Reports: Tazawa to sign with Red Sox

NIGHT STALKER

Reports coming out of Japan indicate that the Red Sox are the choice of coveted amateur pitcher Junichi Tazawa, a 22-year-old righthander who idolizes Daisuke Matsuzaka. Sankei Sports reported on Thursday that Tazawa told an associate that he has agreed to a three-year major league deal with the Red Sox, placing him on Boston's 40-man roster. The official announcement is expected on Dec. 1 according to the report.

Boston Globe

If we're all around, let's revisit this guy in a few years. Asian pitchers don't have a history of playing on a top level that long. Jury is still out on Wang as well.

Nomo was the exception to the rule.

If by exception, you mean mediocre. I agree. ;)

As far as Dice-K, he remains to be seen. He has to find a happy medium. Two years ago he challenged more and got bombed a lot. Last year, he got too cute and almost had 100 walks.

If by exception, you mean mediocre. I agree. ;)

As far as Dice-K, he remains to be seen. He has to find a happy medium. Two years ago he challenged more and got bombed a lot. Last year, he got too cute and almost had 100 walks.

I'm talking longevity and performance. He's pitched like 12 or 13 years and has a winning percentage...above average I would say.

Do you think Dice K will be around that long?

His fastball is flat. His off speed stuff is too close in velocity to his hard stuff. The Sox can have him.

(I have never seen him pitch, I am just getting my excuses ready for when they sign him).

Max is 100% correct. While I'm basing it on nothing, since he's joining thr Sawx, this guy sucks.

May be we could interest you in a few great young pitchers of great potential in order to take this stiff off your hands?

They paid a ridiculous amount to talk to him......then cried and had Selig bail them our by paying so much less than he should have got

Now....he's your 3rd starter, that no Sawx fan has faith in

What crazy world do you live in?

You never called him Great. I still don't think he is worth what he shook you guys down for. I would think that you would agree that he isn't.

I would say wait until his contract is up.

33-15 so far is not too bad.

Matsuzaka was averaging 5.7 innings per start last season. Hard to say that is worth what the Red Sox gave him. He also walked 94 batters in 167.2 Innings pitched. The only reason why his record has been so successful is because the bullpen showed up on games that he was pitching in, or the batters gave him a big lead, and the Red Sox were able to hold it for the 4 innings that their bullpen pitched.

Archived