NEW COORDINATOR WANTS TO GET BEST OF VERNON

SoFlaJets

By Brian Costello

Rex Ryan is not going to tackle the Vernon Gholston project alone. The Jets' first-round draft pick also will have to deal with new defensive coordinator Mike Pettine.

Pettine scouted Gholston before last year's draft, when the Jets took him with the sixth pick, and he saw trouble signs then.

"I thought he was a tremendous athlete, but being in shorts is one thing and how it carries over to the field is another," Pettine said in a conference call yesterday. "We liked him for sure, but there was a lack of consistency in some of his play. He would have a flash of brilliance for two or three plays, then disappear."

With the Jets, he disappeared for nearly his entire rookie season. Gholston finished with one solo tackle on defense and was inactive against Buffalo in December. Coming out of Ohio State, the Jets gave Gholston a contract with $21 million guaranteed.

Ryan and Pettine need to make him earn that money now.

"From a physical standpoint, he's got all the tools," Pettine said. "I'm looking forward to meeting Vernon and seeing what makes him tick. . . . If the guy's got it in him, we're gonna get it out of him."

Pettine followed Ryan from Baltimore, where he was the outside linebackers coach.

He took an interesting path to the NFL. His father, also named Mike, is a legendary high school football coach in Pennsylvania. He retired from Central Bucks West in 1999 with 326 victories, four state titles and with the highest winning percentage in state history.

Pettine followed his father into coaching, first as a graduate assistant at Pittsburgh and then as a high school coach. The Ravens hired him in 2002 to work in the video department, but he joined the coaching staff a year later.

"Whether it was real or perceived, I always felt I had something to prove, being someone who didn't take the traditional path," Pettine said. "There aren't too many high school coaches who make it in the NFL. I've used that to motivate me."

Ryan will call the defensive plays, but Pettine will be heavily involved. He promised a flexible system that will employ 3-4 personnel but feature varied looks.

"We've always been of the mindset of, you fit your system to the players, not the players to the system," Pettine said. "Over time, you can bring in guys that fit you best, but in the short term, we're not going to come in with the playbook and say we're squeezing New York Jets personnel into the Baltimore Ravens' playbook. The cornerstone of our system is our flexibility."

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can the Jets' new defensive coordinator get the most out of Vernon Gholston?

In the span of a week the New York Jets added Rex Ryan, a new head coach with defensive foundations, and Mike Pettine, a new defensive coordinator. Needless to say, there's plenty of focus on the defense, further emphasized by the recent commentary from both coaches regarding struggling Jets linebacker Vernon Gholston.

This new kind of openness from coach-to-media is catching veteran reporters off guard. Just ask Star-Ledger beat writer Dave Hutchinson what he thinks:

Boy, this new speak-your-mind fever spreading through the Jets' Florham Park training facility is great. We beat writers didn't even get answers this straight under my old pal Herm Edwards.

The topic is Vernon Gholston, the New York Jets' first round pick in 2008. Expected to make an impact on defense last season, Gholston did anything but, recording only one solo tackle with zeros across the board for sacks and interceptions.

But the Jets aren't giving up hope just yet. Rex Ryan's quote is Newsday is just about as direct a response as you can now come to expect:

"We hope he can be a great player," Ryan said. "A lot of us aren't sure, but we're going to find out. If he can't do it for me and for this team, he's never going to do it."

Pettine hardly strays from that same speak-your-mind philosophy.

The New York Post:

"From a physical standpoint, he's got all the tools," Pettine said. "I'm looking forward to meeting Vernon and seeing what makes him tick. . . . If the guy's got it in him, we're gonna get it out of him."

In that story, Pettine mentions how Gholston was on the Ravens' radar before the draft but didn't strike him, or the team, as a confident pick.

Back in November reports surfaced that legendary New York Giants linebacker Lawrence Taylor had taken a liking to Gholston, so much in fact that he was willing to work with him in the offseason. Now that the Jets' management is also taking a proactive approach to working with Gholston, can Jets fans expect a new and improved Vernon Gholston for 2009?

No ****

the more I see this Gholston situation I realize how critical it is to get it fixed-AND FAST Mick. These are the kinds of draftees that get guys fired and set back franchises 5 years (read; Miami Dolphins).

If the Jets wanted a LBer then we should have drafted one instead of trying to turn a DE into one. The way I'm viewing it now is the Jets have already picked their 2009 1st round pick his name? Vernon Gholston-I hope he has a great rookie season.

By Erik Boland

For the second straight day, a Jets coach discussed in blunt terms the team's top draft pick last year.

After being introduced as coach Wednesday, Rex Ryan told Jets beat reporters that Gholston will have to "humble himself" and be open to coaching.

"We hope he can be a great player," Ryan said. "A lot of us aren't sure, but we're going to find out. If he can't do it for me and for this team, he's never going to do it."

Yesterday it was defensive coordinator Mike Pettine's turn. Pettine, who has been associated with Ryan in Baltimore the last seven seasons, said Gholston was on the Ravens' draft board last April.

"I thought that he was a tremendous athlete if you just look at what he did at the Combine, but being in shorts is one thing. How it carries out on the field is another," Pettine said. "We liked him [at Ohio State]. Some of the issues - lack of consistency in some of his play. He would flash brilliance for two or three snaps and then, for a while in the game, he would disappear."

In Gholston's rookie season, he was hardly there. He had only 13 tackles and no sacks, struggling in his conversion from down lineman at Ohio State to outside linebacker.

But Ryan and Pettine believe their 3-4 scheme has the best chance to bring out Gholston's strengths, and not just his. The reason, Pettine said, is the flexibility of Ryan's version of the 3-4.

"The one thing about our system is that it is player-driven," Pettine said. "We are going to evaluate during the spring what our players do well and what they don't do well. We've always been of the mind-set that you fit your system to your players and not your players to your system."

Pettine added: "We're not going to come in here with a set playbook and say, 'We're going to try to squeeze the New York Jets' personnel into the Baltimore Ravens' defensive playbook.' That's not the case ... The cornerstone of our system is its flexibility."

Like Ryan, he ticked off a few of the Jets' standouts on defense - nose tackle Kris Jenkins, safety Kerry Rhodes, cornerback Darrelle Revis and linebackers Calvin Pace and David Harris.

"When you look at it," Pettine said, "the cupboard's not bare."

Pettine's road to the NFL has been different from most. The son of Mike Pettine, a Pennsylvania high school coaching legend at Central Bucks West, he coached for seven years at that level. Pettine, 42, joined the Ravens as a video assistant in 2002, when he met Ryan. Pettine said the sons of coaches were "drawn to each other" immediately.

Although he finds himself an NFL defensive coordinator after humble coaching beginnings, Pettine doesn't suffer from amnesia.

"I think the path helped me," he said. "I always felt that whether it was real or perceived, I always felt that I had something to prove."

The Mike Pettine file

(Pronounced PET-tin)

Joined the Ravens in 2002 as a video assistant before joining the defensive staff in 2003.

Coached the Ravens' outside linebackers the last four seasons.

Coached high school football in Pennsylvania at North Penn and William Tennent after working as a graduate assistant for Johnny Majors at the University of Pittsburgh (1993-94).

Spent four years as an assistant coach for his father, Mike Pettine Sr., at Central Bucks West High School. He recently retired as the winningest high school coach in Pennsylvania history, posting a record of 326-42-4 in 33 seasons.

Pettine played free safety at Virginia, graduating in 1987, after earning all-state honors as a quarterback and defensive back for his father at Central Bucks West.

the more I see this Gholston situation I realize how critical it is to get it fixed-AND FAST Mick. These are the kinds of draftees that get guys fired and set back franchises 5 years (read; Miami Dolphins).

If the Jets wanted a LBer then we should have drafted one instead of trying to turn a DE into one. The way I'm viewing it now is the Jets have already picked their 2009 1st round pick his name? Vernon Gholston-I hope he has a great rookie season.

I agree I was just commenting on the title. I'm hoping Gholston will play like Mario Williams did in his second year.

I get why Gholston keeps getting picked on, lets not forget other guys like Bryan Thomas and Kerry Rhodes who fell asleep as well. The whole defensive squad should be on alert and many of them are highly paid

Sounds like they will be getting a wake up call soon!

I believe in Rex and Pettine. But the cynical part of me says that this Vernon talk is a ruse to this extent:

Rex and Pettine know that Vernon was misused and poorly coached by Mangini and his staff. They had Vernon do stuff he wasn't trained or experienced to do. Vernon is not a read-and-react, decide whether to attack the QB or drop into coverage, football player. Vernon is a rush DE/OLB, that's it. Get the QB or attack the RB behind the line of scrimmage. That's what his role has always been.

As such, Rex and Pettine know they have to put him in the role he is accostomed to, Vernon will have some success, and the media will laude Rex and Pettine as great coaches.

I believe in Rex and Pettine. But the cynical part of me says that this Vernon talk is a ruse to this extent:

Rex and Pettine know that Vernon was misused and poorly coached by Mangini and his staff. They had Vernon do stuff he wasn't trained or experienced to do. Vernon is not a read-and-react, decide whether to attack the QB or drop into coverage, football player. Vernon is a rush DE/OLB, that's it. Get the QB or attack the RB behind the line of scrimmage. That's what his role has always been.

As such, Rex and Pettine know they have to put him in the role he is accostomed to, Vernon will have some success, and the media will laude Rex and Pettine as great coaches.

great post SMC-you said it all

I don't know if I'm as confident as you are, but that's the talk we're getting. Talk about finding out what players do well and getting the most out of them, while abandoning what they don't do well. Vernon's designed to move upfield. If the coaches move him exclusively in that direction, they'll be on the road to getting something out of him.

I do like all the talk about Gholston. It's imperative that they get value out of a highly paid #6 overall pick. They seem to recognize that.

I don't know if I'm as confident as you are, but that's the talk we're getting. Talk about finding out what players do well and getting the most out of them, while abandoning what they don't do well. Vernon's designed to move upfield. If the coaches move him exclusively in that direction, they'll be on the road to getting something out of him.

I do like all the talk about Gholston. It's imperative that they get value out of a highly paid #6 overall pick. They seem to recognize that.

It's not really confidence as it is common sense to me. Vernon knows how to do 1 thing well: rush. The only "coaching" Rex/Pettine need to do is show him an NFL effective technique on shedding blocks. They do that and put Vernon in his role as what he was trained to do and Vernon will be looked at as a success and the media will applaud Rex/Pettine.

Mangini was too smart and too stubborn for his own good. He wanted Gholston to play the OLB position as a rookie just as good as Pace and Thomas. That means, he had to be able to read the offense, anticipate when it was a run or pass, and decide whether to drop into coverage or attack the QB based on the play called.

So, this was Mangini's direction to Vernon:

"You see X formation, you do Y, you see the RB do Z, you do A, but if the QB does C, you do G, but if the TE does L, you must do S but only if the QB does K and the RB does T."

Rex/Pettine's direction to Vernon will be:

"Go after the QB, and if you see the RB get the ball, go after him."

I think peoples' asses are on the line if he turns out to be the worst case scenario (read: Mike T) Slats; El Busto

It's not really confidence as it is common sense to me. Vernon knows how to do 1 thing well: rush. The only "coaching" Rex/Pettine need to do is show him an NFL effective technique on shedding blocks. They do that and put Vernon in his role as what he was trained to do and Vernon will be looked at as a success and the media will applaud Rex/Pettine.

Mangini was too smart and too stubborn for his own good. He wanted Gholston to play the OLB position as a rookie just as good as Pace and Thomas. That means, he had to be able to read the offense, anticipate when it was a run or pass, and decide whether to drop into coverage or attack the QB based on the play called.

So, this was Mangini's direction to Vernon:

"You see X formation, you do Y, you see the RB do Z, you do A, but if the QB does C, you do G, but if the TE does L, you must do S but only if the QB does K and the RB does T."

which is what our last REAL pass rusher (John Abraham) was SMC

Agreed. I heard a quote from Pettine talking about letting guys loose and worrying about teaching them the other aspects of the game as time goes on. Without naming names, it's pretty obvious he was referring to Gholston and criticizing the way Mangini and staff handled him at the same time.

Ha!

It probably won't be quite that simple, but I agree. I want coaches to come in and implement their schemes, but you have to take advantage of the talent you have. By all accounts, Mangini was way too stubborn with Vernon. I don't care if he ever drops back into coverage, and I hope Ryan/Pettine don't give a crap, either. Sounds like maybe they don't.

The biggest concern is motivating the kid. I was glad to hear that he wants to get better, and was going to hire LT to help him do that. That's a start. But his history of taking lots of plays off (mentioned again by Pettine) and the $21M he has guaranteed might be a lethal combination. They have to make it fun for him - something these guys also talk about. Lots of getting after the QB will probably help.

Let's be real here

Take a look at VG's coaches!!!

Bob Sutton...nothing needs to be said here...

Brian Cox... can he string together 2 sentences together?

Eric mangini-- A DB coach who has no clue how to run a D and schemes have

been labeled Pussified Football.

Give vernon real coaches and turn him loose!!!

all these quotes make it sound to me like they are setting us up for his eventual departure

Disagree strongly (simply because that would be a salary cap disaster).

All these quotes sound like they want to look like geniuses when Vernon does what he was always trained to do.

Gholston failure does 3 things: (1) makes Tannenbaum look bad, (2) prevents Rex/Pettine from looking like geniuses, and (3) gets Mangini off the hook.

Now tell me, SJ, does Rex/Pettine want those 3 things to happen? Of course not.

Disagree strongly (simply because that would be a salary cap disaster).

All these quotes sound like they want to look like geniuses when Vernon does what he was always trained to do.

Gholston failure does 3 things: (1) makes Tannenbaum look bad, (2) prevents Rex/Pettine from looking like geniuses, and (3) gets Mangini off the hook.

Now tell me, SJ, does Rex/Pettine want those 3 things to happen? Of course not.

the negative 'we didnt see him as confident pick' quotes are them paving way IN CASE,,

and of course, they wouldnt let him go until 2010

Until this kid get's real coaching..it is too early to give up on him

no kiddin..

i just see the writing on wall by OUR NEW coaches admitting he was over-rated and not consistent..

they will do best but they have allready told us they took him off thier draft board

yup,,,thats why i think his days may be numbered,,

at least when contract up..

His contract is up after 2012. They simply can't get rid of him, SJ, because it's a cap killer. They're forced to try to make it work. Just look at these cap hits if they cut:

2009 - $18.68 million dead money, $15.78 million cap hit

2010 - $15.78 million dead money, $12.3 million cap hit

2011 - $12.3 million dead money, $8.24 million cap hit

2012 - $8.24 million dead money, $3.6 million cap hit.

In contrast, his yearly cap number if on the team never raises above $4.6 million and that's only in his last year. Next year his cap figure is $2.9 million, $3.48 million after that, and $4.06 million after that.

His contract is up after 2012. They simply can't get rid of him, SJ, because it's a cap killer. They're forced to try to make it work. Just look at these cap hits if they cut:

2009 - $18.68 million dead money, $15.78 million cap hit

2010 - $15.78 million dead money, $12.3 million cap hit

2011 - $12.3 million dead money, $8.24 million cap hit

2012 - $8.24 million dead money, $3.6 million cap hit.

In contrast, his yearly cap number if on the team never raises above $4.6 million and that's only in his last year. Next year his cap figure is $2.9 million, $3.48 million after that, and $4.06 million after that.

BS,,he is gone after next season if he doesnt pan out..

no kiddin..

i just see the writing on wall by OUR NEW coaches admitting he was over-rated and not consistent..

they will do best but they have allready told us they took him off thier draft board

They NEVER stated he was over-rated and NEVER said they took him off their draft board.

That's what you're reading into it. Read the quotes again.

They NEVER stated he was over-rated and NEVER said they took him off their draft board.

That's what you're reading into it. Read the quotes again.

haha

u know what they meant ,,come on ,,wake up...

to even say 'we didnt see him as confident pick, he wa sinconsistent etc''

come on ,, smell the coffee,,,its setup time...

yup,,,thats why i think his days may be numbered,,

at least when contract up..

Not at all. They are just being honest that 1) there were people who had doubts about him before he was even drafted and 2) he did nothing to change that negative view last year. But I also believe them that they are anxious to get their hands on him and see what they can do with his potential.

Let's face it, the Jets have a huge investment in him and he probably never would have succeeded with Mangini/Sutton. Now we at least have hope.

haha

u know what they meant ,,come on ,,wake up...

to even say 'we didnt see him as confident pick, he wa sinconsistent etc''

come on ,, smell the coffee,,,its setup time...

You need to wake up because you're simply making stuff up. You're adding your own spin to quotes.

It's not "setup time," get real. They can't get rid of him with that contract. It's you who chose to ignore reality.

Archived