" Throw penalty flag if the Jets abandon Florham Park facility " ~ ~ ~

kelly

throw a flag if they have it at a facility with no bleachers or parking

I'd rather have a long road trip to a decent facility than a short road trip than walk a mile to get to a place with no seating

but

how they hell did they build this thing with no bleachers or parking ?

It would be great if they stayed close and yes I would go to Hofstra or to NJ (not likely to do anything requiring hours of driving).

That being said, if this all helps get to and win a Super Bowl, I don't care if they do a training camp in Alaska.

BZ

All teams in the NFL have TRAINING FACILITIES that they use during the regular season. The site in Florham Park was initially built for just that purpose. Just as the Giants are moving into their new facility (sans bleachers) later this summer a 1/4 of a mile from the stadium.

As for the JULY camp - Just as I stated in a prior post - THEY DO NOT HAVE SUFFICIENT LOCATIONS FOR SECURE DORMS NEARBY.

The original plans (that still do exist) call for 2 new Hotels to be built as ANCILLARY to this facility. However, due to the economic crisis, they were unable to get a bidder for construction to begin, let alone built, at this time.

That's the true reason that they have been looking at a JULY camp location - Just as the GIANTS have abandoned NOT keeping the JULY camp at SUNY/Albany.

All physical camps prior to & after the Draft will remain @ Florham Park NJ!

Stop Whining, this economic crunch is effecting everyone - and I can not believe that even I get it, while some of you don't!

...Let alone a Newark Star Ledger staff that these days come off as "GOSSIP" columnists instead of researching the entire fact that this is a "SECURITY" issue! Yet they wonder why print journalism is DEAD!

All teams in the NFL have TRAINING FACILITIES that they use during the regular season. The site in Florham Park was initially built for just that purpose. Just as the Giants are moving into their new facility (sans bleachers) later this summer a 1/4 of a mile from the stadium.

As for the JULY camp - Just as I stated in a prior post - THEY DO NOT HAVE SUFFICIENT LOCATIONS FOR SECURE DORMS NEARBY.

The original plans (that still do exist) call for 2 new Hotels to be built as ANCILLARY to this facility. However, due to the economic crisis, they were unable to get a bidder for construction to begin, let alone built, at this time.

That's the true reason that they have been looking at a JULY camp location - Just as the GIANTS have abandoned NOT keeping the JULY camp at SUNY/Albany.

All physical camps prior to & after the Draft will remain @ Florham Park NJ!

Stop Whining, this economic crunch is effecting everyone - and I can not believe that even I get it, while some of you don't!

...Let alone a Newark Star Ledger staff that these days come off as "GOSSIP" columnists instead of researching the entire fact that this is a "SECURITY" issue! Yet they wonder why print journalism is DEAD!

where are the bleachers and where is the parking ? TC will never be at FP, even with the hotels

Training camp need not be at the training facility. Having training near where we play during the season is a good idea. Almost every team trains near their stadium. It allows the players to live nearby, and less of a hassle for game days.

As for CAMP, lots of teams do that off-site. The reasons for doing so include:

1) Better ability to keep the team in one spot with dorms, etc

2) A place for fans to show up to... The Eagles training complex is NOT open to the public, for example (btw, I've been in there when interviewing for a job, our new facility is nicer).

3) Expands / maintains a connection to a far away part of the fan-base. Its why you'll find Eagles fans in Northeast PA (hours away from Philly), and Giants fans in Albany. In baseball its why you find Yankees fans in Tampa...

I think Hofstra would be a good spot for our camp, but I think that the facilities we had there were slated to become a medical school, so we probably can't go back.

Training Camp is a fraction of the NFL year. The Jets have TC from what? July to August? So for 10 months out of 12 the Jets are at Florham Park.

So how in the heck can anyone say that the Jets are "abandoning" their new facility?

where are the bleachers and where is the parking ? TC will never be at FP, even with the hotels

Lars Buddy - Here's a little bit of Hofstra training camp history - THE NEW BLEACHERS WERE INSTALLED ONLY 6 YEARS AGO!

Prior to that, you had to bring your own chairs, stand against the gates or you had to sit on the ground.

Now before anyone chants in, I am aware that a SMALL rickety single (1) long bleacher stood there for years. However, it only held about 200-300 people. Heck, Foxjet & I have gone to camp every year for the last 15-years or so, I think I can remember that far back...

As for parking, the facility holds about the same amount as the Hofstra lot did. There is no change to that, except the site is secure with 2 guarded gates, much more than it was in LI.

Rex Ryan may change his mind after a few years if it no longer becomes cost efficient to have training camp away from the training facility.

With the way the economy is these days, that could happen.

After the Jets praised this first class training facility it makes them look incompetent to say we have to go upstate New York to train.

But they're not going because the training facility can't handle it. Rex wants to get the team away all at one location. A lot of teams do this. Jets' fans were just spoiled by them training at Hofstra all year round.

TWO MONTHS

The Jets will not use Florham Park for only TWO MONTHS. That's it. The criticism of them in this instance is off base.

The Jets will use the facility for all the OTAs, the offseason, and the season. Only during the 2 months of TC will they not use it. Big deal.

TWO MONTHS

The Jets will not use Florham Park for only TWO MONTHS. That's it. The criticism of them in this instance is off base.

The Jets will use the facility for all the OTAs, the offseason, and the season. Only during the 2 months of TC will they not use it. Big deal.

It's not even two months. It's more like 5-6 weeks.

Lars Buddy - Here's a little bit of Hofstra training camp history - THE NEW BLEACHERS WERE INSTALLED ONLY 6 YEARS AGO!

Prior to that, you had to bring your own chairs, stand against the gates or you had to sit on the ground.

Now before anyone chants in, I am aware that a SMALL rickety single (1) long bleacher stood there for years. However, it only held about 200-300 people. Heck, Foxjet & I have gone to camp every year for the last 15-years or so, I think I can remember that far back...

As for parking, the facility holds about the same amount as the Hofstra lot did. There is no change to that, except the site is secure with 2 guarded gates, much more than it was in LI.

Rex Ryan may change his mind after a few years if it no longer becomes cost efficient to have training camp away from the training facility.

I don't think those old bleachers held close to 200 people. More like 50 on a good day.

I can remember going out to Hofstra while working for my Dad on the Island in the early 90's and eating lunch while I watched practice and there were maybe 10 people out there besides me.

This outrage about TC is laughable seeing as how nobody ever used to go.

dude

my point is simple. they spent 75 mill and don't have a place for camp this summer, and it's not just the hotels. I've been going to camp for over 25 years. times have changed. you need to provide adequate seating for families, and lots of 'em. this aint 1979 anymore

I actually don't care, I only go once a summer these days anyway and a road trip upstate would be fun

bottom line is they ****ed up and look stupid for scouting out camps in APRIL

No, it doesn't.

I know this is a few weeks old but this absolutely makes the Jets look foolish. I am not saying it isn't the right thing for them to do. But the fact remains, the draft is in one week. And the Jets still have not made a formal announcement about were their new players will be spending the summer.

The Jets, lol. That should be the new slogan.

I know this is a few weeks old but this absolutely makes the Jets look foolish. I am not saying it isn't the right thing for them to do. But the fact remains, the draft is in one week. And the Jets still have not made a formal announcement about were their new players will be spending the summer.

The Jets, lol. That should be the new slogan.

I don't know Max, from everything I've read it seems that Rex Ryan is the driving force behind this.

I think the original plan was to hold camp at Florham Park but Ryan is repeatedly quoted as saying he wants a "secluded location" for camp.

What's really kind of funny to me about this is the overreaction of a lot of the fans. Jets fans have really been kind of spoiled over the years when it comes to training camp.

They are one of the few teams that has consistently held camp in the same location for a long period of time. Many teams change their TC location every few years, so we don't know how odd this is because we've never dealt with it before. This story certainly isn't a national story, nobody but the local media seems to even care.

Also, about half the teams in the league routinely hold camp in places that are geographically undesirable to their local fanbase. There are also a handful that never have camp open to the public.

All those things are probably true. But the fact that the Jets last year said they were doing it in Florham Park and left Hofstra only to scramble to find a new place like Hofstra, well it makes them the Jets.

I have said all along that I was psyched it was going to be in NJ. For a few reasons, I would get to go often. Many of us would and we would have had free camp reports every single day. BUT -- if Rex Ryan feels it is the right thing to do then they should do whatever he says. Hold it in Alaska if it will help.

I am on board with that. I am just shocked that a professional sports franchise seems so confused.

Archived