Rams Release Holt

TheMacExchange

400, 500 & 600 yards are making impacts?

No, not quite.

We are going to be looking for someone to be a number ONE, not a number two or three.

Royal, Jackson, Bowe, Holmes & Johnson made impacts. The rest? Not quite.

There are tons who do not produce. Tons. And I'm sorry, but that receiver needs to come down with 60, 70 balls and 700+ yards at least to be considered somewhat effective as a rookie. At least.

All the receivers I sited fit your criteria.

Joey Galloway 67, 1039, 7 TD's (1995)

Marvin Harrison 64, 836, 8 TD's (1996)

Randy Moss 69, 1313, 17 TD's (1998)

Antonio Bryant 44, 733, 6 TD's (2002)

Andre Johnson 66, 976, 4 TD's (2003)

Anquan Boldin 101, 1377, 8 TD's (2003)

Lee Evans 48, 843, 9 TD's (2004)

Roy Williams 54, 817, 8 TD's (2004)

Wayne Chrebet 66, 726, 4 TD's (1995)

Keyshawn Johnson 63, 844, 8 TD's (1996)

And don't forget TD's in your criteria. A guy who catches over 8 TD's in a season makes a huge impact.

As I said, I won't argue your point too much because it is true that many rookie receivers, even many of the one's who become great later, often don't make a huge impacts in Year 1, at least stepping in as a #1.

However, it does happen, as there are at least 1 or 2 guys a season who make pretty large contributions in their first year, some even putting up stats of a #1 (see above).

That said, however, I would like to see the Jets make a run at Holt. Even though his numbers declined drastically last year, and he is 33, I think he's worth a shot. We can still draft another receiver and Holt can be that experienced veteran who can also provide some mentoring to the younger guys. From what I've heard, he's also the kind of player you want in your locker room.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your own reactions should help you understand the ones you do not like... they had a reason to cut Moore... and it worked out fine...

They have a reason to keep 3 young QB's... and it will work out... By bringing in an old man who wants to start you automatically kill off one of the 3 young guns... and most likely put the other one or even 2 on the bench before they have a chance to shine...

Same thing with WR... I wouldnt mind seeing Holt... but I can understand why if they like the young guys...

it will? you're sure of that? cause chances are none of them will become the franchise qb we have been waiting for since namath. i mean seriously....i'm tired of the jets having one sh*tty qb after another.

This is a no brainer to me now that Holt is a free agent. I don't want to trade any more draft picks. But now they should really try to get this guy. He is only 32, never had a serious injury. He has plenty left and will help the young receivers. His decline in production is more about the state of the Rams than his age. The Jets supposedly have all of this cap space and there is no Calvin Johnson in this draft, certainly not at #17.

Get this guy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well said, I think people that say Holt is done are crazy.

You would think he would like to work with Ellard again.

It seems that perhaps the Jets are "no longer interested"

From Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News:

With rampant speculation about a possible Holt-to-the-Jets move, I did some additional digging and learned the Jets have zero interest in the Rams’ soon-to-be-jettisoned wide receiver. None. Zip. Nada.

Oh, well, so much for that possibility. Holt-to-the-Jets seemed to make some sense, and I totally endorsed it yesterday in a blog post. After all, the Jets need another veteran receiver (just my opinion) and their new receivers’ coach, Henry Ellard, used to be Holt’s longtime position coach in St. Louis.

It seems that perhaps the Jets are "no longer interested"

From Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News:

With rampant speculation about a possible Holt-to-the-Jets move, I did some additional digging and learned the Jets have zero interest in the Rams

Archived