Palm Beach Post on Penny's lack of arm strength

will

He threw for 250 yards with a team without a single developed wide receiver, in fact a team which purposely unloaded it's only wide receiver threat, Chris Chambers, last year. Nevertheless, he had them in the game right down to the last desperation pass.

You think that was a bad performance?

He lost, sure. But he did not give a bad performance by a long shot.

He didn't play badly, but that is not the point. He played just as he has for us the last few years. He moved the ball with short, accurate passing, but couldn't stretch the field enough to win the game in the end. He will have lots of drives for field goals, but when he needs to play catch-up, he will wind up throwing interceptions, and not closing the deal. He will never be a super bowl winning QB, and taking a good team to a wild card game is not good enough for the Jets and Eric Mangini anymore, and I can't be happier seeing another fan base going through this debate of Chad's pros and cons like we had to suffer through since what seems like forever.

He didn't play badly, but that is not the point.

I'm sorry, but how well you play very much is the point.

........He moved the ball with short, accurate passing, but couldn't stretch the field enough to win the game in the end. He will have lots of drives for field goals....... he will wind up throwing interceptions, and not closing the deal.
That last interception was a ball which simply had to be thrown because time was running out. You could call it a Hail Mary pass, except that he had moved the ball down fairly close to the goal line, which shows leadership and mastery of the game. He wasn't helped one bit by one of his "star" running backs forcing him to use a critical timeout near the end of the game. If that guy had lined up in the right formation, Pennington would not have had to burn a needless timeout, he could have used said timeout on a different play. As a result, Pennington likely would have have had 20 seconds or so more of game time on those last plays and would not have had to take a chance with that last pass.

He will never be a super bowl winning QB, and taking a good team to a wild card game is not good enough for the Jets and Eric Mangini anymore,

Everytime Pennington goes down with injury the Jets fall apart, and almost always when he comes back they get it together and play respectably or better than respectably. The big exception was 2007, when Tangini did not realize until the season started that his front line was one good player, (Pete Kendall), away from total collapse. I would say that in 2006 at least, there might not be more than ten QB's who could have taken the Jets to the playoffs-the team was that flawed-and Pennington's arm still was not fully healed yet.

If I had a good, strong, well balanced team in all areas and had someone of Pennington's ability at the helm, I would feel very good about my chances of getting to the Super Bowl. I'm not saying there aren't better QB's out there-we now have one-but I know in Pennington I have a guy who will do the smart thing and maximize my chances of winning. And that counts a hell of a lot more than arm strength.

Fran Tarkenton once said that arm strength is about the fifth most important aspect of a QB, and everything I have seen in the years since he said that bears him out.

Pennington's problem is ever since that playoff in Oakland and moreso since the surguries, there isn't any secret to defensing him. The closer you get to tne end zone, the more compressed the field he can work within gets, more chances he fails. Keep everyone in front of you, and because he has to string together so many little short passes top move the ball, sooner or later he runs out of time, downs or something goes wrong. He has to string together to many plays to do anything, and those odds start to work against you.

Archived