Francesa confirms Bleacher Reporter - Favre and NY

Jets99

An industry insider said yesterday that the New York Jets may be talking with the Green Bay Packers about acquiring disgruntled QB Brett Favre.

They may be talking to Vinnie too but I doubt that also

I'm with you. Not exactly news. Maybe O'Donnell too.

Favre for Pennington and a 6th? Is that what you're proposing?

That's what the "report" was. Doesn't seem that credible. The part I read he discounted Oakland because it was "too hot" and Baltimore because the Sun claimed they "unlikely to show interest" and the Redskins because John Clayton says they are "happy" with Jason Campbell. I guess that means if some blogger says the Jets like Pennington's play fakes that Favre will be going to the Bills.

That's what the "report" was. Doesn't seem that credible. The part I read he discounted Oakland because it was "too hot" and Baltimore because the Sun claimed they "unlikely to show interest" and the Redskins because John Clayton says they are "happy" with Jason Campbell. I guess that means if some blogger says the Jets like Pennington's play fakes that Favre will be going to the Bills.

It is friggin ridiculous to think the Pack would accept Pennington in any circumstance.

Even combined with next year's 1st rounder.

Penny to Minnesota for a 3rd. Favre to the Jets for a conditional pick (2nd) or if he starts more than 50% of games, a 1st.

You can't really believe Pennington has 3rd round trade value when the Packers are (allegedly) asking for a 2nd for Brett Favre.

And why offer the Packers a 1st round pick when they are only asking for a 2nd?

This is ludicrous. For the Jets to spend anything higher than a 4th for this guy is absurd. The Jets are not a "QB" away from a Super Bowl and this would amount to nothing more than renting a 85 year old QB for a season of zero expectations.

Enough of this already. Pick a fricken QB, preferably Clemens, and let's go. Christ, camp is going to center around try outs rather than making sure the starter is getting maximum reps with the starting offense.

Just lovely. When did Kotite come back to town?

This is ludicrous. For the Jets to spend anything higher than a 4th for this guy is absurd. The Jets are not a "QB" away from a Super Bowl and this would amount to nothing more than renting a 85 year old QB for a season of zero expectations.

Enough of this already. Pick a fricken QB, preferably Clemens, and let's go. Christ, camp is going to center around try outs rather than making sure the starter is getting maximum reps with the starting offense.

Just lovely. When did Kotite come back to town?

Actually GOB I disagree with this statement. The Jets have the potential to have an extremely solid D, coupled with a talented O with a new, revamped OL. The only serious question mark is QB. While I would like to see Clemens play, I can't possibly declare he is going to be very solid. We all know Pennington is a liability. Our WR's are so so and our running game is pretty decent, but neither are the concern that QB is. I feel that if Brett Favre steps in and plays like he did last year, we are definitely contenders to go deep in the playoffs and even maybe make and/or win the SB. It's not terribly far fetched. I just don't like the historical track record of old QB's playing for a new team in their final years.

Chode Pennington and a 4th sounds like a fair offer, we would be taking on some significant risk and headache and circus to be giving up a second, plus we're not good or deep enough to be giving away high picks like that. I wouldn't do it, but I wont fuss if they give up just a third for him and then maybe trade choad for a 5th or 6th.

penny has no value and isnt better than what they have already. We'd be lucky to get a 6th rounder for him

Just day deaming here LBS but maybe the Pack might look at Chad as a veteran backup for Rogers in case the kid gets hurt.

I'd roll the dice every time of Favre

What the hell do we have to lose?

Yeah, seriously. Can someone pleaaaase explain to me exactly what we have to lose in bringing Favre here? Besides the one in a million chance that Clemens develops into a superstar overnight, exactly what do we lose by trading for him? One freakin draft pick? Are you kidding me? Do you know how long this team has been without a top 10 qb?

Just imagine turning on ESPN and seeing BREAKING NEWS: Favre to the Jets

Oh man im waiting for that day!

If we trade for Favre we will defineatly shock the football world

And think about it, if they want him in he afc we are the only logical place in the AFC that favre likes the weather.

Chode Pennington and a 4th sounds like a fair offer, we would be taking on some significant risk and headache and circus to be giving up a second, plus we're not good or deep enough to be giving away high picks like that. I wouldn't do it, but I wont fuss if they give up just a third for him and then maybe trade choad for a 5th or 6th.

Guys, THEY DO NOT WANT CHAD PENNINGTON.

Any offer that is Pennington+X unless X is what they wanted originally anyway they'll reject. They do not want him.

Also, the second they get Favre, they won't be able to get a quarter for Chad Pennington.

Just lovely. When did Kotite come back to town?[/quote]

hey Pat, it was pretty quiet around here till you came back....:P

I'm going to try to be objective here - and I go on record as saying that Brett Favre is way past his expiration date:

Defense wins championship. Sure offense will win you some games, but when it really comes down to it - defense reigns. The Jets have the makings of a pretty good defense. Actually, a really good - to excellent - defense. The o-line has been improved - which MAY help the running game or your rb's may suck....does anyone really know? The receivers aren't anything to write home about although Coles is a tough SOB who I would take on my team any time. The TE position is a HUGE question mark.

Are the Jets a QB away from a Championship run? If yes, then try to sign Favre. Roll the dice. For every pick, there's a play he pulls out of his arse. Is your defense good enough to withstand the roller-coaster ride? If you do not truly beleive that this is a championship caliber team - then why screw up Clemmen's learning process? The o-line's gelling process? The receivers timing process? The whole team's rebuilding process?

How could any real jet fan not want brett favre? and want to go with kellen clemons and chad pennington? I mean how many years are we going to see chad pennington as our qb?

This is not fantasy football, where you can just deal for Tom Brady or Peyton Manning and make everything all right. But the Jets are presented with a unique and unexpected opportunity to trade for the NFL's all-time leader in touchdowns, yards, attempts and completions. Interceptions, too. Favre is available and he is coming off one of his best seasons with 4,155 yards, 28 TDs and 15 INTs. Pennington and Clemens combined for 3,294 yards, 15 TDs and 19 INTs

I'm going to try to be objective here - and I go on record as saying that Brett Favre is way past his expiration date:

Defense wins championship. Sure offense will win you some games, but when it really comes down to it - defense reigns. The Jets have the makings of a pretty good defense. Actually, a really good - to excellent - defense. The o-line has been improved - which MAY help the running game or your rb's may suck....does anyone really know? The receivers aren't anything to write home about although Coles is a tough SOB who I would take on my team any time. The TE position is a HUGE question mark.

Are the Jets a QB away from a Championship run? If yes, then try to sign Favre. Roll the dice. For every pick, there's a play he pulls out of his arse. Is your defense good enough to withstand the roller-coaster ride? If you do not truly beleive that this is a championship caliber team - then why screw up Clemmen's learning process? The o-line's gelling process? The receivers timing process? The whole team's rebuilding process?

Defense wins championships, but offense gets you to the championship game. And you need to be in it to win it.

There is a reason why all the dynasties have a top QB at the helm. Without that top QB, the best you can hope for is to get lucky and win one in a decade.

For every pick, Favre is throwing almost 2 TDs. He has 442 TDs and 288 INTs in his career. That's a ratio of 1.53. And this is a guy that played before the new rules that benefit QBs so much, and had some terrible teams around him the past several years. Pennington in comparison, is 1.49 on his ratio. So PENNINGTON THROWS MORE INTS THAN FAVRE IN TERMS OF RATE!!!!! And Jets fans love this guy so much? This makes no sense to me.

There is no question Favre would be a huge upgrade. I would much rather Clemens learn from Favre than Mr. Dumpoff. Clemens is supposed to be a gunslinger. He's supposed to produce TDs for us. The reason why the Jets lose so much is because Pennington doesn't do anything in a game. 0 TD 0 INT pales in comparison to 3 TD 3 INT, because if you have 3 TDs, at least you have those points on the board, whereas on those INTs there is no guarantee they scored, especially since Favre's INTs are generally punts anyway, so the defense gets to back up the opposing offense and you get the ball back with good field position anyway. People are acting like Favre INTs are like noodle arm's INTs, which are always returned for TDs it seems like. Yes, Chad's INTs suck, and you don't want anyone to throw those types. But Favres INTs are different, there is no comparison. Favre easily succeeds in any system.

Actually GOB I disagree with this statement. The Jets have the potential to have an extremely solid D, coupled with a talented O with a new, revamped OL. The only serious question mark is QB. While I would like to see Clemens play, I can't possibly declare he is going to be very solid. We all know Pennington is a liability. Our WR's are so so and our running game is pretty decent, but neither are the concern that QB is. I feel that if Brett Favre steps in and plays like he did last year, we are definitely contenders to go deep in the playoffs and even maybe make and/or win the SB. It's not terribly far fetched. I just don't like the historical track record of old QB's playing for a new team in their final years.

Booz...I understand your point I guess. I just don't have a lot of confidence in the offense, regardless of the additions to it this year. Perhaps, I'm unfairly 'hating' on the offense because my extreme lack of trust in QB right now.

I guess my point was that it would be very nice to see the Jets with a "franchise QB", who you knew was going to be the cornerstone of the offense for years to come, vs. a veteran who is a temporary solution to what has been a permanent problem as of late. I'm not Anti-Favre by any means per se, I just don't want to burn a big draft pick on a guy who has retired and 'unretired' mentally twice in 2 years.

Who knows? Perhaps taking a chance is what the Jets need? What's to lose right? For a cheap draft pick, give it a shot? For a high pick that will affect our future, no thanks.

Archived