Brett Gardner wins CF job

Morrissey

As much as I was rooting for Gardner, and as much as I don't really like Melky. I have to admit Melky did pretty well for himself as well. He hit about .340, which is really solid for him. He should definitely get a roster spot on the team, until we can find a team we can trade him to, unless we want to keep him as the 4th outfielder though.

It's really pointless to have Melky on the bench. He's useless if he's not starting.

I guess we might see Swisher or Nady depending on who is starting that day pinch hitting for Gardner late in games and Melky then taking over in CF. I assume this is a Girardi decision you disagree with. ;)

I also don't see much trade return for Melky and keeping him in the bigs may be the Yanks covering their bases on Gardner should he get off to a bad start. Melky is also out of options so I believe he'd have to clear waivers.

I guess we might see Swisher or Nady depending on who is starting that day pinch hitting for Gardner late in games and Melky then taking over in CF. I assume this is a Girardi decision you disagree with. ;)

I also don't see much trade return for Melky and keeping him in the bigs may be the Yanks covering their bases on Gardner should he get off to a bad start. Melky is also out of options so I believe he'd have to clear waivers.

Yeah, I would disagree with having him on the bench for the sole reason. It would be different if Melky was a good base runner, and could steal a base, but he's not, and he can't. If you're going to pitch hit Swisher or Nady late in the game, you can simply move Damon to CF and have Swisher and Nasy in the corners, or you could use Swisher in CF.

Yeah, I would disagree with having him on the bench for the sole reason. It would be different if Melky was a good base runner, and could steal a base, but he's not, and he can't. If you're going to pitch hit Swisher or Nady late in the game, you can simply move Damon to CF and have Swisher and Nasy in the corners, or you could use Swisher in CF.

Isn't that when you want good D?

Ughhh, thinking it over more, Yankees will probably have Melky on the bench. In case Gardner is hit hit for late in game in favor of Nady or Swisher, Melky could be a late defensive replacement, that is more valuable than anything else they would use that spot for. Especially since the Girardi has hinted they aren't going to have a long reliever to start the season.

Yeah, not much of a need for him with two starting lefties in the OF and Swisher on the bench.

Exactly. You could make the case that Gardner has more bench value if Melky was the starter, because of Gardner's speed. But ultimately whoever lost was going to be better served playing regularly. They knew that going in.

Archived