Manuel plans for Murphy to be everday LF

GimmeShelter

NYPOST Mets blog:

PORT ST. LUCIE -- Jerry Manuel livened up a sleepy news conference once again today, casually mentioning that the planned left-field platoon of Daniel Murphy and Fernando Tatis is likely to be just Murphy instead.

Not only that, but Manuel also said Ryan Church t.gif is not guaranteed the full-time starting job in right field after a concussion-marred 2008 season and could end up platooning with Tatis.

And if that weren't enough, Manuel revealed that he thinks Murphy is a better hitter than Church, which means Murphy could bat ahead of Church in the lineup this season.

Whew.

Manuel said the left-hand hitting Murphy impressed him enough with his ability to hit lefties in a two-month audition last season to start the Murphy on a full-time basis in left.

"I don't want him to get into a strictly platoon situation," Manuel said of Murphy. "I think he's a little better player than that. And with Church being a left-handed hitter, I kind of see Murphy being a better hitter right now at this time. So Tatis could [play in right field]. It all depends on how they're doing. If they're not getting hits, then they're not going to play - development or whatever. They've got to perform."

Backing the statement up about Murphy getting most of the starts in left is Manuel's noticeable use of Tatis as the backup third baseman and first baseman so far in camp. Tatis has done very little work in the outfield during the first week.

"I look at Tatis as, if you've got eight guys, he'd be the 8

Interesting, why not make him earn the spot? What if he has a horrible spring? We're not talking about a player with much of a track record.

Murphy looks like he's a hitter and lefties didn't really bother him last year in a limited opportunity, but Manuel did say, who ever hits will be in there, whether it be Church or Murphy.

Interesting, why not make him earn the spot? What if he has a horrible spring? We're not talking about a player with much of a track record.

Manuel's words from the article.

I kind of see Murphy being a better hitter right now at this time. So Tatis could [play in right field]. It all depends on how they're doing. If they're not getting hits, then they're not going to play - development or whatever. They've got to perform."

If he doesn't hit he won't have the everyday job. If Manuel like's him and based on what the kid did last year, I see no issue with giving him a confidence boost by saying it's his job as of now. It's not like he hit .228 after being called up last year.

I like. Saw no reason for Murphy to need a platoon anyways. Murphy hit .305/.363/.481 against Lefties in the minors last year, then hit .400/.462/.700 against them in the Majors (Granted this was only 12 PA).

Tatis then brings the Right Handed Bat off the bench most games, helping to balance the bench.

I'm not crazy over his take on Church, in that I feel he's needed Defensively out there in Citi Field. I don't mind giving him some games off against the Tougher Lefties out there, especially on the Road, but I don't think he needs a strict platoon situation.

Archived