Francesa confirms Bleacher Reporter - Favre and NY

Jets99

I'm going to try to be objective here - and I go on record as saying that Brett Favre is way past his expiration date:

Defense wins championship. Sure offense will win you some games, but when it really comes down to it - defense reigns. The Jets have the makings of a pretty good defense. Actually, a really good - to excellent - defense. The o-line has been improved - which MAY help the running game or your rb's may suck....does anyone really know? The receivers aren't anything to write home about although Coles is a tough SOB who I would take on my team any time. The TE position is a HUGE question mark.

Are the Jets a QB away from a Championship run? If yes, then try to sign Favre. Roll the dice. For every pick, there's a play he pulls out of his arse. Is your defense good enough to withstand the roller-coaster ride? If you do not truly beleive that this is a championship caliber team - then why screw up Clemmen's learning process? The o-line's gelling process? The receivers timing process? The whole team's rebuilding process?

Smartest thing garb has said in ages, You go girl :D and I totally agree. Now that I have agreed with the enemy (patsie fan), can someone stab me in the eye Please.

Why not Favre? Why can't the Jets be serious AFC competitors with him? Have you taken a look at the team or do you just assume since 2007 was a 4-12 season that this team sucks and can only improve by three or four wins at best?

This team surrounding the Quarterback is BETTER than the one in 2006 that reached the postseason with Chad Pennington leading the way with less than mediocre numbers (averaging a little over 1 TD and 1 INT a game).

The schedule was somewhat easy in 2006, yes, but you can only play who you are scheduled against. This years schedule, compared to 2006's, isn't that much more difficult. The team is improved in almost every department and I don't see why Pennington or Clemens can't manage the team to another 10-6, Wild Card performance. Really, I can't.

The 2006 team compared to the 2008 team.

QB: The same

RB 06: Barlow 08: Thomas Jones

FB 06: Revolving Door. 08: Tony Richardson

WR: The same

TE 06: Chris Baker 08: Bubba Franks & Dustin Keller (and maybe Baker as well)

OL 06: Ferguson, Kendall, Mangold, Moore & Clement 08: Ferguson, Faneca, Mangold, Moore, Woody.

K: Same

P: Same

LS: Same

DL 06: Ellis, (Barely 300lb NT Robertson), von Oelhoffen. 08: Ellis, Kris Jenkins, K.Coleman

LB 06: Thomas, Barton, Vilma (undersized for 34 D), Hobson. 08: Thomas/Gholston, Barton, David Harris, Calvin Pace.

DB 06: Dyson, Rhodes, E.Coleman, Poteat. 08: Revis, Rhodes, Elam/E.Smith, Poteat/Miller.

Just my $.2.

This is a competiting team with or without Favre. With him, they're competiting for the AFC with NE, Indy and SD.

Defense wins championships, but offense gets you to the championship game. And you need to be in it to win it.

There is a reason why all the dynasties have a top QB at the helm. Without that top QB, the best you can hope for is to get lucky and win one in a decade.

For every pick, Favre is throwing almost 2 TDs. He has 442 TDs and 288 INTs in his career. That's a ratio of 1.53. And this is a guy that played before the new rules that benefit QBs so much, and had some terrible teams around him the past several years. Pennington in comparison, is 1.49 on his ratio. So PENNINGTON THROWS MORE INTS THAN FAVRE IN TERMS OF RATE!!!!! And Jets fans love this guy so much? This makes no sense to me.

There is no question Favre would be a huge upgrade. I would much rather Clemens learn from Favre than Mr. Dumpoff. Clemens is supposed to be a gunslinger. He's supposed to produce TDs for us. The reason why the Jets lose so much is because Pennington doesn't do anything in a game. 0 TD 0 INT pales in comparison to 3 TD 3 INT, because if you have 3 TDs, at least you have those points on the board, whereas on those INTs there is no guarantee they scored, especially since Favre's INTs are generally punts anyway, so the defense gets to back up the opposing offense and you get the ball back with good field position anyway. People are acting like Favre INTs are like noodle arm's INTs, which are always returned for TDs it seems like. Yes, Chad's INTs suck, and you don't want anyone to throw those types. But Favres INTs are different, there is no comparison. Favre easily succeeds in any system.

i remember back in 2000 the ravens went to a SB with trent dilfer and a not so productive offense... the same with the bucs two years later.

people look to favre as if his presence alone is going to wash away all of our inequities. the whole, "oh, if we get favre we can win 5 superbowls" pipe dream is annoying and only serves as entertainment for idiots. put away the googly-eyes and wake the phuck up! favre is not god! he isn't even jesus christ... ergo he has no miracles for you fools.

I really believe the Jets will be fine with either Kellen or Chad at the helm. but i'll be honest i can't hurt to have Brett at QB.

right now the jets have a pr problem they are looked at as a far distant to NE (even though NE knows the only true treat to them is the Jets, based on Brady's comments and the way they only respond to Jets moves) and the fact that the giants just won.

they could use Favre but it's not as much a necessity as people would lead you to believe

i remember back in 2000 the ravens went to a SB with trent dilfer and a not so productive offense... the same with the bucs two years later.

people look to favre as if his presence alone is going to wash away all of our inequities. the whole, "oh, if we get favre we can win 5 superbowls" pipe dream is annoying and only serves as entertainment for idiots. put away the googly-eyes and wake the phuck up! favre is not god! he isn't even jesus christ... ergo he has no miracles for you fools.

Defense wins championships, but offense gets you to the championship game. And you need to be in it to win it.

There is a reason why all the dynasties have a top QB at the helm. Without that top QB, the best you can hope for is to get lucky and win one in a decade.

How many SBs did the Ravens win? Keep in mind the year they won, they had one of the 5 best OLs of all time, an RB that hit 2000 yards the next year I believe, the best TE of all time, on top of the best D this decade. They figured they "upgraded" the QB position, and it still didn't get them even close to another SB. In fact, the best year they did have happened to be when they picked up an aging McNair for 1 year or so before he fell apart.

If the Ravens had Favre, they would most likely have won a few more SBs this past decade, or at the very least, managed to make the playoffs pretty much every year. Kinda like how Mannings and Brady's teams do. Or kinda like how Montana and Bradshaw's teams had dynasties. There has never been a dynasty with a ****ty QB.

So are you suggesting that, starting at age 39, Favre is going to be the QB for a dynasty team?

I think he is saying that Favre was part of some kind of dynasty back in the day and will now make the Jets a dynasty at the age of 39.

Funny how no one mentions the Buffalo Bills - who I thought were impressive last year - especially with all the injuries they suffered. I think they will suprise many people this year.

Bills will be improved, but still have major question marks at QB too.

AFC East is going to be fun again

So are you suggesting that, starting at age 39, Favre is going to be the QB for a dynasty team?

Of course not. But I am saying:

1) Even at 39, Favre is better than Chad in every way.

2) Without a viable QB, you can't have dynasty.

It does not follow that Favre gets us a dynasty. It does follow that Chad won't.

Also isn't Favre 38?

It does not follow that Favre gets us a dynasty. It does follow that Chad won't.

Also isn't Favre 38?

Favre turns 39 in October.

Also isn't Favre 38?

Well, I would amend that to suggest that a dynasty does not begin with a QB who is nearly 40 years old at its beginning.

Let's examine some "dynasties" since the merger:

The Steelers "dynasty" their dominant play began in 1972. Bradshaw sucked until 1975 (the year after their first superbowl win). He didn't pass for 100 yards in either the conference championship game or the superbowl.

For most of Aikman's tenure during the Cowboys' dynasty (in the regular season anyway), he did an awful lot of game-managing while the OL, ground game, and defense beat the piss out of everyone. And prior to those units on Dallas clicking, ol' Troy looked more like a bust #1 overall pick than a future HOF'er. He did manage to finally eclipse that 11-touchdown plateau in his 4th season as the starter.

The 49ers & Patriots* dynasties I'm not even going to touch as far as the QB is concerned, because it simply isn't fair to expect any QB to be as great as Montana or Brady.

The Raiders had a mini-dynasty in the early 80's. (Hey, I'd be somewhat satisfied with 4 first-place finishes in their division & 2 superbowl wins in a 6-year span). Their QB's were Jim Plunkett, Dan Pastorini, & Mark Wilson. I doubt you'd be psyched if we went into the 1980 season with that trio of career garbage.

Clemens may never amount to more than Browning Nagle II. But more than 1 QB of an NFL dynasty looked just as bad. The guy has been the primary QB for 7 NFL games. He didn't look too good, but then I can't think of anyone on that offense who truly did or was healthy while he was in there. Pennington just sucks & has no upside anyone should get excited over.

Also isn't Favre 38?

You can have a dynasty without a good QB. You just need a great film department.

Archived