Pennington speaks out

Sperm Edwards

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2008/08/08/2008-08-08_chad_pennington_says_jets_didnt_think_he.html

Chad Pennington says Jets didn't think he could get job done

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, August 8th 2008, 5:21 PM

Former Jets quarterback Chad Pennington, in his first public comments since his late-night, Willie Randolph-esque firing, didn't directly blast the organization Friday in a conference call with reporters. But he got this point across: He believes the club made the dramatic move because it was down on him, not because it had the opportunity to acquire Brett Favre.

"I think it's clear the organization feels I wasn't the quarterback to lead them where they wanted to go," Pennington said. "I think that's extremely clear. (Otherwise), the decision wouldn't have been made."

Since the Favre trade was consummated late Wednesday night, team officials have gone to great lengths to praise Pennington for his dedicated service to the Jets. But that hasn't reduced the sting. In a 10-minute Q&A with reporters, Pennington was noticeably subdued. Even though the rumors were flying for two weeks, the news hit him hard.

For six months, Pennington prepared for the open competition against Kellen Clemens. But, in essence, he never got the chance to compete. That stung.

"The most difficult thing is thinking you're preparing and getting ready for a quarterback competition and a huge challenge ahead, and you're doing everything in your power to be successful within that situation," he said. "I feel really good about how I played here in camp. I think people saw I've become a better quarterback. They've seen the changes I've made in myself, physically and mentally.

"I was on my way to doing some good things as the quarterback, but our organization had different plans. Looking back, do you always wish it could've happened sooner, could've happened earlier? Absolutely, but that's the nature of this business."

Pennington spent eight seasons with the Jets, leading them to the playoffs in 2002, 2004 and 2006. Once Eric Mangini arrived in 2006 and they drafted Clemens in the second round, it became only a matter of time before Pennington was pushed aside.

Officially, it happened at 11:30 Wednesday at the team's hotel in Cleveland, where they opened the preseason the following day. Mangini met with Pennington and broke the news.

"The most difficult part of the last 24 hours is coming to realize you're no longer wanted by your organization," Pennington said. "You spend eight years with an organization and, in the blink of an eye, you're no longer wanted. That's the crude part of the busine ss that is hard to accept emotionally."

Pennington confirmed that he has received interest from the Dolphins. He apparently has received a call from Bill Parcells, the Miami football czar. Parcells was the Jets' GM when they drafted Pennington in 2000.

The Jets open the regular season in Miami, but Pennington claimed the potential revenge factor won't play a factor in where he decides to sign.

"I can say without a shadow of a doubt, I have no feelings about that whatsoever," he said. "If something happens with Miami, it'll be because I feel good about the situation and the opportunity. It won't have anything to do with the New York Jets or me trying to prove a point."

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/football/jets/blog/2008/08/chad_pennington_ive_enjoyed_my.html

Chad Pennington: I’ve enjoyed my time in New York

I know everyone wants the latest on Favre but with today being an off day, there is no latest. Other than to say you're first chance to see him wearing a Jets uniform - a practice one at any rate - will be Saturday at 1:30 p.m. If you feel the need to get there early, and I'm thinking that would be a good idea, the Jets Shop Tent will be open starting at 8:00 a.m. and it will stay open until 8 p.m. Same hours on Sunday when there will be two practices, at 8:45 a.m. and 5:45 p.m.

Two news items: the word is A.J. Schable, who was taken off the field last night on a stretcher, was released from the Cleveland Clinic earlier today. Outstanding news after the scary scene that unfolded in the fourth quarter.

Also today, Chad Pennington had his first public comments about getting released yesterday.

Pennington didn't blast away at the Jets organization, which was not a surprise as that's not his nature. Pennington's pride was clearly hurt and he was disappointed in how things ended, but he took the high road. Some highlights from his conference call with reporters that just concluded:

The last day and what it's been like: "The most difficult part of the last 24 hours is coming to the realization that you’re no longer wanted by the organization. You spend eight years there and in the blink of an eye, you're no longer wanted there. That’s the crude part of this business that's hard to accept emotionally."

Are the Dolphins, who have expressed an interest, appealing because of the chance to play the Jets twice, including in Week 1? Brett Favre said part of the reason he initially wanted to go to Minnesota was to give a form of payback to the Packers: "I’ve had people ask me that and I can say without a doubt, I have no feelings like that whatsoever," Pennington said. "If something happens with the the Dolphins, it will be because of how I feel about the situation and opportunity. It won't have anything to do with the New York Jets and me trying to prove something."

On how it makes him feel that teams including the Dolphins, Chiefs, Vikings and, GM Jerry Reese said today, the Giants, are interested: "I’m extremely encouraged about it. It makes me feel good that teams are interested. It solidifies the fact that I'm a good quarterback and I can play this game, and can start and help a team win."

Reflecting on his experience in New York: I’ve enjoyed my time in New York. I think my family enjoyed enjoyed New York. I enjoyed Long Island and the fans. It was a great opportunity and blessing to have."

And with that, busy, busy, busy day tomorrow. The circus officially gets to town. Should be fun. This is why you get into the business.

I watched my boyhood idol Mickey Mantle have to finally admit to himself that he didn't have it anymore...it had become painfully clear to a lot of us Jets fans that Chad was never going to get a strong arm again...sad but true...maybe he should look at what The Mick did and every other athelete has had to do-realize when they are done...

Chad Pennington will still be a respected class act individual in my household. I met this guy on numerous occasions he was a great person and great athlete.I have nothing but good memories and wish him all the luck in the world.A change of scenery may do him good.

GOOD LUCK CHAD!

I hope only good thingd for Chad and his family, he is a great guy and a class act.

He gave all he had to the Jets and us fans, I really think if he was not so unfortunate with injuries he would have taken us much father.

I also think he would of had a nice bounce back year, I hope Favre can play as good as he did last season.

I feel bad for Chad, he is getting a bad knock for things that were not his fault. Yes Favre is better but Chad is a class act and I wish him the best except if he plays for the Dolphags or against the Jets.

we all do BBJ...it was just time to move on bro...it's a cold business and Chad did pretty well by the Jets

Obviously, he can't be expected to like what happened. No starter would. A scrub who moves around the league and specializes in being the last man on the squad every year would shrug it off, but a multi-year starter couldn't.

But if you have to get dumped, at least it's for the guy most consider the best in business for the past decade and a half.

I am glad he took the high road. He is obviously hurt and that can get messy at times.

The Jets did what they could do to make the team better. What is interesting is that by reading that you can tell there is no doubt in Chad's mind that he was going to be the starter if it were just he and Kellen competing.

Archived