sharper update and a question...

CoachTsurfing

Darren Sharper is visiting the Jags per espn report. I'm really hoping he waits till we're able to sign fa. My question is, if the top 8 teams had restrictions on signing free agents how did we sign undrafted fa's???
There are no restrictions on them or cut players.

Also I don't think we will be able to just sign Sharper when the restrictions are lifted. There is a provision in there that says his rights would go back to the Saints at that point, and therefore we would have to trade for him.

Darren Sharper is visiting the Jags per espn report. I'm really hoping he waits till we're able to sign fa. My question is, if the top 8 teams had restrictions on signing free agents how did we sign undrafted fa's???

We've been over this several times. If someone was cut that had a contract ( like LT or Adalius Thomas) we CAN sign those players. We got to sign Jason Taylor because we lost one of our own FA's when Feeley signed with the Cards.

There are no restrictions on them or cut players.

Also I don't think we will be able to just sign Sharper when the restrictions are lifted. There is a provision in there that says his rights would go back to the Saints at that point, and therefore we would have to trade for him.

That's a different twist to it. It doesn't seem fair to the player. If he's a FA he should be free ,period.

We've been over this several times. If someone was cut that had a contract ( like LT or Adalius Thomas) we CAN sign those players. We got to sign Jason Taylor because we lost one of our own FA's when Feeley signed with the Cards.
He was actually asking about "undrafted fa's" there are no restictions on them.

That's a different twist to it. It doesn't seem fair to the player. If he's a FA he should be free ,period.

The way it works is that the former team has to tender the free agent a contract for 110% of what he agreed to play for in the previous season. In Sharpers case its about 1.9 million. In Brunells case its around 2 million. So it guarantees the players a raise and a place to play football for the next season. If they dont tender the offer by June 1 then the player is free to go anywhere for any amount of money.

The way it works is that the former team has to tender the free agent a contract for 110% of what he agreed to play for in the previous season. In Sharpers case its about 1.9 million. In Brunells case its around 2 million. So it guarantees the players a raise and a place to play football for the next season. If they dont tender the offer by June 1 then the player is free to go anywhere for any amount of money.
Correct, now if the Saints have not tendered him already, is there any doubt they will do so by June 1st?

It doesn't seem fair to the player.

Fair? Of course it isn't. The owners would never have allowed the uncapped year to happen if it was going to be fair to the players, and the union had no idea that it was going to be so disadvantageous because Upshaw smeared the fine print when he used his copy of the CBA to wipe his mouth after Goodell finished.

I am aware of the sharper situation. i just wanted to know why the difference was between fa and udfa. i just hope sharper waits for us.
There are restictions on FA's, there are no restictions on UDFA's.

If Sharper waits for us, we'll probably going to have to trade for him.

I am aware of the sharper situation. i just wanted to know why the difference was between fa and udfa. i just hope sharper waits for us.

Sharper would also have to hope that NO doesn't tender him in order to come to the Jets.

If he gets an offer from Jacksonville (or any other non-Final 8 team) in excess of $2m, I can't see him passing on it... that is, unless he really wants to play for either the Saints or Jets.

Sharper would also have to hope that NO doesn't tender him in order to come to the Jets.

If he gets an offer from Jacksonville (or any other non-Final 8 team) in excess of $2m, I can't see him passing on it... that is, unless he really wants to play for either the Saints or Jets.

He has said he thinks we (The JETS) are one free saftey away from going to the Superbowl, so we do have that going for us.

Click here and seach Sharper: http://www.tmz.com/videos?autoplay=t...b-89ac9f179d2c

Yes.

More than the tender or they wouldn't have bothered.

There is no reason to think they will not tender him on June 1st then.

So why do so many people keep assuming we are just going to be able to sign him once the restrictions are over?

we can still get him, if he makes it clear he wants to come to us and has no interest in n.o. then we give up a later round pick next year instead of n.o. letting him go elsewhere, especially to the cowboys/nfc

We can't trade for Sharper right now. The rules for UFAs apply to trades too (to avoid sign/trades).

Sharper will almost surely be tendered on 6/1 by the Saints, removing him from having a chance to sign here.

UDFA are different from UFAs. Similar to how we'd be able to sign non tendered RFAs and also UFAs who were not on a team at all last year.

OK, so on June 1st is there any reason to think they will not tender him for $1.9 mill?

None I can think of. In an uncapped year in particular, that's like backup money. So I think they'll tender him then unless they somehow feel, on May 31st, that they have 3+ safeties on the roster better than Darren Sharper.

None I can think of. In an uncapped year in particular, that's like backup money. So I think they'll tender him then unless they somehow feel, on May 31st, that they have 3+ safeties on the roster better than Darren Sharper.

From what I heard, NO has an offer on the table for Sharper. Something tells me it's for more than 1.9M per. If that's the case, he'd just sign it on 5/31 unless he thinks 1 more good season and he can make a boatload.

He has said he thinks we (The JETS) are one free saftey away from going to the Superbowl, so we do have that going for us.

Click here and seach Sharper: http://www.tmz.com/videos?autoplay=t...b-89ac9f179d2c

I know what he said, but that is meaningless, as he doesn't have much say with regards to the Jets at this point. His options are as follows:

- Accept the Saints current offer, which is likely > $2m per

- Accept another offer from a non-Final 8 team before 6/1

- Decline to sign with any non-F8 team and be tendered at ~$1.9m by the Saints

- On the <1% chance the Saints non-tender him, sign with the Jets for an amount that could be less than the tender

I don't like the odds of that happening either. Maybe you guys should just sticky a thread saying. We're not going to be able to sign Sharper. ;)

I know what he said, but that is meaningless, as he doesn't have much say with regards to the Jets at this point. His options are as follows:

- Accept the Saints current offer, which is likely > $2m per

- Accept another offer from a non-Final 8 team before 6/1

- Decline to sign with any non-F8 team and be tendered at ~$1.9m by the Saints

- On the <1% chance the Saints non-tender him, sign with the Jets for an amount that could be less than the tender

I know, I have been saying that for weeks now, but it seems that every other day, someone comes up with this notion that we are going to be able to sign this guy if he holds on.

Archived