Shea Demolition Thread

AdropOFvenom

• 2 weeks later...

bittersweet. i spent every summer of my childhood at a few games a year there with my uncles and grandfather........that said it was time for that sh*thole to go. i'll just have to start a new tradition with my sons and citifield. my 4 year old has been asking when we can go to a game for a few months now...he's never been to one.

Putting aside all the emotional attachments some folks have with the place, am I the only one who will say that Shea was a piece of garbage from day one? As a Yankee fan, '74 and '75 sucked because we were forced to play in that poorly constructed cracker box. As any player will tell you, an antiquated Shea should have been demolished years ago. Wait until all you Met fans walk into beautiful, modern Citi Field. Shea will be forgotten immediately.

Putting aside all the emotional attachments some folks have with the place, am I the only one who will say that Shea was a piece of garbage from day one? As a Yankee fan, '74 and '75 sucked because we were forced to play in that poorly constructed cracker box. As any player will tell you, an antiquated Shea should have been demolished years ago. Wait until all you Met fans walk into beautiful, modern Citi Field. Shea will be forgotten immediately.

idk about from day one since i was born in '75. you would think it was a nice park back in the mid-60's when it was built.

idk about from day one since i was born in '75. you would think it was a nice park back in the mid-60's when it was built.

I may have been exaggerating a bit. In its day, Shea had many modern touches, like lights installed around the stadium rather than in towers. I just remember folks bitching about the lack of restrooms, and their proclivity to fail, as far back as the 60s.

Well, the main issue with Shea from Day 1 IMO was that it was designed to be a multi-sport facility to accommodate football as well and because of such, it was poorly designed for both because each sport has different needs.

Good post. Any field that has dirt base paths during football season sucks. Also, the orientation of the playing field at Shea for Jet games was all screwed up, with most of the fans too far from the action.

Good post. Any field that has dirt base paths during football season sucks. Also, the orientation of the playing field at Shea for Jet games was all screwed up, with most of the fans too far from the action.

Yeah, nevermind that the Grass in the Corner Outfield of Shea was constantly dead for baseball games because of the stands alignment.

Jets.jpg

shea08main.jpg

And of course that the seats were pointed straight forward and not towards Home Plate, so anybody sitting in the Outfield of Shea was sure to get a sore neck during baseball games.

Yeah, nevermind that the Grass in the Corner Outfield of Shea was constantly dead for baseball games because of the stands alignment.

Jets.jpg

shea08main.jpg

And of course that the seats were pointed straight forward and not towards Home Plate, so anybody sitting in the Outfield of Shea was sure to get a sore neck during baseball games.

Great images. Thanks.

I feel sorry for Mets fans for having to watch their team in such a dump and the Jets fans that had to live through that place. What an awful stadium it was.

jeez...it really wasn't that bad. i mean yeah it wa sold and outdated and it's time for a new one........but i had ALOT of great times at that stadium. there's nothing to be sorry about.

jeez...it really wasn't that bad. i mean yeah it wa sold and outdated and it's time for a new one........but i had ALOT of great times at that stadium. there's nothing to be sorry about.

that is how I feel neckdemon- I watched many games ther eno problem at all with it with lots of memories.

that is how I feel neckdemon- I watched many games ther eno problem at all with it with lots of memories.

on of my favorite memories was a time when dykstra couldn't get to a liner and my uncle yelled out to him to run a little faster next time. dykstra told him to go **** himself. it was pretty funny. i was like 11.

on of my favorite memories was a time when dykstra couldn't get to a liner and my uncle yelled out to him to run a little faster next time. dykstra told him to go **** himself. it was pretty funny. i was like 11.

To bad that memory is tainted, being Dykstra is a cheater.

;)

Archived