Mets fire executive who challenged players to fight

JetNation

@ the presser Omar Minaya called Rubin out for using the story he broke to usurp Bernazard's position.

Omar better provide proof. That's a pretty serious accusation.

I think it's time the Mets get rid Omar. Especially if this accusation is false. He'll never a break in the media again.

The transcript of the Minaya-Rubin exchange...

Omar Minaya:

Once the reports came out, you know, of course we had to expedite more the investigation. Early in the process, early in the process, when the reports came out, I had to kind of tell myself, "Wow, these things are coming out." And I say this because coming from Adam Rubin, okay, and Adam, you gotta understand this, Adam, for the past couple of years, has lobby for a player development position. He has lobby myself, he has lobby Tony. So when these things came out I was kind of a little bit, I had to think about it. And I was a little bit, you know, somewhat, kind of, we gotta find out about this. We really have to do a thorough investigation of this.

<snip>

Adam Rubin:
Is what you're alleging that I tried to tear Tony down so I could take his job? Is that what you're saying?

Omar Minaya:
No, no, I'm not saying that. All I'm saying was, that I know that when you wrote the reports, but I am saying, that in the past, you have, have lobby for a player, for a for a job...

Adam Rubin:
If I were interested in working in player development somewhere in the major leagues at some point in my life, how did that impact this situation at all?

Omar Minaya:
I said, because, when the reports came out a lot of these things were cross... I said "Who's writing these reports?" and I said well okay who's writing the reports and in the back of my mind, Adam, you have told me you have told other people in the front office that you want to work for player development in the front office.

Adam Rubin:
So what you're alleging is that.. the only conclusion I can draw from that is that you're trying to allege that I tried to tear everyone down so that I could take their position. Is that what you're saying?

Omar Minaya:
Adam...

Adam Rubin:
It seems pretty despicable to say that.

<snip>

Omar Minaya:
Look, was Tony the most-liked person in the world? No, he was not. We know that. And Marty, and you've been around baseball a long time, and there's a lot of people that are not sometimes we don't like, ahh, and, you know, and they're, they've been good baseball people. But, you know, I could tell you that he may, was he the most more-liked person in the world? No. Was he a good baseball person? Yes.

Bernazard was the POS who stabbed Willie Randolph in the back. Minaya has a pair of balls to run Rubin down for telling the truth about his butt buddy.

Congrats, Mets fans. One down, two to go. If the owners clean house after the season, you'll be on the road back.

Bernazard was the POS who stabbed Willie Randolph in the back. Minaya has a pair of balls to run Rubin down for telling the truth about his butt buddy.

Congrats, Mets fans. One down, two to go. If the owners clean house after the season, you'll be on the road back.

This was bizarre. Rubin's story,whether he is a jerk or not,was true.Otherwise they wouldn't have fired Bernazard. Picking a fight with the media, who have bandwidth,radio time, ink and cameras to spare to tell their side of the story is a really bad idea. Minaya pretty much signed his own pink slip today, barring an unprecedented turnaorund. And he and Bernazard are not getting new jobs anytime soon.

As a fellow Yankee fan, Randolph, while may be not a great manager, is a very decent gentleman who deserved better treatment than he got from the Mets. What goes around comes around, Tony. Randolph will never worry about his next job between now and the day he retires to New Jersey. Bernazard will soon find out how to dumpster dive, because he is now unemployable.

Wow that is drama... and this was done AT the press conference?

Yeah. To call it uncomfortable would be an understatement. A GM shouldn't be going @ a beat writer in such a manner, especially in a live presser with no proof.

This was bizarre. Rubin's story,whether he is a jerk or not,was true.Otherwise they wouldn't have fired Bernazard. Picking a fight with the media, who have bandwidth,radio time, ink and cameras to spare to tell their side of the story is a really bad idea. Minaya pretty much signed his own pink slip today, barring an unprecedented turnaorund. And he and Bernazard are not getting new jobs anytime soon.

As a fellow Yankee fan, Randolph, while may be not a great manager, is a very decent gentleman who deserved better treatment than he got from the Mets. What goes around comes around, Tony. Randolph will never worry about his next job between now and the day he retires to New Jersey. Bernazard will soon find out how to dumpster dive, because he is now unemployable.

Oh, you mean the decent gentleman that cried racism to the media, as soon as there was a hint that his job was on the line. And then retract the charge?

You mean the decent gentleman that buried himself in his office, cowering from the media, only to allow his players face all the music and fend for himself? That decent gentleman?

I respect that you guys protect your fellow Yankee exes. But if you believe that Willie Randolph was anything close to a true manager, you are mistaken.

Maybe in a small market his duck and weave could work, but not in NY.

Oh, you mean the decent gentleman that cried racism to the media, as soon as there was a hint that his job was on the line. And then retract the charge?

You mean the decent gentleman that buried himself in his office, cowering from the media, only to allow his players face all the music and fend for himself? That decent gentleman?

I respect that you guys protect your fellow Yankee exes. But if you believe that Willie Randolph was anything close to a true manager, you are mistaken.

Maybe in a small market his duck and weave could work, but not in NY.

Acknowledged Randolph wasn't a great manager. But he did get them to game 7 on an NLCS. When he tried to bring professionalism to the mets by reading Reyes the riot act about how to run out groundballs and stop acting like a punk, Bernazard and Minaya backed up the player. Great chain of command out there at Sh!tifield.

Further, tell me the great talent Bernazard has developed in his 5 years as VP of player development. The last things the Mets' system developed that are worth anything are Wright and Reyes-from Phillips' reign. Everyone else is here for the paycheck. The last time Minaya made a big trade he dealt Grady Sizemore for box of sunflower seeds, so the keen eye for talent and the distinctive ability he and Fighting Tony hava had for developing it seemed to have escaped their tenure here. Unless signing young-uns like Livan Hernandez, Gary Sheffield and Julio "2 year deal"Franco count. In fairness, a lot of that now is from ownership that's probably close to bankrupt practically.

Still, only a fool starts a fight with the media. That's insanely stupid. Bernazard should have been canned longa go for incompetence. Instead he was dumped because he's a tool.

Acknowledged Randolph wasn't a great manager. But he did get them to game 7 on an NLCS. When he tried to bring professionalism to the mets by reading Reyes the riot act about how to run out groundballs and stop acting like a punk, Bernazard and Minaya backed up the player. Great chain of command out there at Sh!tifield.

Further, tell me the great talent Bernazard has developed in his 5 years as VP of player development. The last things the Mets' system developed that are worth anything are Wright and Reyes-from Phillips' reign. Everyone else is here for the paycheck. The last time Minaya made a big trade he dealt Grady Sizemore for box of sunflower seeds, so the keen eye for talent and the distinctive ability he and Fighting Tony hava had for developing it seemed to have escaped their tenure here. Unless signing young-uns like Livan Hernandez, Gary Sheffield and Julio "2 year deal"Franco count. In fairness, a lot of that now is from ownership that's probably close to bankrupt practically.

Still, only a fool starts a fight with the media. That's insanely stupid. Bernazard should have been canned longa go for incompetence. Instead he was dumped because he's a tool.

I was only commenting on your Randolph synopsis. You may want him at your tea party, but that does not mean I would want him as a manager.

Yeah, Randolph read Reyes the riot act-how much did he bench him for said indiscretions?

Randolph allowed his clubhouse to be fractured, and then allowed them to face the media alone, as he propped himself in the managers office and watched.

Bugg, you seem to want to comment on the Mets a lot and point out their foibles (fair enough, they are an easy target). But don't then go soft on an ex-Yankee, just because he is that. It makes your rant seem a little agenda based.

Dispicable job by Minaya. Making accusations with no proof against a guy who reported a story that was TRUE.

I've always given Minaya credit where it was due and I don't recall ever trashing the guy. In this situation however, he's dead wrong and the Mets could do themselves a big favor by letting him go.

You can not take on the media in this market- you are bound to get crucified. The best thing to do was just fire Tony B. and not have a press conference-that led to the trouble.

Pick your battles. Know which ones you can win.

The question is, was Minaya put up by the Wilpons to include this in the conference. Minaya did not sound comfortable in coming out with this (but what does he sound comfortable coming out with?) and you wonder what was forced in this conference.

Archived