Kraft responds to Moss' comments that Pats "don't really pay"

Bruce Banner

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/24/kraft-responds-to-moss-comments-that-pats-dont-really-pay/

On Wednesday, Patriots owner Bob Kraft said that he's close to a new deal with defensive tackle Vince Wilfork. Kraft also was asked for the first time about recent comments from receiver Randy Moss, who said that the Patriots "don't really pay."

"OK, let's look at [Moss'] situation," Kraft said at the Westin Hotel in Indianapolis, according to Tom Curran of Comcast Sports Net New England. "In the first two years he made over $20 million. But I think the context . . . look in any of the family businesses we don't just go out and spend money and always try to be the highest spender. We want to win in everything we do. Looking collectively on an aggregate basis, we spend to be competitive. But any of your readership that has run a business knows that just spending wildly doesn't mean you're doing the right thing. You want to spend wisely, you want to spend with the right people."

Kraft then became blunt -- and in his candor he indirectly corrected anyone who thinks that the Colts won the most total games of the last decade, unless playoff games suddenly don't count.

"This is immodest to say but over the last 10 years no football team won more football games than the New England Patriots so I guess we're doing OK," Kraft said. "I know we've committed enough capital to make us competitive and we want to spend it wisely. We went what, 10 years, four Super Bowls. We won more games than anyone so we must be doing something a little right. Just because you spend a lot of money on players doesn't mean you're going to win. Since the turn of the century we've won more games and more championships than 31 other teams. People on the outside can say what they want."

He's got the right attitude, but it's someone on the inside who has recently criticized the team's approach. Though Kraft said he didn't interpret Moss' comments as "anti-Patriot," we still think that Randy's overriding point is simple: "Provide me with a contract that extends beyond 2010, or let me play for someone who will."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/24/kraft-responds-to-moss-comments-that-pats-dont-really-pay/

On Wednesday, Patriots owner Bob Kraft said that he's close to a new deal with defensive tackle Vince Wilfork. Kraft also was asked for the first time about recent comments from receiver Randy Moss, who said that the Patriots "don't really pay."

"OK, let's look at [Moss'] situation," Kraft said at the Westin Hotel in Indianapolis, according to Tom Curran of Comcast Sports Net New England. "In the first two years he made over $20 million. But I think the context . . . look in any of the family businesses we don't just go out and spend money and always try to be the highest spender. We want to win in everything we do. Looking collectively on an aggregate basis, we spend to be competitive. But any of your readership that has run a business knows that just spending wildly doesn't mean you're doing the right thing. You want to spend wisely, you want to spend with the right people."

Kraft then became blunt -- and in his candor he indirectly corrected anyone who thinks that the Colts won the most total games of the last decade, unless playoff games suddenly don't count.

"This is immodest to say but over the last 10 years no football team won more football games than the New England Patriots so I guess we're doing OK," Kraft said. "I know we've committed enough capital to make us competitive and we want to spend it wisely. We went what, 10 years, four Super Bowls. We won more games than anyone so we must be doing something a little right. Just because you spend a lot of money on players doesn't mean you're going to win. Since the turn of the century we've won more games and more championships than 31 other teams. People on the outside can say what they want."

He's got the right attitude, but it's someone on the inside who has recently criticized the team's approach. Though Kraft said he didn't interpret Moss' comments as "anti-Patriot," we still think that Randy's overriding point is simple: "Provide me with a contract that extends beyond 2010, or let me play for someone who will."

I may hate the Pats but I side with them on this one. Spending a ton in FA doesn't guarantee you success and hurts a teams ability to maintain quality depth. They still spend a ton more than Steelers do in FA.

Moss got and AGREED to I believe 2 different contracts with that team? Plus he got to play for a contender. Does he want em' to break the bank on him (at the end of his career no less) and not be able to get better depth on the team?

Kraft may be an arrogant a-hole but he knows how to run his family business imo.

I may hate the Pats but I side with them on this one. Spending a ton in FA doesn't guarantee you success and hurts a teams ability to maintain quality depth.

yea Paul but it DOES make the off-season a lot more interesting on the message boards. Hey I LIKE that the Jets have been spending $$ trying to get back to the SB...I'd kinda like to see another one before I exit this mortal coil.

For the first half of the last decade we Jets fans would sit at our computers and watch big name FA after big name FA get signed or traded away to someone else, while the Jets were getting skinned of a lot of our talent pool (Redskins did it and we also lost our starting CB's to the Texans when they came on board). One thing ya gotta say about Mike Tannenbaum though is he has made it a lot more interesting being a Jets fan since he took over from Bradway.

yea Paul but it DOES make the off-season a lot more interesting on the message boards. Hey I LIKE that the Jets have been spending $$ trying to get back to the SB...I'd kinda like to see another one before I exit this mortal coil.

For the first half of the last decade we Jets fans would sit at our computers and watch big name FA after big name FA get signed or traded away to someone else, while the Jets were getting skinned of a lot of our talent pool (Redskins did it and we also lost our starting CB's to the Texans when they came on board). One thing ya gotta say about Mike Tannenbaum though is he has made it a lot more interesting being a Jets fan since he took over from Bradway.

Tanny has done a fine job with you guys. And i'm not saying that a team can't be active in FA. But if you want a reason as to why you guys are contenders it's because your recent drafts have been panning out moreso than the FA signings imo.

I think many folks under-estimate the bottom third of a teams roster. And i'm gonna use my team as an example here. Coach Whisenhunt has raided our bottom 3rd in recent seasons. And it's hurt Steelers bad in the secondary and ST's.

ST's demons like Chidi Iwouma, (sp?) Sean Morey were great for us before that SOB took em' because he knows our roster. Last off-season he plucked Bryant McFadden from us and it set us back trying to get these new guys up to speed.

I used to pray for the Steelers to go after big name FA's but I think they have been proven right time and again over the years by being patient, trusting their drafts and adding more affordable FA's to the mix.

Tanny has done a fine job with you guys. And i'm not saying that a team can't be active in FA. But if you want a reason as to why you guys are contenders it's because your recent drafts have been panning out moreso than the FA signings imo.

I think many folks under-estimate the bottom third of a teams roster. And i'm gonna use my team as an example here. Coach Whisenhunt has raided our bottom 3rd in recent seasons. And it's hurt Steelers bad in the secondary and ST's.

ST's demons like Chidi Iwouma, (sp?) Sean Morey were great for us before that SOB took em' because he knows our roster. Last off-season he plucked Bryant McFadden from us and it set us back trying to get these new guys up to speed.

I used to pray for the Steelers to go after big name FA's but I think they have been proven right time and again over the years by being patient, trusting their drafts and adding more affordable FA's to the mix.

....and, ya have to get lucky. The Pats got a lifetime's worth of luck in the 6th round with a certain signal caller back in 2000. That guy might have never gotten a shot had it been for a hard sideline shot from Mo Lewis which forced his coach's hand. Granted there were rumblings back then that the QB they had just given a gazillion dollar contract to was falling out of favor and I was shocked when Belichick broke the "you don't lose your job to an injury" code.

You're right too when you say we drafted pretty well the last 4-5 years. Really, who knew Revis would turn out to be the best CB in the game? Then again we have the Curious Case Of Vernon Gholston which has set the franchise back and still leaves a void at pass rusher. Who thought he would be such a monumental all time bust? Hey who was that guy-from-outta-nowhere who won the SB MVP for youse guys a couple of years ago? Like I say, luck is a big factor...wanna give us James Harrison?

....and, ya have to get lucky. The Pats got a lifetime's worth of luck in the 6th round with a certain signal caller back in 2000. That guy might have never gotten a shot had it been for a hard sideline shot from Mo Lewis which forced his coach's hand. Granted there were rumblings back then that the QB they had just given a gazillion dollar contract to was falling out of favor and I was shocked when Belichick broke the "you don't lose your job to an injury" code.

You're right too when you say we drafted pretty well the last 4-5 years. Really, who knew Revis would turn out to be the best CB in the game? Then again we have the Curious Case Of Vernon Gholston which has set the franchise back and still leaves a void at pass rusher. Who thought he would be such a monumental all time bust? Hey who was that guy-from-outta-nowhere who won the SB MVP for youse guys a couple of years ago? Like I say, luck is a big factor...wanna give us James Harrison?

Ha no way i'd part with James Harrison yet.`Although i wouldn't mind us drafting Brandon Graham as his eventual replacement.

Steelers got bigger needs at the moment tho. OL, DT and CB with 2nd RB and ILB to replace Farrior needed soon as well.

This draft is gonne be huge for us imo. MUST hit on at least 2 solid contributors and one HAS to be good cover corner imo.

Ha no way i'd part with James Harrison yet.`Although i wouldn't mind us drafting Brandon Graham as his eventual replacement.

Steelers got bigger needs at the moment tho. OL, DT and CB with 2nd RB and ILB to replace Farrior needed soon as well.

This draft is gonne be huge for us imo. MUST hit on at least 2 solid contributors and one HAS to be good cover corner imo.

I was just thinking about James Farrior too Paul. That was another example of the "typical Jets luck" that we'd been having especially during the 1st half of the last decade. This is a guy we drafted in the first round and he really never did anything for us and then when he went to the Steelers he becomes a pro bowler. Luck-ya gotsta have some.

I was just thinking about James Farrior too Paul. That was another example of the "typical Jets luck" that we'd been having especially during the 1st half of the last decade. This is a guy we drafted in the first round and he really never did anything for us and then when he went to the Steelers he becomes a pro bowler. Luck-ya gotsta have some.

Good coaching helps too. I suspect you guys have that now. I dunno what the book on Farrior was in NY but Steelers staff saw him as a good fit at ILB in the 3-4. TBH he's one of my all time fav's now. Tough blue-collar player fans can identify with. Not to mention he's big on giving back to the community to boot. He really blossomed into a club house leader as well.

So the Patriots want to count playoff wins when it comes to the decade. But they don't want to count them when it comes to who won more games (Jets or Patriots) last season.

That seems fair. Cheaters logic.

Well, Maybe when your team is relevAnt for moRe then one season at a time you can relate. (This post was posted from On High) ;)

Archived