Thinking outside the box on Ducasse

Lupz27

How do you know how Callahan feels about Slauson at this point? He might be a bust and Callahan went to Tannenbaum to tell him "Draft Ducasse, this guy is our LG after we cut Faneca."

All I'm saying is at this point, Slauson is a COMPLETE unknown, based on what I've heard about him (nothing).

I would actually say Ducasse will be the starting LG on opening night, but that is a complete speculative guess.

Easy killer, I didn't say I know what Callahan thinks. I was addressing someone's speculation that Woody was going to be moved to LG. Considering how poorly he played at Guard in DET, I think that' highly unlikely and was stating Slauson was more likely to play guard than Woody. One thing I do know however is Callahan is familiar with Slauson from his days at NEB, and was likely the biggest proponent behind us drafting him in the first place, so chances are he thinks pretty highly of his abilities. And if we're really going to play the "who knows what's completely unknown" game....One thing that truly is COMPLETELY unknown is whether Ducasse can play Guard, seeing as he never has.

No way in hell they're letting D'Brick go in favor of Vlad.

First, DBrick's contract is no where close to expiring. So you think the Jets are cutting DBrick? LOFL.

Second, Vlad was ALWAYS projected by scouts to be either a G or RT. He was never projected to be a LT. Never.

His upside is RT, not LT.

Brick is one of the best LT's in the game what are talking about?

I think he's good, but not elite. But few players are. When he was drafted people were talking about him as if he was going to be the best LT ever (and then many of them quickly turned on him and called him a bust).

I think we should be happy to have him and make sure to keep him around. But I don't look at him and think "that guy is going to be int he Hall of Fame one day".

Re-signing a so-called franchise LT in his prime is a major financial expedature. The Jets have other players to sign, and you had better believe that Rex places a premium on a few of his defenders. Probably at least one of those WR's on the last year of their deal, too.

D'Brick is signed thru 2012, though rumor has it he's interested in a new deal now. Anyone who thinks the Jets aren't weighing their options at the LT position over the next couple years isn't paying attention. Probably thought Leon would be on the roster this year, too.

Will Ducasse be that guy? I have no idea. But I definitely believe that Tanny will be absolutely thrilled if that's what he becomes.

Re-signing a so-called franchise LT in his prime is a major financial expedature. The Jets have other players to sign, and you had better believe that Rex places a premium on a few of his defenders. Probably at least one of those WR's on the last year of their deal, too.

D'Brick is signed thru 2012, though rumor has it he's interested in a new deal now. Anyone who thinks the Jets aren't weighing their options at the LT position over the next couple years isn't paying attention. Probably thought Leon would be on the roster this year, too.

Will Ducasse be that guy? I have no idea. But I definitely believe that Tanny will be absolutely thrilled if that's what he becomes.

Tanny doesn't use a 4th overall pick on a LT and think his replacement is the 61st overall pick from a 1-AA school who never faced top college talent and go exposed in the Senior Bowl when he did.

All the scouting reports (including the Jets according to Tanny) say that Vlad's upside is RT.

What gives you ANY indication that the Jets even remotely consider he can play LT at the pro level?

I think he's good, but not elite. But few players are. When he was drafted people were talking about him as if he was going to be the best LT ever (and then many of them quickly turned on him and called him a bust).

I think we should be happy to have him and make sure to keep him around. But I don't look at him and think "that guy is going to be int he Hall of Fame one day".

It's not obvious a LT will be in the HOF at 26.

If D'Brick keeps doing what he's been doing for the next 10 years...and the Jets actually win stuff...he just might be able to pull off the HOF. The guy is really, really good.

Tanny doesn't use a 4th overall pick on a LT and think his replacement is the 61st overall pick from a 1-AA school who never faced top college talent and go exposed in the Senior Bowl when he did.

All the scouting reports (including the Jets according to Tanny) say that Vlad's upside is RT.

What gives you ANY indication that the Jets even remotely consider he can play LT at the pro level?

All I'm saying is that the Jets will look at all their options before extending D'Brick with franchise LT money. In doing so, Vlad could potentially be part of the mix. He did finish his college career with 35 straight starts at LT.

When Tanny took D'Brick and Mangold, the line was a shambles. Now that it's strong, you can start to replace parts a little more cheaply. Look at the OL's in Indy or NO. They aren't the highest paid OL's at all, but they did drive two of the league's most dominant offensive teams. You don't need a #1 pick at LT, or a guy who commands 10-15% of your salary cap there.

No way in hell they're letting D'Brick go in favor of Vlad.

First, DBrick's contract is no where close to expiring. So you think the Jets are cutting DBrick? LOFL.

Second, Vlad was ALWAYS projected by scouts to be either a G or RT. He was never projected to be a LT. Never.

His upside is RT, not LT.

It's closer to expiring than you think. Closer than "no where close" anyway.

I think they'll get a deal done with D'Brick. But his contract calls for $10M next year and then he's an UFA (franchise tags notwithstanding).

If his agent convinces him to be unreasonable ("I want $14M per season") we'll have to address his replacement with Vlad or someone else.

It's closer to expiring than you think. Closer than "no where close" anyway.

I think they'll get a deal done with D'Brick. But his contract calls for $10M next year and then he's an UFA (franchise tags notwithstanding).

If his agent convinces him to be unreasonable ("I want $14M per season") we'll have to address his replacement with Vlad or someone else.

Vlad is as close to replacing Dbrick as Kyle Wilson is to replacing Revis. that is to say neither will happen... but it could be a back-pocket replacement the Jets never hope they have to use.

There is 0% chance the Jets are letting Ferguson walk. Put down the crack pipe and get help

they drafted Duccase as a replcement at LG and a as a player that should have versatlity to move to other positions on the OL as needed. It was in NO way an indictment on Fergusons future at LT. Good Lord

Vlad is as close to replacing Dbrick as Kyle Wilson is to replacing Revis. that is to say neither will happen... but it could be a back-pocket replacement the Jets never hope they have to use.

I think that's all it is as well. There is no way D'Brick doesn't figure to be in the NYJ's future plans for the next 6+ years unless he demands Manning money.

Also, though the Jets want (and likely will) retain both for years to come, Revis is clearly more of a commodity than D'Brick. Ferguson is one of the best in the game right now. Revis is on his way to being best the game has ever seen. What D'Brick does is outstanding. What Revis does should be impossible. So I don't know if it's quite the same thing. There are a number of tackles that can keep pressure off the QB. There are maybe 2 lockdown corners in the league and the 2nd best is far below Revis. So I understand your comparison but it's not quite that close. Won't matter; we're keeping both.

I'm just saying if Ferguson says he wants $14M per year the Jets find a replacement for him. If Revis wants $14M per year they pay it and thank him for not asking for more.

• 4 weeks later...
I think that's all it is as well. There is no way D'Brick doesn't figure to be in the NYJ's future plans for the next 6+ years unless he demands Manning money.

Also, though the Jets want (and likely will) retain both for years to come, Revis is clearly more of a commodity than D'Brick. Ferguson is one of the best in the game right now. Revis is on his way to being best the game has ever seen. What D'Brick does is outstanding. What Revis does should be impossible. So I don't know if it's quite the same thing. There are a number of tackles that can keep pressure off the QB. There are maybe 2 lockdown corners in the league and the 2nd best is far below Revis. So I understand your comparison but it's not quite that close. Won't matter; we're keeping both.

I'm just saying if Ferguson says he wants $14M per year the Jets find a replacement for him. If Revis wants $14M per year they pay it and thank him for not asking for more.

Exactlly Revis is #1 and Mangold is 1A then I think Harris is 2 and then D'Brick and one of the WR's they decide to sign in that order of importance. D'Brick is a great pass blocking LT but is so so against the run which is the Jets strength and will be as long as Rex and Callahan are here so that will make D'Brick a little less important on our offense, IMHO.

Archived