Queens after Sage for a 4th

afosomf

Among the dumbest franchises in the league

Tell me what this player would be worth:

- undrafted

- in the league for 3 years

- had been released/not re-signed by 2 NFL teams already

- 1 kick return TD as a rookie then a couple of years later got another, bringing his career grand total on offense and special teams to 2

- averaged 9 yards per punt return & 22 yds per KO return (pretty pedestrian #'s)

- rookie year: 0 rec yds; 2nd year: 430 rec yds; 3rd year: 680 rec yds

- WR height: 5'9 and had a poor "40 time"

Is this the resume of someone who was worth trading away a 2nd round pick plus a 7th round pick (to a division rival no less) plus awarding a $30M contract to?

Time will tell. I don't think much of Rosenfels, but the Vikings seem to be one of those franchises that merely needs someone to merely be not-horrible at QB. Rosenfels might qualify there.

Or they could draft a QB in the 4th round and hope to get him competing for a starting role right away.

Tell me what this player would be worth:

- undrafted

- in the league for 3 years

- had been released/not re-signed by 2 NFL teams already

- 1 kick return TD as a rookie then a couple of years later got another, bringing his career grand total on offense and special teams to 2

- averaged 9 yards per punt return & 22 yds per KO return (pretty pedestrian #'s)

- rookie year: 0 rec yds; 2nd year: 430 rec yds; 3rd year: 680 rec yds

- WR height: 5'9 and had a poor "40 time"

Is this the resume of someone who was worth trading away a 2nd round pick plus a 7th round pick (to a division rival no less) plus awarding a $30M contract to?

Time will tell. I don't think much of Rosenfels, but the Vikings seem to be one of those franchises that merely needs someone to merely be not-horrible at QB. Rosenfels might qualify there.

Or they could draft a QB in the 4th round and hope to get him competing for a starting role right away.

The Vikings have been plagued by inconsisent QB play for years. To even have Tavaris Jackson on the roster is a joke.

QB is the most important position on the team. Look none other than to the Steelers pre Big Ben.

Sage Rosenfields?? Are you kidding me?

The defensive gameplan would be simple: stop Peterson and you stop the Vikings because Rosenfields aint gonna bring it.

The Vikings have been plagued by inconsisent QB play for years. To even have Tavaris Jackson on the roster is a joke.

QB is the most important position on the team. Look none other than to the Steelers pre Big Ben.

Sage Rosenfields?? Are you kidding me?

The defensive gameplan would be simple: stop Peterson and you stop the Vikings because Rosenfields aint gonna bring it.

1) It's not a done deal yet.

2) Players with less of a resume than Sage Rosenfels have done well (or well enough to not be the cause of failure).

3) QB is the most important position and it isn't. It's important that your QB isn't the worst thing around or close enough to it that you're splitting hairs (which is what they had in Tavaris Jackson). But 2 of the 4 "final 4" QB's this year were Kerry Collins and Joe Flacco.

4) Rosenfels may be ok and he may not. I wouldn't be optimistic but on Aug 28, 1999 the Rams looked like their season was in the crapper because of their new starting QB.

5) Can he be as good as Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, etc.? No freakin' way. Can he be as good as Trent Dilfer '00, Joe Flacco '08, Stan Humphries '94, Rex Grossman '06, Jake Delhomme '03, Kerry Collins '96/'00/'08, Tony Eason-Steve Grogan '85, early 80's Jim Plunkett? I'm not saying he will be, but he can be.

6) Minnesota sucks, and so does Sage Rosenfels. (now watch him have a great season after this)

Using Welker is a terrible example. He is was a young player who was constantly improving each season and had his best season while playing with a terrible stable of QBs. Rosenfels however is an 8 year veteran and seems to have peaked at mediocre.

Using Welker is a terrible example. He is was a young player who was constantly improving each season and had his best season while playing with a terrible stable of QBs. Rosenfels however is an 8 year veteran and seems to have peaked at mediocre.

He's a perfect example because, young or old, it was commonly thought that NE insanely overpaid for him. And he wasn't "constantly improving each season" - he had received more playing time on a team who had garbage at WR. The same team that released him outright not long before that. Then SD picked him up & they let him go as well. Hell, at the time NE traded for him he had started exactly twice in 3 seasons: once in 2005 and once in 2006. In the first of those 2 starts, he caught 1 pass for 16 yards.

Constantly improving, lol. Hey, coming into this year Patrick Crayton was "constantly improving" also. Think anyone was going to give up a 2nd rounder for him?

I don't think much of Rosenfels, but I've seen teams take a chance on a "low ceiling" guy before & have it work out for them, like Rich Gannon with Oakland (34 yrs old at the time).

Archived