The Big East-Haters thread.

uart

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And Syracuse is undefeated against the ACC. What's your point? The teams BC beat in the BE are not beating any of the top BE teams the way BC is. And they're also not losing to Harvard.

SU beat the second to last place team, BC beat the 6th place team in the BE.

Ohhhhh I get it. What does palying half your games against a weak bottom side of the conf do to you? The ACC has been the best conf in most years over the past 20-30 years- how come it hasn't stopped ACC teams from making FF runs?

The best conf should be able to produce more than 5 FF teams in 20 years.

Well said!

SU beat the second to last place team, BC beat the 6th place team in the BE.

...Whose one claim to fame this year is beating a banged up Syracuse team, at home, by 6, and still allowing 94 points in regulation. And I mean REALLY banged up. SU was playing with 2 1/2 starters that game. (Ill give Devendorf credit for being 1/2 a starter). Otherwise they feasted on Rutgers twice, Depaul twice, Seton Hall, St Johns, and USF. They have Nova, Louisville, and Uconn coming up. We'll see where they end up after that.

So the 6th place team in the BE has no problem with the bottom four in the Big East, yet the 2nd to last place ACC team beats the 4th place ACC team? Yeah, that really proves how strong your conference is.

...Whose one claim to fame this year is beating a banged up Syracuse team, at home, by 6, and still allowing 94 points in regulation. And I mean REALLY banged up. SU was playing with 2 1/2 starters that game. (Ill give Devendorf credit for being 1/2 a starter). Otherwise they feasted on Rutgers twice, Depaul twice, Seton Hall, St Johns, and USF. They have Nova, Louisville, and Uconn coming up. We'll see where they end up after that.

So the 6th place team in the BE has no problem with the bottom four in the Big East, yet the 2nd to last place ACC team beats the 4th place ACC team? Yeah, that really proves how strong your conference is.

How is Providence different than Marquette? SU? WVU, etc...? They feast on the bad bottom half. That has been my argument the entire time I am glad you are coming around.

The ACC doesn't have a bad bottom half. Theer are no gimmes unlike in the BE where there are 5-6 gimmes.

How is Providence different than Marquette? SU? WVU, etc...? They feast on the bad bottom half. That has been my argument the entire time I am glad you are coming around.

The ACC doesn't have a bad bottom half. Theer are no gimmes unlike in the BE where there are 5-6 gimmes.

Marquette is 21-4, with wins over Wisconsin, Villanova, WVU, at Providence, at Notre Dame, vs GTown, and at NC State.

More importantly, they only have one bad loss (USF). You can throw Dayton in there, too, but they've played very well this year.

SU has beaten Kansas, Florida, Memphis, Notre Dame and West Virginia this season. Providence hasn't. Thats the difference.

You could make the case that thats because the top half of the ACC is that much weaker than the top half of the Big East, or that the bottom half of the ACC is that much stronger. Its probably a little of both. And there are NOT 5-6 gimmies in the Big East this year. There's one, maybe two or three. Im thinking Depaul, Rutgers, and maybe SF (Although they've proven to be somewhat dangerous at home). Other than that, I really don't see any teams that are that bad. SJU is dangerous, Seton Hall the same, Notre Dame and Gtown are in bad funks but obviously are still very talented and can give anyone and everyone a fight. Cincinatti has been a surprise thus far....

Marquette is 21-4, with wins over Wisconsin, Villanova, WVU, at Providence, at Notre Dame, vs GTown, and at NC State.

More importantly, they only have one bad loss (USF). You can throw Dayton in there, too, but they've played very well this year.

Wow! Thye actually beat the great Wisconsin team? That list is pretty week, the 'Nova win looks good NOW but they were really struggling at the time, GU stinks, ND stinks, providence is mediocre at best, Wisconsin has been a huige disappointment. Where are the big wins? They feasted on a weak non-conf sched and the weak bopttom half of the BE schedule. That one bad loss was as bad is it gets as USF is a complete joke. Their last 4 games are tough(at least 3 of them are), I could see Marquette losing all 3 and sliding down to a 6 seed. They ahven't proven anything yet.

SU has beaten Kansas, Florida, Memphis, Notre Dame and West Virginia this season. Providence hasn't. Thats the difference.

KU, Memphis and UF all are products of weak leagues. All 3 struggled in non-conf so while those were good wins they weren't great even though they may look like it now thanks to those teams feasting on their weak leagues.

Beating ND is not a big deal, and WVU is not a marquee win.

You could make the case that thats because the top half of the ACC is that much weaker than the top half of the Big East, or that the bottom half of the ACC is that much stronger. Its probably a little of both. And there are NOT 5-6 gimmies in the Big East this year. There's one, maybe two or three. Im thinking Depaul, Rutgers, and maybe SF (Although they've proven to be somewhat dangerous at home). Other than that, I really don't see any teams that are that bad. SJU is dangerous, Seton Hall the same, Notre Dame and Gtown are in bad funks but obviously are still very talented and can give anyone and everyone a fight. Cincinatti has been a surprise thus far....

You can make that argument but there's nothign to support that as all the big teams were great in non-conf then have struggled(outside of UNC) in conference.

There are 5-6 gimmes- SJU, SH, RU, Depaul, USF and the way GU and ND have played you can add them in.

How is SJU dangerous? Their only BE wins are RU, ND and USF and their biggest non-conf win was over Marist.

SH is more dangerous than SJU but dangerous? They lost to IUPUI(5th in Summitt conf) at HOME and james Madison(5th in CAA). Their biggest win was over a USC team that won't make the Tourney.

Cincy has been a surprise why? b/c they beat the bad bottom half? They lost by double digits to FSU and they haven't even been competitive against the top half of the BE(losing by an average of 18 pts INCLUDING a 12 pt loss to providence).

I do agree both GU and ND have the talent to be alot better and I am shocked how bad they are but at some point they have to start winning games, right?

Wow! Thye actually beat the great Wisconsin team? That list is pretty week, the 'Nova win looks good NOW but they were really struggling at the time, GU stinks, ND stinks, providence is mediocre at best, Wisconsin has been a huige disappointment. Where are the big wins? They feasted on a weak non-conf sched and the weak bopttom half of the BE schedule. That one bad loss was as bad is it gets as USF is a complete joke. Their last 4 games are tough(at least 3 of them are), I could see Marquette losing all 3 and sliding down to a 6 seed. They ahven't proven anything yet.

KU, Memphis and UF all are products of weak leagues. All 3 struggled in non-conf so while those were good wins they weren't great even though they may look like it now thanks to those teams feasting on their weak leagues.

Beating ND is not a big deal, and WVU is not a marquee win.

You can make that argument but there's nothign to support that as all the big teams were great in non-conf then have struggled(outside of UNC) in conference.

There are 5-6 gimmes- SJU, SH, RU, Depaul, USF and the way GU and ND have played you can add them in.

How is SJU dangerous? Their only BE wins are RU, ND and USF and their biggest non-conf win was over Marist.

SH is more dangerous than SJU but dangerous? They lost to IUPUI(5th in Summitt conf) at HOME and james Madison(5th in CAA). Their biggest win was over a USC team that won't make the Tourney.

Cincy has been a surprise why? b/c they beat the bad bottom half? They lost by double digits to FSU and they haven't even been competitive against the top half of the BE(losing by an average of 18 pts INCLUDING a 12 pt loss to providence).

I do agree both GU and ND have the talent to be alot better and I am shocked how bad they are but at some point they have to start winning games, right?

The argument was that Providence and Syracuse are on an equal level. Fact is, they're not. I agree none of those are GREAT wins, but they're all good wins against competitive teams. Providence has beat 1 ranked opponent all year, and that was when half their team wasn't available. And even then they only won by six at home, and gave up 94 points.

As for your second point...Outside of UNC, which of the top ACC teams scheduled tough games against higher ranked teams in the OOC? Who did Wake play in the OOC that was so good? Clemson?

The argument was that Providence and Syracuse are on an equal level. Fact is, they're not. I agree none of those are GREAT wins, but they're all good wins against competitive teams. Providence has beat 1 ranked opponent all year, and that was when half their team wasn't available. And even then they only won by six at home, and gave up 94 points.

As for your second point...Outside of UNC, which of the top ACC teams scheduled tough games against higher ranked teams in the OOC? Who did Wake play in the OOC that was so good? Clemson?

-Duke played at Purdue, played Xavier, Georgetown.

-Wake ended BYU's 53 game home court win streak.

-Clemson won at Illinois

Those are all tough games. Wake had an easy non-conf otherwsie and if they played BYU at home it wouldn't have been a big deal but beating them on the road was a big deal.

-Duke played at Purdue, played Xavier, Georgetown.

-Wake ended BYU's 53 game home court win streak.

-Clemson won at Illinois

Those are all tough games. Wake had an easy non-conf otherwsie and if they played BYU at home it wouldn't have been a big deal but beating them on the road was a big deal.

Not really. BYU's 53 game winning streak Im sure didn't consist of too many, if any, powerhouse programs from the elite conferences. Of course, a road win is always better than a home win. But the fact that its BYU on the road is nothing special really.

Clemson winning at Illinois is a bit more impressive, but Illinois had a bad non-conf. And are now only in the top 25 for the 1st time all season because they're beating up on a weak B10 conference. Duke played, and beat, Georgetown, at home, just when they started their epic tailspin after possible their best OOC showing in school history. I consider that similar to SU's win over Notre Dame (13 at the time) at the Carrier Dome.

Xavier is a good program, but they're not THAT good. I think people vastly overrate them. When you think about it, do you think that the middle teams from either of the BE or ACC (Syracuse, WVU, Miami, Florida State) would have a hard time keeping pace with them in the A10? I don't. At Purdue is a tough win, I'll grant them that.

Not really. BYU's 53 game winning streak Im sure didn't consist of too many, if any, powerhouse programs from the elite conferences. Of course, a road win is always better than a home win. But the fact that its BYU on the road is nothing special really.

Clemson winning at Illinois is a bit more impressive, but Illinois had a bad non-conf. And are now only in the top 25 for the 1st time all season because they're beating up on a weak B10 conference. Duke played, and beat, Georgetown, at home, just when they started their epic tailspin after possible their best OOC showing in school history. I consider that similar to SU's win over Notre Dame (13 at the time) at the Carrier Dome.

Xavier is a good program, but they're not THAT good. I think people vastly overrate them. When you think about it, do you think that the middle teams from either of the BE or ACC (Syracuse, WVU, Miami, Florida State) would have a hard time keeping pace with them in the A10? I don't. At Purdue is a tough win, I'll grant them that.

Illinois had a bad non-conf? Their only non-conf loss was to Clemson and they beat Missouri.

GU had recently beaten UConn at UConn and had won 2 straight including a W over SU.

Last night ESPN had a poll about which conference was the "toughest."

Almost 60% of the country voted for the Big East. ACC was a very distant second.

That proves it!:yawn: the BE is shoved doen the throat of the Country, the uninformed will automatically think the BE is the best, I bet those people who voted have no idea the BE has sent just 5 teams to the FF in almost 20 years.

• 1 month later...
That proves it!:yawn: the BE is shoved doen the throat of the Country, the uninformed will automatically think the BE is the best, I bet those people who voted have no idea the BE has sent just 5 teams to the FF in almost 20 years.

2009 BE FINAL FOUR TEAMS

Uconn

Villanova

ACC

UNC

Elite 8 teams

BIG EAST: 4

Villanova, Pittsburgh, Uconn, Louisville

ACC:

UNC

Sweet 16 teams

BIG EAST: 5

Syracuse, Villanova, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Connecticut

ACC: 2

UNC, Duke

...Get my drift?

2009 BE FINAL FOUR TEAMS

Uconn

Villanova

ACC

UNC

Elite 8 teams

ACC:

UNC

Sweet 16 teams

UNC, Duke

...Get my drift?

You had a better year, the BE FINALLY did something in the Tourney. Congrats.

Actually a better four years. Here are the records of the big conferences in the NCAA tournament.

1) Big East: 32-17 - 653%

2) Big 12: 30-16 652%

3) SEC: 29-18 617%

4) PAC 10: 32-21 604% -

5) Big 10: 23-20 535%

6) ACC: 24-21 533%

That was as of March 23rd. So the deficit has gotten even larger since then.

The tournament is where it counts. That is why college basketball sucks. The regular season means nothing, the conference tournaments mean nothing. (Just look at the final four teams this year and see what they did in their conference tournaments).

College Basketball simply comes down to the three weeks, end of March early April.

2009 BE FINAL FOUR TEAMS

Uconn

Villanova

ACC

UNC

Elite 8 teams

ACC:

UNC

Sweet 16 teams

UNC, Duke

...Get my drift?

This year BE is better. Over the last 20 years, the ACC and Big Ten has had more success in the tourney. And who is playing in the championship game? :Nuts:

You had a better year, the BE FINALLY did something in the Tourney. Congrats.

Yeah....about that..........they come up short again. :cheers:

Actually a better four years. Here are the records of the big conferences in the NCAA tournament.

1) Big East: 32-17 - 653%

2) Big 12: 30-16 652%

3) SEC: 29-18 617%

4) PAC 10: 32-21 604% -

5) Big 10: 23-20 535%

6) ACC: 24-21 533%

That was as of March 23rd. So the deficit has gotten even larger since then.

The tournament is where it counts. That is why college basketball sucks. The regular season means nothing, the conference tournaments mean nothing. (Just look at the final four teams this year and see what they did in their conference tournaments).

College Basketball simply comes down to the three weeks, end of March early April.

In those 4 years you have had 3 FF teams, zero title game teams and zero Championships.

In those 4 years you have had 3 FF teams, zero title game teams and zero Championships.

Colin Cowherd said as much.

For all the press the BE gets, they come up short in the tourney over their history.

Colin Cowherd said as much.

For all the press the BE gets, they come up short in the tourney over their history.

Even w/ the 2 apps this year that only increases their total in the last 20 years to 7.

Since 1990:

FF's:

ACC: 20

Big 10: 14

SEC: 11

Big 12: 9

Pac 10: 8

BE: 7

I don't think anyone is claiming that the Big East has been the best conference for the last 20 years, just that we were the best conference THIS year.

The first real discussions of the Big East as a super-conference didn't start until 2005/06 when the CUSA schools joined.

I don't think anyone is claiming that the Big East has been the best conference for the last 20 years, just that we were the best conference THIS year.

The first real discussions of the Big East as a super-conference didn't start until 2005/06 when the CUSA schools joined.

congrats to Nova on a great year..

you will be back again...

I think it is the media's never ending over doing of everything that is the flavor of the moment.

I would be interested to see how many brackets had 4 BE teams in the Final Four due to the never ending coverage they received this year.

So I did some Calculating... Starting with 2006...

Final Four teams by conference...

Big East - 3

SEC - 3

Pac10 - 3

ACC - 2

Big Ten - 2

CAA - 1

Big12 - 1

CUSA - 1

Would you argue that the SEC or Pac10 was the best conference? Florida won two of those three, and the third was LSU in a year that Florida won it. I think all three Pac10 teams were UCLA.

congrats to Nova on a great year..

you will be back again...

God I hope so. We have a great recruiting class next year, and unless Scottie Reynolds goes pro (which he won't, not enough pro-mojo), we bring back all of our guards.

I expect another good year.

If you want to go back further than 1990 or throw around some nonsense numbers:

Rank| Conference|All-time tourney bids

1 Big East 355

2 ACC 223

3 Big 12 217

4 Big Ten 206

5 SEC 201

6 Pac-10 176

7 A-10 155

8 MWC 116

9 C-USA 113

10 MVC 71

11 WCC 68

12 WAC 67

13 Ivy 66

14 MAC 64

Sun Belt 64

16 CAA 54

17 OVC 41

18 Big Sky 40

Horizon 40

20 SoCon 38

21 MAAC 37

Patriot 37

23 SWAC 29

24 MEAC 28

25 NEC 25

26 Big West 23

27 Southland 21

28 A-Sun 19

Big South 19

30 Am. East 13

31 Summit 9

32 Great West 1

1 Big East 355

2 ACC 223

3 Big 12 217

4 Big Ten 206

5 SEC 201

6 Pac-10 176

7 A-10 155

8 MWC 116

9 C-USA 113

10 MVC 71

11 WCC 68

12 WAC 67

13 Ivy 66

14 MAC 64

Sun Belt 64

16 CAA 54

17 OVC 41

18 Big Sky 40

Horizon 40

20 SoCon 38

21 MAAC 37

Patriot 37

23 SWAC 29

24 MEAC 28

25 NEC 25

26 Big West 23

27 Southland 21

28 A-Sun 19

Big South 19

30 Am. East 13

31 Summit 9

32 Great West 1

You have many more teams and always have. That makes the fact that you have had so few FF teams even more embarrassing.

1 Big East 355

2 ACC 223

3 Big 12 217

4 Big Ten 206

5 SEC 201

6 Pac-10 176

7 A-10 155

8 MWC 116

9 C-USA 113

10 MVC 71

11 WCC 68

12 WAC 67

13 Ivy 66

14 MAC 64

Sun Belt 64

16 CAA 54

17 OVC 41

18 Big Sky 40

Horizon 40

20 SoCon 38

21 MAAC 37

Patriot 37

23 SWAC 29

24 MEAC 28

25 NEC 25

26 Big West 23

27 Southland 21

28 A-Sun 19

Big South 19

30 Am. East 13

31 Summit 9

32 Great West 1

And how many of those include members that were not members of the conference at the time? Like Cincy, L'ville, Notre Dame, Marquette and Rutgers? Ok, kidding on the last one.

Archived