RIP Steve McNair

JoeC36

its pretty annoying to see what threads have turned into as of late. To be honest, 124, has been a quality poster throughout my time on these boards. He brings his football knowledge into most posts. Lately, it seems that DLJ and some other posters have been taking every thread and turning them into a joke. This thread, should have remained serious throughout, but obviously, it was turned into another joke. I love JN, and i love teh fact that we have a "lounge" area for posters to go, and just shoot the sh*t. If you want to crack jokes, do it in there, I think the football threads should stay more geared towards football as a whole. Obviously jokes will be made, and opinions will come to bother some, and a joke will be at theire expensve every now in than,but in the end, its nice that its just football. Sucks to see 124 banned for 30 days. I agree with Max, that no it sucks to have to ban ppl, but i think 30 days for 124 is steep, as he is a passionate football fan, and not a message board instigator.

I agree with what you have to say and anyone getting banned sucks. However, no one was really making jokes. They were speculating and discussing the aspects of his murder. Which is interesting at least and sensational at most. No one can disagree with that. 124 did not like that people were questioning his(Mcnair's) actions and behaviors that led up to his murder and took some things personal and overreacted. It happens. He will be back and everything will be back to normal.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Joe,

Anyone who thinks they can talk like that on this board is sadly mistaken. We have been trying very hard to calm things down here. If you can't have a debate and talk about the topic at hand without writing something like that, then maybe this isn't the place for you.

You will have some time to think about it either way.

I find it very disturbing that you would think that this is okay.

I am not defending 124 for what he said because it was wrong (especially directed at who it was directed at)... but I think a banning of 124 is way out of line. He is a good dude who is a great member of this site and used bad judgement during a heated exchange about an emotional topic.

I say lift the ban dude... It just isn't right and IMO he deserves the benefit of the doubt since he interpreted Verde's attack of his views as Verde's attack on his life.

I am not defending 124 for what he said because it was wrong (especially directed at who it was directed at)... but I think a banning of 124 is way out of line. He is a good dude who is a great member of this site and used bad judgement during a heated exchange about an emotional topic.

I say lift the ban dude... It just isn't right and IMO he deserves the benefit of the doubt since he interpreted Verde's attack of his views as Verde's attack on his life.

Which is why it was a temp ban. He wasn't banned for life. Anyone else would have gotten the ole permaban.

I already asked Max to put it up for a vote amongst us members because I felt bad he got banned. Max already said he cannot rescind the ban.

I agree with what you have to say and anyone getting banned sucks. However, no one was really making jokes. They were speculating and discussing the aspects of his murder. Which is interesting at least and sensational at most. No one can disagree with that. 124 did not like that people were questioning his(Mcnair's) actions and behaviors that led up to his murder and took some things personal and overreacted. It happens. He will be back and everything will be back to normal.

I didnt really mean this thread in particular, but most threads as of late. I know that people were speculating, and no one really knows anything at this time. I just meant in general.

I didnt really mean this thread in particular, but most threads as of late. I know that people were speculating, and no one really knows anything at this time. I just meant in general.

It's the offseason. Things always get a little weird around that time. There is nothing going on now football wise. There is nothing else. When things start happening it will calm down. A lot of the bad seeds are gone already.

I actually agree. Joe is a good guy and I think he was simply defending a player who like he said was his favorite non-Jet. I think bannings should be reserved for guys who actually intend to post garbage and ruin threads, 124 is not that type of poster and he does contribute a lot of positive talk in the football forum. I think like you said he simply got caught up in a bad topic.

He's harmless, unless your JMJ, in which case your life is in danger.:winking0001:

I actually agree. Joe is a good guy and I think he was simply defending a player who like he said was his favorite non-Jet. I think bannings should be reserved for guys who actually intend to post garbage and ruin threads, 124 is not that type of poster and he does contribute a lot of positive talk in the football forum. I think like you said he simply got caught up in a bad topic.

He's harmless, unless your JMJ, in which case your life is in danger.:winking0001:

...and by defending Joe I am not saying he is right because he wasn't. I just think the ban is a bit out of line given the circumstances.

its pretty annoying to see what threads have turned into as of late. To be honest, 124, has been a quality poster throughout my time on these boards. He brings his football knowledge into most posts. Lately, it seems that DLJ and some other posters have been taking every thread and turning them into a joke. This thread, should have remained serious throughout, but obviously, it was turned into another joke. I love JN, and i love teh fact that we have a "lounge" area for posters to go, and just shoot the sh*t. If you want to crack jokes, do it in there, I think the football threads should stay more geared towards football as a whole. Obviously jokes will be made, and opinions will come to bother some, and a joke will be at theire expensve every now in than,but in the end, its nice that its just football. Sucks to see 124 banned for 30 days. I agree with Max, that no it sucks to have to ban ppl, but i think 30 days for 124 is steep, as he is a passionate football fan, and not a message board instigator.

Who are the "some other posters"? The people who dared to disagree with 124? The problem was that 124 didn't keep it to football. He let his temper get in the way of a discussion and ended up making a personal attack.

That's a beautiful sentiment, really. That football threads should be kept totally serious and free from banter and disagreement. Are you serious?

Unfortunately, even in football threads, there is going to be a vast array of opinion, dissension and, God forbid, even some humor. Gasp.

How did I turn this thread into a joke? And I havent been here in over a week until yesterday so what exactly are you talking about? Please don't use me as a scapegoat because your buddy got banned as if it's my fault. I too thought the 30 day was steep for a good poster like 124 but Max said his ruling is final and it is what it is. You're dogging me while saying nothing about the fact that he called Verde a B---- for no other reason than the fact that he was pissed off.

You did nothing of the sort. The only joke in this thread is that people only see what they want to.

Birds of a feather stick together, DLJ.. don't sweat it.

My attack?? Are you serious? I said his views on life were askew due to his age. Good lord some people need a thicker skin. Oooh.. oh.. maybe I shouldn't say that, it may be viewed as an attack.

And how could the latter (in your statement) even be possible being I don't know him in real life.

Who are the "some other posters"? The people who dared to disagree with 124? The problem was that 124 didn't keep it to football. He let his temper get in the way of a discussion and ended up making a personal attack.

That's a beautiful sentiment, really. That football threads should be kept totally serious and free from banter and disagreement. Are you serious?

Unfortunately, even in football threads, there is going to be a vast array of opinion, dissension and, God forbid, even some humor. Gasp.

Haha, "Dared"to disagree with 124", I love how you say that as if debating him is a challenge. (I'm kidding Joe:winking0001:)

The way I see it he was simply defending a player who he clearly admired. Look I happen to think some of your initial comments were out of line, I mean seriously, who are you (or anyone esle for that matter) to judge Steve McNair for what he was as a father? He cheated, he made a mistake as every human does. Now I don't like the fact that Joe was talking him up as a great either but still.

I'll leave the judgement to his children. I'm not saying he's a good or bad father but I don't like people speculating whether he was or not. If he had an affair then yeah, that's certainly not right but that doesn't define who he is a person. I know people who are great guys and have cheated on their wives. Does that make them bad people? Bad Parents? I don't think so. People make mistakes in life, that's just the way it is.

I'm not saying that there's no place for off-topic debates on a football forum but yes I would take exception to people speculating about how a dead man should be judged as a human being and as a father. That's just BS IMO.

My attack?? Are you serious? I said his views on life were askew due to his age. Good lord some people need a thicker skin. Oooh.. oh.. maybe I shouldn't say that, it may be viewed as an attack.

And how could the latter (in your statement) even be possible being I don't know him in real life.

Yah think?

I like 124. I enjoy his football posts. I also agree that he got a little heated when defending McNair. He's young and he's emotional. I don't think he's an intentionally mean person. Frankly, there are only a handful of posters here that do instigate and post to cause a stink. 124 was not one of 'em. Just my opinion. :)

I hate to lose any poster here. Anyone who knows me at all knows that is true. All I ask is that people follow a few simple rules all which are designed to keep people from fighting.

Just respect each other and differing opinions and there really wouldn't be any problem. We don't ban people for joking around. The lack of respect is what concerns me.

For the people that say 30 days is kind of steep. Most of the time we just do permanent bans, so this was a compromise. :-P I know Joe. I know he is a good guy. He is a friend of mine but we have to clean things up because the tone here right now isn't cool.

Thanks.

I hate to lose any poster here. Anyone who knows me at all knows that is true. All I ask is that people follow a few simple rules all which are designed to keep people from fighting.

Just respect each other and differing opinions and there really wouldn't be any problem. We don't ban people for joking around. The lack of respect is what concerns me.

For the people that say 30 days is kind of steep. Most of the time we just do permanent bans, so this was a compromise. :-P I know Joe. I know he is a good guy. He is a friend of mine but we have to clean things up because the tone here right now isn't cool.

Thanks.

F**k you, Ace. :)

Haha, "Dared"to disagree with 124", I love how you say that as if debating him is a challenge. (I'm kidding Joe:winking0001:)

The way I see it he was simply defending a player who he clearly admired. Look I happen to think some of your initial comments were out of line, I mean seriously, who are you (or anyone esle for that matter) to judge Steve McNair for what he was as a father? He cheated, he made a mistake as every human does. Now I don't like the fact that Joe was talking him up as a great either but still.

I'll leave the judgement to his children. I'm not saying he's a good or bad father but I don't like people speculating whether he was or not. If he had an affair then yeah, that's certainly not right but that doesn't define who he is a person. I know people who are great guys and have cheated on their wives. Does that make them bad people? Bad Parents? I don't think so. People make mistakes in life, that's just the way it is.

I'm not saying that there's no place for off-topic debates on a football forum but yes I would take exception to people speculating about how a dead man should be judged as a human being and as a father. That's just BS IMO.

So essentially, what you're saying is that noone is allowed to speculate about someone's character in a negative way just because it differs from what you believe is moral or good.

It's the offseason. Things always get a little weird around that time. There is nothing going on now football wise. There is nothing else. When things start happening it will calm down. A lot of the bad seeds are gone already.

Amen to that. We need some football.

So essentially, what you're saying is that noone is allowed to speculate about someone's character in a negative way just because it differs from what you believe is moral or good.

Basically yes. You're going by assumptions and IMO bringing those up in a thread created to remember him in a positive way. I'm not saying you're wrong to feel the way you do, just that I don't see why you criticise McNair as a father here of all places when you have no idea how his children actually felt towards him.

Basically yes. You're going by assumptions and IMO bringing those up in a thread created to remember him in a positive way. I'm not saying you're wrong to feel the way you do, just that I don't see why you criticise McNair as a father here of all places when you have no idea how his children actually felt towards him.

When you played baseball as a kid, did they keep score? I'm guessing not.

Sorry I meant... Can I make an IRA joke or would that be offensive to you?

:rl:

Go for it.

Look my point is that when you could see that so many people liked and respected McNair as a football player in this thread that it's not a good idea to question him as a father based purely on assumptiom. IMO that was never going to end well.

:rl:

Go for it.

Look my point is that when you could see that so many people liked and respected McNair as a football player in this thread that it's not a good idea to question him as a father based purely on assumptiom. IMO that was never going to end well.

When you guys were making nail bombs and chucking them at the brits did they keep a body count? I'm guessing no.

On topic, I can understand where should people wont like it but they should still be able to handle the discussion is a civil manner or ignore it.

When you guys were making nail bombs and chucking them at the brits did they keep a body count? I'm guessing no.

On topic, I can understand where should people wont like it but they should still be able to handle the discussion is a civil manner or ignore it.

*Retracted for fear of banishment*

Here of all places because THAT'S where the thread was started. lol.

Hey.. it's a message board!! Are we all supposed to be of one collective mind? Silly.

Almost every thread/discussion is based on speculation.. And if I had a dime for every time a member said something disrespectful, tasteless, or based on speculation, I'd be rich.

Archived