Bobby Abreu signs with the Angels

Morrissey

People overrate that part of Abreu's game. How often does this effect a game? 4-5 times a season?

Abreu is one of the most underrated players in the game.

Agree...Great, Great signing.......and at that price to boot.

I really thought the Yanks needed to resign him at less than 16 mill. I wanted the Mets involved as well but we could use a right handed bat.

Agree...Great, Great signing.......and at that price to boot.

I really thought the Yanks needed to resign him at less than 16 mill. I wanted the Mets involved as well but we could use a right handed bat.

Why do the Yankees need Abreu? We already have too many corner outfielders.

Why do the Yankees need Abreu?

1.) He's much better than Nady.

2.) He's much better than Swisher.

3.) He's a better all around player than Matsui.

I think he'd be a Yank if the FO had been more certain that Tex woud be their 1st Baseman. Trading for Swisher as a means to finally say goodbye to Giambi made bringing back Abreu AFTER the Tex signing impossible due to the corners-DH logjam.

Now if they had been able to move Swisher or Nady, maybe Abreu is a Yankee today.

1.) He's much better than Nady.

2.) He's much better than Swisher.

3.) He's a better all around player than Matsui.

I think he'd be a Yank if the FO had been more certain that Tex woud be their 1st Baseman. Trading for Swisher as a means to finally say goodbye to Giambi made bringing back Abreu AFTER the Tex signing impossible due to the corners-DH logjam.

Now if they had been able to move Swisher or Nady, maybe Abreu is a Yankee today.

Abreu was replaced by Teixeria in the lineup. While I agree he's better than Nady, Swisher, and Matsui, those guy will not be batting #3 in the lineup, like Abreu did. Those guys are replacing Giambi in the lineup, which won't be the hardest task.

Abreu was replaced by Teixeria in the lineup. While I agree he's better than Nady, Swisher, and Matsui, those guy will not be batting #3 in the lineup, like Abreu did. Those guys are replacing Giambi in the lineup, which won't be the hardest task.

Eh...somewhat of a spin. Matsui is the DH so Swisher and Nady are replacing Giambi's numbers which won't happen IMO. You've already said Nady is Joe average and we all have seen Swisher's decline.

Do you honestly feel the Yanks are better with Tex-Swisher than Tex-Abreu?

Trading for Swisher prevented the latter although I understand the move at the time.

Eh...somewhat of a spin. Matsui is the DH so Swisher and Nady are replacing Giambi's numbers which won't happen IMO. You've already said Nady is Joe average and we all have seen Swisher's decline.

Do you honestly feel the Yanks are better with Tex-Swisher than Tex-Abreu?

Trading for Swisher prevented the latter although I understand the move at the time.

Somehat of a spin? The #3 hitter in 2008 was Abreu, in 2009 it will be Teixeira. That's not spin, thats fact.

You can argue about Nady and Swisher not matching Giambi's numbers, but lets wait and see, he's 38 years old. While you are right, I don't like Nady that much, but I am very high on Swisher.

cant believe mets didnt go hard after him... i mean hes perfect for them.

woudlnt have been too hard on the payroll either

I certainly wouldn't mind Abreu, as he would instantly become the Mets' best corner OF, but he's not "perfect for them", because he hits from the left side. With Delgado and Church already in the middle of the order, the ideal addition would be a righty corner OF... if only there was an all-time great fitting that profile available as a free agent.

cant believe mets didnt go hard after him... i mean hes perfect for them.

woudlnt have been too hard on the payroll either

I'm really not happy about the Mets offseason after the Putz trade. They really could have improved the team and it just doesn't look like they have at all.

I'm really not happy about the Mets offseason after the Putz trade. They really could have improved the team and it just doesn't look like they have at all.

Yeah this is last years team with the pen 75% fixed and a healthier SP staff. We also benifit from having Pelfrey as a #2 from jump street. Remember we also all considered Maine as a emerging Ace or #2 prior to his injury. Ollie is a wildcard but normally a big game pitcher. We still need a better LH solution in the pen.

I guess either Wilpon was hurt more by Maddoff than he is saying or Omar really believes Murphy is the teams future 3hole hitter as MEX stated. He also must feel Church will be the pre concussion version and Tatis has another big year in him.

In the AL we woud have had to absolutely sign Abreu-Dunn or Manny to compete. In the NL if 2 of the above 3 scenarios pan out offensively we should be fine. Remember last years team while guilty of choking again, runs away with the division with just even mediocre bullpen results. Delgado will be a animal again as well.

The bench as it stands however is disgusting.

I certainly wouldn't mind Abreu, as he would instantly become the Mets' best corner OF, but he's not "perfect for them", because he hits from the left side. With Delgado and Church already in the middle of the order, the ideal addition would be a righty corner OF... if only there was an all-time great fitting that profile available as a free agent.

Yeah too bad there's not. ;)

Archived