Who's got Facebook?

Jetheelz

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just keep in mind that employers do search for you on the internet so be careful what you put out there, a lot of things can come back to haunt you. That's why we use screen names here. ;)
Exactly. The internet is not anonymous, not even close. Any employer can look you up and probably get your IP address realtively easily. Most employment contracts and union agreements waive your confidentiality to these things, always with a catch all "best interests/conduct unbecoming" type policy statement.It's very uncomfortable to be with a client at an administrative hearing regarding employment and the questions about email accounts, IP addresses and Facebook and Myspace accounts start getting asked.

It's a really bad idea. But an even worse idea if you start posting dumb, inappropriate or criminal wanabee stupidity.

Exactly. The internet is not anonymous, not even close. Any employer can look you up and probably get your IP address realtively easily. Most employment contracts and union agreements waive your confidentiality to these things, always with a catch all "best interests/conduct unbecoming" type policy statement.It's very uncomfortable to be with a client at an administrative hearing regarding employment and the questions about email accounts, IP addresses and Facebook and Myspace accounts start getting asked.

It's a really bad idea. But an even worse idea if you start posting dumb, inappropriate or criminal wanabee stupidity.

Well, my wife is one of my friends on Facebook, so I really have to watch my ass anyway :biggrin:

maybe we should start a Jet Nation facebook group. . This way we all know whos there. . . anyone want to create it?? lol

I made one, just under "Jet Nation"

We actually have one:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1432953397

Gang Green Man started it for us last year, just started using it again. Definitely would have been better to do it as Jet Nation the way you just did though.

:)

• 1 month later...

I created a fake profile on Facebook. My brother and I were in cohoots in an effort to check in on my nephew/his kid's account there. I, nor does he, beleive in absolute child privacy/trust. You see, my brother and I grew up as latch-key kids. We know.

The only person I have added from school is a fellow teacher. No students whatsoever, for obvious reasons.

PS-Sorry I was not trying to steal your thread idea....I didnt know you had already made a post like this. Note to self: use search feature next time :)

Facebook's great, it's amazing that I'm able to keep in touch with all of these people I thought I'd only see every 10 years on what is now a daily basis.

FYI, if you're a teacher, there's an ongoing debate right now in the field of ethics on whether or not it's appropriate for students and teachers to be "friends" on online networking sites. Academic papers have been written on the subject believe it or not (quite frankly, I think it's a ridiculous subject to dedicate studies to, but whatever...). IMHO, if you must, stay away until they've graduated, so long as the pictures on your page aren't too racy.

ut oh....Freudian slip?

Thanks for pointing that out. We took him in when he was homeless and he forgets our name. Nice. Real nice.

Don't feel bad, the other day I went to show a friend at work something on "my site". I then got a message about an ip ban. Realized I typed in ji.com instead.

Max has penis envy.

I created a fake profile on Facebook. My brother and I were in cohoots in an effort to check in on my nephew/his kid's account there. I, nor does he, beleive in absolute child privacy/trust. You see, my brother and I grew up as latch-key kids. We know.

Holy crap, you really are the creepy stalker aunt type person!!

I got a facebook, there's one teacher that I know about that has it. I curse on it, but other than that I'm a good kid. The teacher doesn't friend request kids, but some kids friend request him, which I dislike because then he can see what I say on those people's walls, etc. And because my schools private by religion, I have to keep a relatively tight lip on my true convictions.

FYI, if you're a teacher, there's an ongoing debate right now in the field of ethics on whether or not it's appropriate for students and teachers to be "friends" on online networking sites. Academic papers have been written on the subject believe it or not (quite frankly, I think it's a ridiculous subject to dedicate studies to, but whatever...). IMHO, if you must, stay away until they've graduated, so long as the pictures on your page aren't too racy.

I deleted my page. Not worth the hassle.

Thanks for pointing that out. We took him in when he was homeless and he forgets our name. Nice. Real nice.

Don't feel bad, the other day I went to show a friend at work something on "my site". I then got a message about an ip ban. Realized I typed in ji.com instead.

Max has penis envy.

I apologize max... I can only say I will never give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna run around and desert you....

If I search PatsyBeeyatch, will I find it?

Seems everyones got facebook right now. The one bad/good thing about Facebook (and now myspace, copycats) is that people can "tag" you in their photos. So while you might not want to put photos of yourself boozing/smoking/etc up online, other people can. And even if you remove the tag, their photos might be public so people can still find pictures of you that you don't want them to see. Just a warning/heads up.

This is true, I work with youth, and unfortunately there's a couple of unflattering pictures out there from college floating around posted by my @sshat friends. Good thing they haven't found it yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived