Merriman's season over....

Columbia Jet Fan

Sorry if already posted.....

Merriman to miss season after undergoing surgery

By Chris Mortensen

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: September 9, 2008, 7:02 PM ET

San Diego Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman's season is over after trying to play the season opener Sunday with two torn knee ligaments.

The Chargers announced Merriman is being placed on injured reserve to undergo total reconstructive knee surgery that will include the repair of his lateral collateral and posterior cruciate ligaments.

"Shawne informed me he did not feel right [on the field] and thought it best to shut it down," said Chargers general manager A.J. Smith. "The road to winning the AFC West just got more difficult, but not impossible. Nothing is impossible. Shawne is a great player and an inspirational leader. He will be missed. We wish him a successful surgery and a speedy recovery."

The knee problem dates back to the end of the 2007 season.

Merriman has tears in both the posterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments in his left knee, which he hurt in a game at Tennessee in December. After seeking outside opinions, four doctors told Merriman he needed surgery, but there "just wasn't a time frame on that. My knee still looks pretty good. The decision was left up to me to play. If you give a football player a decision to play, you know, I'm going to play."

Before the season started, Merriman decided to play rather than have his damaged left knee repaired.

"To be as simple as possible, I just want to play football," Merriman said previously. "That's what it comes down to. I know what's on the table, I know what's on the line. I put a lot of work in this and I want to play."

He'll likely be looking at a rehab of six to seven months.

With his nonstop energy and spasmodic sack dance, the player known as "Lights Out" has been the face of the Chargers' defense the past three seasons. He has 39

The Jets crazy season continues.

Week One - Miami, they plant the Manchurian QB Chad Pennington

Week Two - New England, Brady won't play. I.R.

Week Three - San Diego, Merriman won't play. I.R.

Week Four - Arizona. Kurt Warner, check both ways before crossing the street. I feel for your safety.

:)

Man things are finally starting to bounce the jets way...I feel like this could be the season where all of the pain and suffering Jets fans have gone through will be paid off. Like cashing in on a retirement account.

Oh wait...I just jinxed it. My bad guys, when Favre, Rhodes, Cotch, Harris, Fanaca, Revis and Mangold all go down next week w/ torn ACL's I apologize ahead of time...

I guess after he was largely uneffective and barely could stay on the field he wised up. There was no need at 24 years old to go out there and risk his career like he did last Sunday and certainly not for the enitre season. Wise move Shawne, wise move.

Man things are finally starting to bounce the jets way...I feel like this could be the season where all of the pain and suffering Jets fans have gone through will be paid off. Like cashing in on a retirement account.

Oh wait...I just jinxed it. My bad guys, when Favre, Rhodes, Cotch, Harris, Fanaca, Revis and Mangold all go down next week w/ torn ACL's I apologize ahead of time...

wow dude you seriously need psychological help....:bag:

oh and we still have to get through Denver and the Stealers (thats the correct spelling)...they arent gonna be a push over...and Indy...and San Diego, and New England twice and Miami again and Buffalo twice.....

I guess after he was largely uneffective and barely could stay on the field he wised up. There was no need at 24 years old to go out there and risk his career like he did last Sunday and certainly not for the enitre season. Wise move Shawne, wise move.

I didn't see the game except the last drive. Did he play like crap?

He was in and out of the game all day and applied very little pressure. Honestly I didn't see anything. Two tackles, zero sacks. Vernon Gholston when he got close to Pennington but Chad stepped up, was closer on that one play than Merriman was all day to applying any sort of pressure.

He was in and out of the game all day and applied very little pressure. Honestly I didn't see anything. Two tackles, zero sacks. Vernon Gholston when he got close to Pennington but Chad stepped up, was closer on that one play than Merriman was all day to applying any sort of pressure.

Interesting. I guess one game is all it took to get his ego in line.

I really feel sorry for this kid. is heart is clearly in the game and that's what i've always liked about nfl players, their pride. Of course the want to be paid but for the most part these players want to be there. i wish him well.

I always thought it was strange that Merriman got such hate on these boards. He picked us over New England, and made fun of crybaby Fins players. How can anyone hate this guy? Well, if you're a Cheatriot or a crybaby finfan, but I mean, we're Jets fans.

Archived