2009/10 NCAA basketball Thread

SouthernJet

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Their not my favorite either, but they are still standing.

I lost my mind when they called a charge on Baylor instead of the fifth foul on Zoubek. But, Baylor has no one to blame but themselves for the way they played after that.

Reading some of the posts in this thread solidify my opinion of most college basketball fans: All they care about is the big conference teams doing well.

Well, I was more than happy to see Northern Iowa beat Kansas, and I wanted them to keep winning. St. Mary's was a fun team to watch, I just rooted against them because they were playing a Big East team. Loved Murray State winning, and I wanted them to keep advancing. I just don't like Butler because they play basketball that looks like ****. Not very entertaining.

So, to respond to your post. I care about Syracuse doing well first and foremost, then the Big east doing well, then I root for the midmajors - they are great to watch in every tournament. And I don't consider teams like Butler, Xavier, and Gonzaga midmajors anymore.

its never been about the best team for the year. its about the team thats the best in March. But it takes being best in March and having a Tournament team. Some teams are great during year, but arent built for a torney run which means playing greta teams every oteh night. When you have close games you need poise and foul shooting. Great coaches also help ;)

1 - Yes, I would call Tennessee an illegitimate Final Four team if they beat MSU today... I do not think they are close to being one of the 4 best teams in the nation this year either.

2 - The design of the NCAA tournament is to give the mid majors and underdogs a shot at getting public recognition. It is not designed for the best team to win every year. If that was the objective...We'd be seeing a series incorporated.... Similar to what they have in the NBA. I hate the college football BCS system as well... But thats an entirely different argument.

3 - I did not watch the Butler-KSU game...But I did watch the Butler-SU game. There is NO QUESTION in my mind that Syracuse would beat Butler in a series...Even with the injury to Onuaku. Syracuse did not lose to Butler that game as much as they lost to themselves. They have lost by more to teams such as Lville and Pitt who play a similar style of bball as Butler plays (at least defensively), and still had better games then they had against Butler.

Butler won that game by four. Thats with a HUGE disparity in the turnover margin, which would not exist every game.

Keep in mind Butler also missed a ton of open shots that game. Syracuse played like crap, but Butler did too.

2 - The design of the NCAA tournament is to give the mid majors and underdogs a shot at getting public recognition. It is not designed for the best team to win every year.

The design of the NCAA Tournament is to make money, period. And to that end, the selection committee up until this season did as much as they could to match up mid-major vs. mid-major so the big guys could end up playing for the title. It is NOT in the NCAA's or CBS's best interests for Butler to be in the final 4 and teams like Kentucky and Kansas not to be, as much fun as it is for college basketball junkies like me to watch. MANY fans tune out when their bracket is toast, and N. Iowa toasted a LOT of brackets out there. Its the same reason they're strongly considering making it a 96-team tourney (bad idea in my mind), to incorporate more of the bigger schools that would ordinarily miss out.

If teams don't like the system, they need to adapt. Get conferences to play Thursday-Saturday schedules to get used to playing the tournament style of schedule where you only get one off day, then a week of waiting. Work harder to find depth in your roster and work harder on conditioning to outlast the competition. That's what the great teams do.

You could make this same argument about the hiring process. The system for hiring people is not necessarily built for the most talented candidates to gain a position. Its really for the people who prepare themselves the best for an interview process. If you don't prepare enough and fall short in a face-to-face interview, even if its just due to a bad day, perhaps a less qualified candidate will earn the job. Tough sh**.

The solution is to adapt, not complain that your team didn't have a good night and say that the better team lost, OR to subtly suggest that there's a systematic method in place to help out the little guy.

Reading some of the posts in this thread solidify my opinion of most college basketball fans: All they care about is the big conference teams doing well.

Reading your post tells me this puck head. You're jealous that this NCAA hoops thread has far eclipsed your hockey thread.

I lost my mind when they called a charge on Baylor instead of the fifth foul on Zoubek. But, Baylor has no one to blame but themselves for the way they played after that.

That play changed the game, the game was stolen from Baylor.

its never been about the best team for the year. its about the team thats the best in March. But it takes being best in March and having a Tournament team. Some teams are great during year, but arent built for a torney run which means playing greta teams every oteh night. When you have close games you need poise and foul shooting. Great coaches also help ;)

and in the case of duke the officials in your pocket helps too.

That play changed the game, the game was stolen from Baylor.

Enjoy your NIT bub

The game was a home game for Baylor, Baylor lost because of Dukes offensive rebounding, clearly you have no clue about Basketball, a UNC bandwagon fan I'm sure. Roy is still the worst game day coach of all time. He is the Mack Brown of

Basketball.

Enjoy your NIT bub

The game was a home game for Baylor, Baylor lost because of Dukes offensive rebounding, clearly you have no clue about Basketball, a UNC bandwagon fan I'm sure. Roy is still the worst game day coach of all time. He is the Mack Brown of

Basketball.

I am enjoying the NIt where the heels play for the Championship tomorrow night.

That offensive rebounding had nothing to do w/ duke climbing backs and putting that aside if the proper call was made on the charge/block Zoubek fould out and Baylor is up 4 w/ a chance to make it 5 in the final minutes but it was all about offensive rebounding, right? That call had nothing to do w/ the outcome:rolleyes:

Now comes the bandwagon nonsense, why don't you ever talk CU basketball? I'm sure if they made the FF you'd be talking about them. THAT is what a bandwagon fan is.

I am enjoying the NIt where the heels play for the Championship tomorrow night.

That offensive rebounding had nothing to do w/ duke climbing backs and putting that aside if the proper call was made on the charge/block Zoubek fould out and Baylor is up 4 w/ a chance to make it 5 in the final minutes but it was all about offensive rebounding, right? That call had nothing to do w/ the outcome:rolleyes:

Now comes the bandwagon nonsense, why don't you ever talk CU basketball? I'm sure if they made the FF you'd be talking about them. THAT is what a bandwagon fan is.

As a Big12 fan, i could give a sh1t about Duke, i am objective, you are not not

baylor lost game on rebounding not on a charging call that could have gone either way

if you had any brain and had blood besides carolina blue.......

BTW nice trip on RI player last night, enjoy the NIT

As a Big12 fan, i could give a sh1t about Duke, i am objective, you are not not

baylor lost game on rebounding not on a charging call that could have gone either way

if you had any brain and had blood besides carolina blue.......

BTW nice trip on RI player last night, enjoy the NIT

That's not what I hear.

Again, I AM enjoying the NIT and we all know how duke made the FF. They were given a creampuff brackett then facing a tough team for the first time had their trusty zebras bail them out against Baylor.

This is the weakest year in CBB history, Carolina '09 would have beaten any of these teams by at least 25-30.

Lets not pretend UNC didnt get a favor from the refs last night

Are you comparing 1 bad call in an NIT game to getting a road paved w/ gold to a FF then facing the only quality team they faced all Tourney long getting break after break?

No, Im not. But last night was really bad.

It should have been called BUT Graves was pushed from behind as well AND even if he doesn't trip him up he would have had a near impossible shot and keep in mind they let them play last night. The heels dominated down low all night and shot less FTs than URI.

The heels couldn't pull it off but they finish the season on a positive note regardless and we'll see real Carolina basketball return next year. I hope the Carolina haters enjoyed this year, it will be a while before we see another.

Archived