RB dept. : Leon Washington #29 ~ ~ ~

kelly

Washington eyeing a breakout year

Makes his bid for more time at running back

By Brendan Kuty / SNY.tv

Leon Washington averaged five yards per carry during the 2007. He scored three touchdowns for the Jets. Third down is a place Leon Washington has called home his whole career. But like many homeowners, he wouldn't mind moving to greener pastures. Washington, entering his third season, seems to have fashioned himself a niche within the Jets running back corps as the anti-Thomas Jones. But that doesn't mean the 25-year-old is satisfied with his standing."Every time I get the ball, I feel like I can take it to the house for a touchdown," Washington said at Tuesday's practice at Hofstra University in Hempstead.Such words aren't those of a man cool with playing second banana. Washington, while modest, speaks with an air of confidence when discussing his many talents, which include open-field running, catching out of the backfield and returning kicks.

"I'm always just trying to get to the end zone," he said.

Washington, a Florida native, last year saw his workload basically cut in half. While the shifty runner caught 11 more passes than in his rookie season, he carried the ball just 71 times as opposed to the 151 touches he had in 2006.

Washington maintains that he can run between the tackles if asked. But his quick feet and smooth moves help him make the most impact beyond the line of scrimmage.The 2006 fourth-round draft pick averaged 5 yards per carry last year and 4.3 the season prior. He piled up 213 receiving yards and scored three rushing touchdowns.After bringing back three kicks for touchdowns last year, including one 98-yarder, Washington figures to be the Jets' primary return man alongside wide outs Brad Smith and Jerricho Cotchery.At Florida State, Washington became the only player in the Bobby Bowden era to score a touchdown five different ways - rushing, catching and on kick, punt and fumble returns. He earned All-Atlantic Coast Conference second-team honors in his junior season.The 5-foot-8, 202-pounder says that he's learned plenty from Jones, a bruising, up-the-gut type running back. Washington also mentioned that he's matured plenty, opting to come home early most nights instead of partying.

"The smart guys take care of themselves," Washington said, citing veteran Patriots linebackers Tedy Bruschi and Mike Vrabel. "That's what I've learned. I'm a smart guy now."The Jets added undrafted Penn State running back Rodney Kinlaw in August. Kinlaw shares Washington's smallish stature and can take the ball outside. But he doesn't yet figure to threaten Washington's role.

Washington has made a believer out of his teammates, especially quarterbacks Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens."Leon's an exciting player," Pennington said. "He brings a lot. One attribute that people don't realize about Leon is his toughness. He does a lot in pass protection. He does an excellent job of taking on defenders twice his size and he stays right in there with them. That's hard to find sometimes in a running back."

"We're excited with his abilities with both running the football and catching the football. He's becoming a complete back."Said Clemens, "It's just another dimension that he adds to the passing game. He's very dangerous with the football in his hands. ...If you can get him one-on-one anywhere with a linebacker, that's a matchup we like." Jones last season rushed for a team-high 1,119 yards on 310 carries. Barring injury, he'll be the Jets' featured back with Washington relegated to third-down duty.Washington understands this. "We're going to do whatever we need to do to give us the best chance to win on Sundays," the running back said.

But that doesn't mean he's satisfied with it.

screen passes all day, you get him in space with some blockers in front of him, its a wrap

agreed. if - IF we use him correctly & not over work him ;

he can be a productive player . .

cheers ~ ~ ~ :beer:

I like that he's putting on some muscle. Leon will never be an every down back, but so what? That's becoming a thing of the past any way. I just hope they give him some more carries this season.

I just noticed the Monty Python reference in your sig. That movie still cracks me up. :cheers:

I like that he's putting on some muscle. Leon will never be an every down back, but so what? That's becoming a thing of the past any way. I just hope they give him some more carries this season.

I just noticed the Monty Python reference in your sig. That movie still cracks me up. :cheers:

Leon should have a higher average per attempt than Jones, since Jones is the guy you give the ball to when it is third and one and you would be quite satisfied with a one and half yard gain. Carries like that cut down an every-down type back's average.

I think Jones is an excellent runner once he gets in the hole. This caused some problems last year since there frequently was no hole to run into, and Jones is not adept at going down the line and finding alternatives. Once he's in the hole though, he does a lot with it and emerges with a longer run than you would expect. That adds up at the end of the game.

Nevertheless, I would like to see Leon carry the ball more, at least 10 times a game from scrimmage. Passes over and above those carries.

I think Jones will average at least 4.5 yards per carry with this new Oline, but might not get many more yards than last year because Leon's carries will be expanded.

agreed. he should see the ball more this yr.

cheers ~ ~ ~

Archived