Yankees back in Teixeira sweepstakes

NIGHT STALKER

LOL...this is going to be good!

(Jon Heyman, 09:45 AM ET)

The Yankees, who are pressing for pitching and have money to burn, have re-entered the Mark Teixeira Sweepstakes, SI.com has learned.

It had been presumed the Yankees were concentrating only on starting pitching for the moment. But sources tell SI.com that the Yankees aren't about to concede Teixeira to the rival Red Sox or anyone else. Word in

baseball circles on Wednesday was that the Boston appeared to be the favorite to land the star free-agent first baseman.

The Angels, Nationals and Orioles are all pressing for Teixeira, as well, with the price likely to approach or hit the $200-million mark. There have been reports suggesting some Angels pitcher are discouraged, but it appears they remain very much in the picture.

There are some people who believe Teixeira would rather go to the East Coast, and if that's true the Yankees could be an interesting fit. The Orioles and Nationals are pressing hard, and while Teixeira is a native of Severna Park, Md., neither of his local teams appears ready to win.

The Yankees are also pushing for A.J. Burnett, talking seriously to Derek Lowe and investigating whether to make a bid for Ben Sheets. The Yankees' biggest need is pitching, and if they sign three more pitchers beyond CC Sabathia, they can probably be counted out on Teixeira. But until that time, they should be considered to be in the Teixeira Sweepstakes. If they do sign Teixeira, Nick Swisher would be switched to the outfield.

Yankees took $88 mil off the books after 2008 and will take off another $35 mil in 2009 (Damon and Matsui). CC at $23, Burnett at $16, Lowe at $16 only equals $55 mil. You better believe they have and extra $20-$22 mil to throw at Tex to bring him to NY and keep him away from the Red Sox.

It will get interesting.

Don't want him

But if they can drive his price to over $200 million that the Sawx end up paying, I'm all for it

Why? We need a bat badly...our run production was off last year and we dumped two contributing bats with Abreu and Giambi...who is going to make up for that?

Don't want him

But if they can drive his price to over $200 million that the Sawx end up paying, I'm all for it

Why?

He is under 30 and would give you a legit bat for 1st. What? You like Nick Swisher more?

Why?

He is under 30 and would give you a legit bat for 1st. What? You like Nick Swisher more?

No...I just don;t want to lock someone into 1st base longterm when I think within the year or so, Posada will be there

They have to move him there eventually

Why? We need a bat badly...our run production was off last year and we dumped two contributing bats with Abreu and Giambi...who is going to make up for that?

NS you mentioned that the Yankees dumped two contributing bats but then failed to produce evidence.

:)

I'd rather have Posada as my switch hitting DH than my everyday 1st baseman.

Exactly, not wanting a hitter like Tex is pure blasphemy. The kid is the goods, and for me I'm feeling shades of when we got Moose and the Sox got Manny. How'd that work out for us? I hope Cashman realizes this, you really can't have Arod carry the whole team as Jeter and Jorge are trending down, and we'd have to pray that Cano's season last year was a abberation. Believe it or not... Tex brings a nice stability to our offense. Burnett and Sheets would be nice additions but I'd rather have Tex.

Exactly, not wanting a hitter like Tex is pure blasphemy. The kid is the goods, and for me I'm feeling shades of when we got Moose and the Sox got Manny. How'd that work out for us? I hope Cashman realizes this, you really can't have Arod carry the whole team as Jeter and Jorge are trending down, and we'd have to pray that Cano's season last year was a abberation. Believe it or not... Tex brings a nice stability to our offense. Burnett and Sheets would be nice additions but I'd rather have Tex.

I want them all! Burnett, Peavy, Manny and Tex.

Sabathia

Wang

Burnett/Sheets/Lowe

Joba

????

Damon

Jeter

Arod

Texiera

Manny

Nady

Posada

Cano

Cameron

Sabathia, a second stud pitcher, Manny and Texiera would cost roughly what we have already freed up and we would free up more money by trading Godzilla.

Sign me up. I got used to Boggs and Clemens in a Yankees uniform. I am pretty sure that I would be OK with Manny being Manny after the first couple of vomiting fits pass.

Sabathia

Wang

Burnett/Sheets/Lowe

Joba

????

Damon

Jeter

Arod

Texiera

Manny

Nady

Posada

Cano

Cameron

Sabathia, a second stud pitcher, Manny and Texiera would cost roughly what we have already freed up and we would free up more money by trading Godzilla.

Sign me up. I got used to Boggs and Clemens in a Yankees uniform. I am pretty sure that I would be OK with Manny being Manny after the first couple of vomiting fits pass.

I'd love to get rid of him. And I was a huge Matsui guy but there comes a time when you try to get rid of a player. But who in the AL wants him? I can't see him to be desirable in the NL cause he's not a great outfielder.

You only need to score more runs than the other team. We'll win games with good defense and pitching.

That said, now that we have CC, I'm not opposed to Texiera, only because I don't love having Swish in the lineup every day.

I'd love to get rid of him. And I was a huge Matsui guy but there comes a time when you try to get rid of a player. But who in the AL wants him? I can't see him to be desirable in the NL cause he's not a great outfielder.

If the Yankees eat a few million of the contract somebody would be glad to give up a mid-level or low-level prospect for a chance to see if Matsui can remain healthy and return to form.

Archived