2009/10 NCAA basketball Thread

SouthernJet

Well here is a early Preseason Top 10

DETROIT -- College basketball in the post-Tyler Hansbrough Era: less shot-putting, more uncertainty. There will be no clear-cut No. 1 entering next season, as there was when Hansbrough and teammates Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington opted to return to North Carolina to chase a national title. The best candidate may be the team that was manhandled on Monday night. As upsetting as that finale must have been for Michigan State -- the Spartans lost by 17 to the Tar Heels, and will lose seniors Goran Suton and Travis Walton -- it'll be trotting out the best starting five in college hoops next season, with Kalin Lucas at the point, Chris Allen (or Korie Lucious) at shooting guard, Durrell Summers at the wing, and Raymar Morgan and Delvon Roe at the forward spots. And that lineup, at this very early juncture (I'm writing this from the airport on the way back from the Final Four) makes Michigan State my pick for 2009-10's preseason No. 1.

My entire top 10 includes all of '09's Final Four teams, and, assuming a host of players turn pro -- Oklahoma's Blake Griffin, North Carolina's Lawson and Ellington, Arizona State's James Harden, Memphis's Tyreke Evans, UConn's Hasheem Thabeet, Pitt's DeJuan Blair, Wake Forest's James Johnson and Duke's Gerald Henderson -- looks like this:

1. Michigan State

If only the Final Four were in Detroit again: Motown products Lucas and Summers (as well as Ohioans Morgan and Roe) will lead a Spartans team deep and talented enough to make another title run. Like the Tar Heels did after getting embarrassed by Kansas in 2008, the Spartans can rebound from a big-stage loss and use it as a springboard for a magical season.

2. Kansas

A second national title in three years is a possibility, especially if the Jayhawks land top shooting guard Xavier Henry, who reopened his recruitment after John Calipari left Memphis. Henry might be lured back to the Tigers -- for whom his brother, C.J., currently plays -- if new coach Josh Pastner hires the boys' father, Carl, as his new director of basketball operations. But will Xavier want to pass up the chance to join forces with the fearsome inside-outside duo of point guard Sherron Collins and center Cole Aldrich, who emerged as a premier defensive force this season?

3. Syracuse

Noticing a theme? Our top three teams feature the nation's top three point guards. As long as Jonny Flynn returns for his junior year, the Orange will have their entire starting lineup back and should be the favorite to win a less-loaded Big East. In Eric Devendorf and Andy Rautins, Flynn has two of the best perimeter targets in the country.

4. Connecticut

The big question in Storrs regards coach Jim Calhoun: Is he leaning toward retirement as the possibility of NCAA sanctions looms? Among the incentives to stay is the trio of Kemba Walker, Jerome Dyson and Stanley Robinson, who are capable of leading the Huskies back to the Final Four. Freshman forward Ater Majok, who couldn't gain eligibility in time to join the Huskies for the '08-09 season, is regarded as a potential offensive star.

5. Villanova

The guard ranks will be ridiculously deep -- McDonald's All-Americans Dominic Cheek and Maalik Wayns join a strong backcourt crew that could return intact -- but the frontcourt will miss Dante Cunningham and Dwayne Anderson. If coach Jay Wright can find a way for his vaunted recruiting class to coexist with current backcourt talents Scottie Reynolds and Corey Fisher, the Wildcats will be dangerous once again.

6. Duke

The Blue Devils are finally adding some quality size in 6-9 Ryan Kelly (a faceup power forward) and 6-10 Mason Plumlee (a traditional center), who could help potential All-America Kyle Singler on the glass. Sophomore Elliot Williams should flourish in his first full season at the point -- but he could be moved off the ball if the Blue Devils land top recruit John Wall, whom coach Mike Krzyzewski is making a late push to lure to Durham.

7. Purdue

The Boilers could break through to the Elite Eight or beyond -- as long as the L5 vertebra fracture that plagued Robbie Hummel this year doesn't continue to nag him as a junior. Frontcourt mate JaJuan Johnson had a breakout year as a sophomore and was key in getting the team to the Sweet 16. As a junior he should battle Michigan State's Lucas for Big Ten Player of the Year honors.

8. North Carolina

In Ed Davis, Deon Thompson, Tyler Zeller and newcomer John Henson, the Heels will have an NBA-level frontcourt rotation. But how good will their speed game be without Lawson? The pressure will be on sophomore Larry Drew II to efficiently run the break, and senior Marcus Ginyard, who took a medical redshirt and missed the title run, will have to add some offense to his defense-heavy game.

9. West Virginia

This should be Bob Huggins' best team yet in Morgantown, in part because matchup nightmare Devin Ebanks will take the Big East by storm as a sophomore. The Mountaineers lose only gunner Alex Ruoff, but forward Da'Sean Butler, one of the nation's best under-the-radar scorers, can pick up the slack.

10. Oklahoma

Guard Willie Warren wants to come back "without Blake Griffin to see how good [he is]"-- and there's a chance Warren could be an All-America as a sophomore. Two McDonald's All-Americans, point guard Tommy Mason-Griffin and big man Keith "Tiny" Gallon, are joining him, so the Sooners should finish near the top of the Big 12 again.

WILD CARD: Kentucky

In their current state, the Wildcats shouldn't be near the top 20. But how will they look once new coach John Calipari is done building his first-year roster? The best-case scenario in Lexington could yield a team capable of chasing a national title. If lethal scorer Jodie Meeks, who plans to test the draft waters as a junior, can be convinced to return along with sophomore Patrick Patterson, and Calipari can reel in elite recruits John Wall (who had been considering Memphis) and DeMarcus Cousins (who previously committed to Memphis), then Kentucky will be scary. Landing Wall, the top prep point guard in the country, is the key, because there's no one on UK's present roster who can make Calipari's Dribble-Drive Motion offense run in high gear.

The Next 10:

11. Texas; 12. Gonzaga; 13. Washington; 14. UCLA; 15. Missouri; 16. Butler; 17. Minnesota; 18. Clemson; 19. Dayton; 20. Xavier

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rumors galore today in Chapel Hill..

John Wall has indeed reached out to Carolina and Roy Williams.

His mother and he have decided to talk to UNC WITHOUT his AAU handlers (his favorite team growing up).

Carolina and Roy Williams never offered Wall because originally his AAU coach was handling all dealing , and Carolina has a policy of only dealing with kids and thier parents.

Wall reached out last week and Williams and he talked. Rumor is he is coming to campus (he only lives 10 miles away) to visit with team.

AAU coaches are steamed, but thats the way it is.

I still say he ends up at Kentucky.

BUT, if Wall goes to UNC, they immediately become potential Final Four material again.

Rumors galore today in Chapel Hill..

John Wall has indeed reached out to Carolina and Roy Williams.

His mother and he have decided to talk to UNC WITHOUT his AAU handlers (his favorite team growing up).

Carolina and Roy Williams never offered Wall because originally his AAU coach was handling all dealing , and Carolina has a policy of only dealing with kids and thier parents.

Wall reached out last week and Williams and he talked. Rumor is he is coming to campus (he only lives 10 miles away) to visit with team.

AAU coaches are steamed, but thats the way it is.

I still say he ends up at Kentucky.

BUT, if Wall goes to UNC, they immediately become potential Final Four material again.

He's going to Carolina.

As of right now, it looks like Flynn, Devo, and Harris are coming back. If Syracuse wants to make a serious run at the final4, Jackson and Onuaku will seriously need to step up.

syracuse wil ldef be in elite 8 mix..

this years run and eventiual disapointment will solidify them...see what 2008 did for UNC ;)

from your lips to god's ears :D

we have to wait til lTy and Wayne declare for NBA before we can offer,,thats the rumor on why no official movement

I'm assuming Wayne and Ty are gone, I hope they come back but I'll be surprised if they do. If they did the Heels might be the favorite to win it all again next year. Those 2 were absolutely amazing.

I'm assuming Wayne and Ty are gone, I hope they come back but I'll be surprised if they do. If they did the Heels might be the favorite to win it all again next year. Those 2 were absolutely amazing.

ya, they are gone,,but have to officially inform university before we can offer a scholly

If Wall signs then I think next year with Duke gets very interesting..

based on final standings, who do we get in Big Ten Challenge>?? You know the format?

I kind of hope Michigan at Michigan,,JGBs and I will go up there for that ...

ya, they are gone,,but have to officially inform university before we can offer a scholly

If Wall signs then I think next year with Duke gets very interesting..

based on final standings, who do we get in Big Ten Challenge>?? You know the format?

I kind of hope Michigan at Michigan,,JGBs and I will go up there for that ...

I'm sure they will try to schedule a title game rematch.

Well here is a early Preseason Top 10

1) I think Villanova may be a bit overrated at 5. We're a good team, but we are going to have a VERY young frontcourt next year, and it may not be until late in the season that the team performs at top-5 levels.

1b) That said, I won't be surprised if we do perform well early. Jay is going to have some options, and he is committed to putting the best players on the court. This is a team that can go to a four-guard line-up next year, if need be, but I think Jay will play it smart and put at least two guys in the frontcourt -- though we'll see a couple different looks, regardless.

2) I think UConn is a little more of a question mark without Thabeet. Also, this depends a lot on Calhoun.

3) If Duke gets John Wall, they will be good.

4) Still not sold on any Big 10 schools after Michigan State.

5) "Tiny" Gallon is good. Oklahoma takes a step back next year, but not a big one.

6) Clemson is (as always) overrated.

7) Who is coaching Xavier?

-----

I REALLY hope Wall doesn't go to UNC. Nonetheless, I doubt he really can fill Lawson's nikes as a frosh. He also may be a one-and-done, which could make UNC take a pass on him.

As of right now, it looks like Flynn, Devo, and Harris are coming back. If Syracuse wants to make a serious run at the final4, Jackson and Onuaku will seriously need to step up.

Harris, from what Im hearing from my sources with the team, has essentially already made up his mind NOT to return next year. In fact, they tell me he left campus and went home immediately after the team returned from their sweet 16 loss and hasn't returned since. Makes sense for him though, as he would likely have been replaced by Wes Johnson in the starting lineup and his stock would be even further down the drain than it is now.

Flynn wants to come back but is entering his name into the draft and is going to see where he is projected to end up, and Devo is almost certain that he's coming back.

I agree Jackson and Onuaku are going to have to step it up next year if we want to be cutting down the nets in the rather short Jonny Flynn era, but the addition of Wes Johnson (transfer F from Iowa St) should help both of them out a lot down low. He is, from what I hear, a superfreak type of athlete.

A Just updated NBA draft...

Includes Henerson/Flynn Heels etc

http://www.nbadraft.net/2009mock_draft

If Flynn is only a 15ish pick, he will not declare for the draft. He really wants to win a national championship with Syracuse and has said how much he loves college life. From what I hear he does have good enough grades where he will by no means be forced out, and he can improve his stock to potentially a top 5 pick if he comes back next year and matches, or exceeds, expectations again next season.

BTW, I dont see the Knicks taking Henderson at all. How many damned SG's does a team need??

Thabeet will go top 5, EASY.

And Ty Lawson to the Nets? Awesome ;)

Thabeet will be a Manute Bol type of player. he'll block shots w/ no offensive game(although Manute could hit the 3) and he'll get beat up by much bigger, more physical players.

Thabeet will be a Manute Bol type of player. he'll block shots w/ no offensive game(although Manute could hit the 3) and he'll get beat up by much bigger, more physical players.

exactly

i'm sure some idiot team will take him in top 5

I REALLY hope Wall doesn't go to UNC. Nonetheless, I doubt he really can fill Lawson's nikes as a frosh. He also may be a one-and-done, which could make UNC take a pass on him.

why the hate on UNC? I would think you just wouldnt want Wall going to a BE team other than Nova?

Harris, from what Im hearing from my sources with the team, has essentially already made up his mind NOT to return next year. In fact, they tell me he left campus and went home immediately after the team returned from their sweet 16 loss and hasn't returned since. Makes sense for him though, as he would likely have been replaced by Wes Johnson in the starting lineup and his stock would be even further down the drain than it is now.

Flynn wants to come back but is entering his name into the draft and is going to see where he is projected to end up, and Devo is almost certain that he's coming back.

I agree Jackson and Onuaku are going to have to step it up next year if we want to be cutting down the nets in the rather short Jonny Flynn era, but the addition of Wes Johnson (transfer F from Iowa St) should help both of them out a lot down low. He is, from what I hear, a superfreak type of athlete.

Interesting about Harris. I can see that actually. Wes Johnson, from all I hear, is going to be a very good player. I can't really say I'm upset about Harris if it's true; he just doesn't really fit into any position. He tries to do way too much and he can't. Harris isn't really the big deal since Johnson will come in and hopefully Devo comes back.

Interesting about Harris. I can see that actually. Wes Johnson, from all I hear, is going to be a very good player. I can't really say I'm upset about Harris if it's true; he just doesn't really fit into any position. He tries to do way too much and he can't. Harris isn't really the big deal since Johnson will come in and hopefully Devo comes back.

Losing Harris would be fine, room for scholarships is more important than him taking up space with Johnson coming in, he won't really be needed next year.

About Devendorf...he graduates this May, but him and his father both said that he wants to come back, so I wouldn't worry there.

Losing Harris would be fine, room for scholarships is more important than him taking up space with Johnson coming in, he won't really be needed next year.

About Devendorf...he graduates this May, but him and his father both said that he wants to come back, so I wouldn't worry there.

Where would he go? I don't think he'll be an NBA player, maybe he'll fill out a roster but he has D-League written all over him.

Archived