playoff history lesson--really makes me appreciate the yanks

Blackout

I was bored and decided to do some baseball research, since I cant wait another month. Look at these achievements, just realising these career feats makes me forget about the horrible tragedy that happened last October :twisted:

all time post-season records

At Bats Player AB PA

1. Bernie Williams 443 521

2. Derek Jeter 441 506

3. David Justice 398 471

4. Tino Martinez 348 396

5. Kenny Lofton 336 379

6. Chipper Jones 316 391

7. Paul O'Neill 299 340

8. Manny Ramirez 297 348

9. Reggie Jackson 281 318

10. Jorge Posada 280 331

Runs Player R PA

1. Bernie Williams 81 521

2. Derek Jeter 77 506

3. Kenny Lofton 61 379

4(T). Chipper Jones 55 391

David Justice 55 471

6. Rickey Henderson 47 262

7. Tino Martinez 44 396

8(T). Mickey Mantle 42 273

Manny Ramirez 42 348

10. Yogi Berra 41 295

Reggie Jackson 41 318

Hits Player H PA

1. Derek Jeter 135 506

2. Bernie Williams 124 521

3. Chipper Jones 93 391

4. David Justice 89 471

5. Pete Rose 86 300

6. Paul O'Neill 85 340

7. Kenny Lofton 84 379

8. Tino Martinez 83 396

9. Reggie Jackson 78 318

10. Manny Ramirez 76 348

Total Bases Rank Player TB PA

1. Bernie Williams 217 521

2. Derek Jeter 201 506

3. David Justice 152 471

4. Reggie Jackson 148 318

5. Chipper Jones 145 391

6. Manny Ramirez 142 348

7. Paul O'Neill 139 340

8. Tino Martinez 125 396

9. Mickey Mantle 123 273

10. Steve Garvey 122 232

Home Runs Player HR PA

1. Bernie Williams 22 521

2. Reggie Jackson 18 318

Mickey Mantle 18 273

Manny Ramirez 18 348

5. Jim Thome 17 216

6. Babe Ruth 15 167

7. Derek Jeter 14 506

David Justice 14 471

9. Yogi Berra 12 295

Chipper Jones 12 391

RBI Player RBI PA

1. Bernie Williams 79 521

2. David Justice 63 471

3. Reggie Jackson 48 318

4. Chipper Jones 45 391

5. Manny Ramirez 44 348

6. Derek Jeter 42 506

7. Mickey Mantle 40 273

8. Yogi Berra 39 295

Paul O'Neill 39 340

10. Tino Martinez 38 396

source: http://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/leaders_career_bat.shtml

if Bernie Williams isn't a first ballet hall of famer, then nobody deserves to be.

Blackout:

I don't know about Bernie. His postseason stuff is not up for debate. But his body of work in the regular season is definitely lacking.

He will end up with less than 2,500 hits. Around 300 HRs and an average below .300. Not hall of fame stuff.

It will be interesting how this group is perceived come ballot time. Do they get credit for the Championships? They should.

That being said Bernie probably makes it but not on the first try IMO. I wouldn't vote for him the 1st time around.

That list is jaded due to the simple fact that the Yankees play more post season games then anyone else.

thats my entire point of this thread :lol:

whenever I see Red Sox fans on here talking trash, this thread is made to remind them that one world series for boston will never make up for the historical things Jeter and Bernie have done over the last 9 years :twisted:

I'm rubbing in the fact that the Yankees have done so much historically while all the sox have done is win one world series after 85 years of nothingness. it makes me feel better about myself while I wait for april to start...

Truth be told, if Bernie isnt a first ballot HOF'er, Jim Rice still deserves to be.

Its borderline criminal that he isnt in the HOF.

This may be the first and only time that Jet/Bosox and myself acutally agree on something.

Bernie has had a solid career. NOT a HOF career. IF Bernie does get in then guys like Rice, Dwight Evans and Andre Dawson better already be in.

The fact that Rice is not in IS borderline criminal. The guy was one of the most dominant and feared hitters of his era. The only reason he is not in is the fact that the he had a very rocky relationship with the media.

Sheesh I feel so dirty now.

This may be the first and only time that Jet/Bosox and myself acutally agree on something.

Bernie has had a solid career. NOT a HOF career. IF Bernie does get in then guys like Rice, Dwight Evans and Andre Dawson better already be in.

The fact that Rice is not in IS borderline criminal. The guy was one of the most dominant and feared hitters of his era. The only reason he is not in is the fact that the he had a very rocky relationship with the media.

Sheesh I feel so dirty now.

bernie was at his best when it matters, the guy puts up stats when he has to, not when your team was usually out of the playoff race by August like Rice

bernie was at his best when it matters, the guy puts up stats when he has to, not when your team was usually out of the playoff race by August like Rice

Well if that was the case then we should put in guys like Scott Brosius, Lenny Dykstra and Kirk Gibson.

The HOF should be (and sometimes it is not) a place for the games revered. Rice was one of those guys you used to shudder when he came to the plate. He was one the premiere power hitters of the late 70's and 80's and he there is no doubt that he belongs in the HOF.

Now excuse me while I go throw up.

Well if that was the case then we should put in guys like Scott Brosius, Lenny Dykstra and Kirk Gibson.

The HOF should be (and sometimes it is not) a place for the games revered. Rice was one of those guys you used to shudder when he came to the plate. He was one the premiere power hitters of the late 70's and 80's and he there is no doubt that he belongs in the HOF.

Now excuse me while I go throw up.

Rice deserves to be in the HOF, I'm just saying that Bernie Williams should be a damn near lock considering many of his records may take decades to break (dynasties are a rare thing these days)

Shouldn't there be another column with how much money George spent to get all these records? :roll:

or how any other owner in sports has the opportunity to do the same but chooses not to :roll:

you guys are real cry babies, you win the world series with the leagues second highest payroll and yet you still have to blame the big bad yankees for everything

Blackout...here is your argument:

Too bad that the Yankees spent egregious amounts of money to buy 4 rings. And too bad they spend mind-bogglingly egregious amounts of money to win NOTHING of significance since 2000. There is no law against it.

but please for crying out loud...

STOP PRETENDING THESE YANKEE RECORDS MEAN A DAMN THING. NOBODY IS IMPRESSED BY THIS TEAM WHEN THEY WIN AND EVERYBODY LOVES TO WATCH THEM LOSE!!! Kinda like what we are seeing with Barry Bonds. Everyone knows he's cheating and he's gonna break Hank's record. Nobody cares and nobody is going to be impressed. The stats provided in this thread are laughable.

Blackout...here is your argument:

Too bad that the Yankees spent egregious amounts of money to buy 4 rings. And too bad they spend mind-bogglingly egregious amounts of money to win NOTHING of significance since 2000. There is no law against it.

but please for crying out loud...

STOP PRETENDING THESE YANKEE RECORDS MEAN A DAMN THING. NOBODY IS IMPRESSED BY THIS TEAM WHEN THEY WIN AND EVERYBODY LOVES TO WATCH THEM LOSE!!! Kinda like what we are seeing with Barry Bonds. Everyone knows he's cheating and he's gonna break Hank's record. Nobody cares and nobody is going to be impressed. The stats provided in this thread are laughable.

I'm sorry to go off-topic, but your signature negates everything you say

don't make stupid bets and I'll take you seriously :lol:

have a nice day

and keep the avatar 8)

that bet emantated from some retarded loudmouth running his gums about who would win the higher percentage of the remaining 9 games between the Evil Empire and the Mighty World-conquering dynasty known as Red Sox Nation.

We still won the season series, the AL penant, and the World F*cking Series.

I'm shocked that no one has mentioned that Bernie Williams and all the other Yanks in the top ten have had the luxury of playing three postseason series' a year.

Makes it a lot easier to pad stats in three series, rather than the ONE everyone played in for 100 years.

Bernie's postseason numbers are over-rated. Mickey Mantle's AREN'T, and they are downright amazing.

I'm shocked that no one has mentioned that Bernie Williams and all the other Yanks in the top ten have had the luxury of playing three postseason series' a year.

Makes it a lot easier to pad stats in three series, rather than the ONE everyone played in for 100 years.

Bernie's postseason numbers are over-rated. Mickey Mantle's AREN'T, and they are downright amazing.

I mentioned the same ...these stats are a joke.

David Justice was the RBI leader for years simply because the Braves always won the NL EAST and then he went to Cleveland when they were good and ended with the Yanks and A's.

Archived