I hate Brady as much as the next guy, but if you put Chad or Clemens on the '06 Pats and they don't sniff the playoffs. IMO, the Pats o-line is overrated and Brady is the reason.

You can't really believe this drivel you are writing. The Qb is one of the most important position on the football field. Lets stop overrating K Clemens and Chad Pennington. Neither could hold Tom Brady jock strap. Neither are taking Jets any where close to a championship, regardless of the oline they play behind.

Yeah, screw that, I don't want Chad or Kellen to take us to 9-7 or 10-6. I want Favre and I want to win a SuperBowl now. I'm sick of waiting on the future and giving Chad too many chances. And I don't know about his future, but Kellen certainly will not put us in SuperBowl contention, and that's all I care about. I don't care about what's best in the long run, I've waited my whole life for this moment.

Archived