Heyward Bey - WASSUP?

Barton

This is the dude we need to talk about....

What We Know:

1. Production in college was not very good

2. Most talented WR in the draft

3. Tall and Fast, really fast.

4. Gil Brandt doesnt have him in his top 30 but said this:

Ran 4.33 at the combine

He never had a QB at Maryland, either.

And the hype on him moving up draft boards didn't start here either. He had a huge following going into Maryland, they expected him to be great, and maybe if he had a QB, he would've been. He isn't one of those fast risers you just heard about this season, Heyward-Bey has been a name for a while now for those who follow closely.

I'd rather draft Heyward-Bey at 17 than Percy Harvin, Brandon Pettigrew (2nd TE on our team), Tyson Jackson or send our 2nd to Dallas for Miles Austin.

I like him but his hands make me nervous. Also, I could see him coming here and being called a bust after his first season since he's raw and people expect immediate production because of his talent. I wouldn't touch him in the top 10 like some in the media are suggesting but he's pretty solid value at 17. Of the players that are some what likely to be around I'd probably only take Jackson over him.

So what the f##k should the Jets do if he's there at 17?

Should they take the chance, all or nothing?

Keep in mind that guys like this are usually top 7 locks.

keep in mind top 7 locks who aren't in the top 30 have question marks. inconsistent hands is OK for a OG, not good for a WR

if he's around the top guy on the jets board at 17, I wouldn't mind them taking him over a LT or OLB, but it would be a mistake to reach more than a few spots down the draft board for this guy

keep in mind top 7 locks who aren't in the top 30 have question marks. inconsistent hands is OK for a OG, not good for a WR

if he's around the top guy on the jets board at 17, I wouldn't mind them taking him over a LT or OLB, but it would be a mistake to reach more than a few spots down the draft board for this guy

Ya think? ;)

IMHO...The WR position has always been difficult to evaluate. It definitely takes more than just speed to succeed in the NFL. Soft hands plus a strong work ethic to improve route running are absoulutely crucial. To me that is why there have been so many WR busts in the first round. OTOH...if he was the complete package (had the production numbers with a better college QB) he never makes it to us at 17. Prefer Knowshon Moreno or Jeremy Maclin if they are still on the board.

If they are gone...draft DHB.

Archived