NEW COORDINATOR WANTS TO GET BEST OF VERNON

SoFlaJets

Not at all. They are just being honest that 1) there were people who had doubts about him before he was even drafted and 2) he did nothing to change that negative view last year. But I also believe them that they are anxious to get their hands on him and see what they can do with his potential.

Let's face it, the Jets have a huge investment in him and he probably never would have succeeded with Mangini/Sutton. Now we at least have hope.

yup,,2009 is his chance..

but thats it...

with this staff he has a fighting chance to at least sav e his ass by being a special teams phenom at minimum,,

if not,,adios muchacho in 2010

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You need to wake up because you're simply making stuff up. You're adding your own spin to quotes.

It's not "setup time," get real. They can't get rid of him with that contract. It's you who chose to ignore reality.

hahaha

you may be too young or naive to see thru quotes..

its cool,,time to learn ya :D

u r delusional if u think they will eat him after 2010, regardless of cap if he still isnt even suiting up..delusional

You're delusional because you have no concept of the cap.

In 2011, it will cost the Jets $4.06 million to keep him. If they cut him before 2011, he eats up $12.3 million in dead money. That's like cutting Favre this year and still having $13 million on the cap in dead money. Tannenbaum would never do that.

Get real.

You're delusional because you have no concept of the cap.

In 2011, it will cost the Jets $4.06 million to keep him. If they cut him before 2011, he eats up $12.3 million in dead money. That's like cutting Favre this year and still having $13 million on the cap in dead money. Tannenbaum would never do that.

Get real.

:rl:

ya they are gonna eat him for 4 years not dressing like this year

hahaha

you may be too young or naive to see thru quotes..

its cool,,time to learn ya :D

LOL.

I know how to read through quotes. You're simply wrong because your point makes zero sense in the real world of the salary cap and professional football.

Bottom line is his success is very important to the Jets. If he fails, it is not only wasted potential with the 6th pick of a draft, but the Jets will be saddled with the huge quaranteed portion of his contract.

Man, you love to make stuff up. Keep going.

Study up on the salary cap and research what teams do with first round busts and get back to me.

u r really dont know man,,he is gone IF he doesnt make it this year

Gramps, you simply don't know what the heck you're talking about.

If he doesn't make it this year, they'll give him 2010 to do it, and 2011 if they can. They have to recoup their investment. That's the problem with big money paid to 1st rounders.

Name me ONE 1st round top-10 bust cut for performance reasons after 2 years in the salary cap/FA era. Just one, and I'll let it go.

Guess what, you can't.

u r so far off,,eating him for 4 years if he doesnt suit up at all in 2009

Why make stuff up? Gholston suited up in 15 of 16 games. He had spot duty in all 15.

Who the heck is saying he won't suit up at all in 2009?

My Opinion

IF VG is a weekly non-active player in 2009 ....Rexey will cut bait with him

before year3 and will eat the cap and restructure someone else.

I do believe this CS will get the talent out of him. The Coaching he

has received so far has been pathetic.

My Opinion

IF VG is a weekly non-active player in 2009 ....Rexey will cut bait with him

before year3 and will eat the cap and restructure someone else.

I do believe this CS will get the talent out of him. The Coaching he

has received so far has been pathetic.

What I want to know is, where is this "weekly non-active player in 2009" coming from?

He was deactivated for only 1 game in 2008 because Mangini pulled a hissy fit.

I get why Gholston keeps getting picked on, lets not forget other guys like Bryan Thomas and Kerry Rhodes who fell asleep as well. The whole defensive squad should be on alert and many of them are highly paid

Bryan Thomas fell asleep this season?

That guy's been in hibernation since he was drafted!

Gramps, you simply don't know what the heck you're talking about.

If he doesn't make it this year, they'll give him 2010 to do it, and 2011 if they can. They have to recoup their investment. That's the problem with big money paid to 1st rounders.

Name me ONE 1st round top-10 bust cut for performance reasons after 2 years in the salary cap/FA era. Just one, and I'll let it go.

Guess what, you can't.

haha

i am sure there are some,,like heath schuler,,so the jets trade him like schuler, for a 5th or 6th round pick,,thats what redskins did..

maybe w eget afew used jocks thrown in :D

haha

i am sure there are some,,like heath schuler,,so the jets trade him like schuler, for a 5th or 6th round pick,,thats what redskins did

Actually, no.

Heath Shuler spent 3 seasons with the Skins before he was traded to New Orleans in his 4th year.

Charles Rogers, who was a multiple drug offender, spent 3 seasons with the Lions before he was cut and he was mainly cut because of his drug issues.

Don't get me wrong, the Jets could trade him like D'Rob, but that's near the end of his contract. They're not getting rid of him after this year regardless of what he does.

What I want to know is, where is this "weekly non-active player in 2009" coming from?

He was deactivated for only 1 game in 2008 because Mangini pulled a hissy fit.

If he is always a borderline non-active player, rexey will get rid of him

Again i believe good coaching will draw out talent.

A Bruce was a fairly good example

Bruce was drafted with the first overall pick in the 1988 NFL draft by the Atlanta Falcons.[1] Although he was the first overall pick, Bruce started only 42 games in his 11 year career. Bruce enjoyed his most prominent role on the Falcons 1991 playoff team when he saw spot duty on offense as a tight end as well as defense. He signed with the Los Angeles Raiders as a free agent in 1992 and finished his career with the organization. Bruce played in 151 games over his 11 season career, posting 32 sacks and 4 interceptions. He was quite serviceable in Oakland but never lived up to the high expectations

Actually, no.

Heath Shuler spent 3 seasons with the Skins before he was traded to New Orleans in his 4th year.

Charles Rogers, who was a multiple drug offender, spent 3 seasons with the Lions before he was cut and he was mainly cut because of his drug issues.

Don't get me wrong, the Jets could trade him like D'Rob, but that's near the end of his contract. They're not getting rid of him after this year regardless of what he does.

lawrence Phillips..was a turd , but they did cut him

Let's be real here

Take a look at VG's coaches!!!

Bob Sutton...nothing needs to be said here...

Brian Cox... can he string together 2 sentences together?

Eric mangini-- A DB coach who has no clue how to run a D and schemes have

been labeled Pussified Football.

Give vernon real coaches and turn him loose!!!

I'm hoping this concept is dead on but you can never be sure. I have no doubt that our staff didn't help Gholston's progress at all. My favorite part of Rex Ryan's press conference was when he talked about how lost Terrell Suggs looked in his first TC. It sounded very similar to what Mangini and co. were saying about Gholston in his training camp. Ryan was able to deal with Suggs and the fact that he developed so immensely under his guidance really does get me excited about VG.

Again I have to see the progress before I get caught up in any hype but I'm cautiosly optimistic that he'll make big strides this season.

Considering Gholston's bad first year, I thought the quotes from the new coach were about as positive as can be expected, from Gholston's point of view.

Ryan let him know that Gholston was on his draft board as well, which means that he would have taken him too at some point. Ryan hinted that he might not have been quite as high on Gholston as the Jets, but given Gholston's non-productivity his first year, that is mild criticism indeed. Ryan then made some statements about fitting the system to suit the personnel, inferring that some players did not look as good as they actually were, which would tend to support Gholston.

Outside of Ryan saying, "We love you Vernon, don't worry we all know it was Mangini's fault you had a bad first season", it is hard to imagine Ryan saying anything more positive from Gholston's point of view.

Considering Gholston's bad first year, I thought the quotes from the new coach were about as positive as can be expected.

Ryan let him know that Gholston was on his draft board as well, which means that he would have taken him too at some point. Ryan hinted that he might not have been quite as high on Gholston as the Jets, but given Gholston non-productivity his first year, that is mild criticism indeed. Ryan then made some statements about fitting the system to suit the personnel, inferring that some players did not look as good as they actually were, which would tend to support Gholston.

Outside of Ryan saying, "We love you Vernon, don't worry we all know it was Mangini's fault you had a bad first season", it is hard to imagine Ryan saying anything more positive from Gholston's point of view.

Exactly.

Considering Gholston's bad first year, I thought the quotes from the new coach were about as positive as can be expected, from Gholston's point of view.

Ryan let him know that Gholston was on his draft board as well, which means that he would have taken him too at some point. Ryan hinted that he might not have been quite as high on Gholston as the Jets, but given Gholston's non-productivity his first year, that is mild criticism indeed. Ryan then made some statements about fitting the system to suit the personnel, inferring that some players did not look as good as they actually were, which would tend to support Gholston.

I totally agree..

They are being honest in waht they saw in his college inconssitency and they will give him evbery shot to prove them wrong..

How can we not be hopeful about VG????

Look what Mangini did to event he best players on this D...

Rhodes - Disappeared when Mangini buried him 40 yards downfield...

Vilma - Never used him correctly... sure he wasnt the all-star we all hoped he would be but Mangini certainly did not use him properly....

Thomas - Does he suck? No... Is he really good? No... He is good VS the run and Mangini dropped him in coverage... (insert dunce cap)

Pace - Pass rusher trying to cover #1 TE's... lol... good one...

Jenkins - Once Mangini took over at the end of the year Jenkins was pretty much a non factor...

Lets let a REAL football coach witha REAL defensive mind give VG a try... Im willing to bet he will play like an NFL starter by the time the new stadium opens... and what would be so wrong with having a young gifted OLB?

How can we not be hopeful about VG????

Look what Mangini did to event he best players on this D...

Rhodes - Disappeared when Mangini buried him 40 yards downfield...

Vilma - Never used him correctly... sure he wasnt the all-star we all hoped he would be but Mangini certainly did not use him properly....

Thomas - Does he suck? No... Is he really good? No... He is good VS the run and Mangini dropped him in coverage... (insert dunce cap)

Pace - Pass rusher trying to cover #1 TE's... lol... good one...

Jenkins - Once Mangini took over at the end of the year Jenkins was pretty much a non factor...

Lets let a REAL football coach witha REAL defensive mind give VG a try... Im willing to bet he will play like an NFL starter by the time the new stadium opens... and what would be so wrong with having a young gifted OLB?

yup,,he now has a fightin chance..

if he doesnt make it in this player friendly D that suits his supposed skill set , then I fear its OVAH as assmop would say

yup,,he now has a fightin chance..

if he doesnt make it in this player friendly D that suits his supposed skill set , then I fear its OVAH as assmop would say

Yeah if VG cant look like a serious playmaker by seasons end he will be on his way out slowly... Im not saying he needs to start 16 games this year... or even 1 game... so long as he does what he was drafted to do... be an impact player... even if its only for 15 snaps a game... just show some signs of being a long term impact player...

and hey say what you want about the kid TTBT he went out and hired perhaps the greatest pass rushing LBer (LT) with his own money to tutor him this off season. The kid obviously WANTS it...

hmmmmmmm...

I heard LT was gonna show him all the good toot buyin spots in return

I agree with SMC on the fact Gholston will still be with Jets in 2010. I highly doubt they give up on him after 2 years ( only 1 with Ryan). I think he gets at least 3 years, and if he shows no signs of becoming what they want then they try to trade him for anything to ease the cap hit he would make if they cut him. But, I'm a believer that he will have some success this year with a more competent staff to teach him and put him in position where he can make plays.

Archived