Jets have Sent Proposal For New Contract To Revis

flgreen

Jets have sent proposal for new contract to Darrelle Revis

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

May 20, 2010, 3:15PM

revisjpg-c9c28e9e462c78b7_large.jpgWilliam Perlman/The Star-LedgerRevis has talked with coach Rex Ryan and GM Mike Tannenbaum and feels good about the contract negotiations.Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis said last week that talks were underway between the team and his agents for a new contract. Well, today he said that the Jets sent over a proposal for the new deal last week.

"They sent the proposal over, so we're going to look at that then go from there," Revis said after the Jets' third OTAs session today. "If everything

The pain was caused by Mangini being the prick that he is.

More just his arrogance in thinking that one playoff appearance and loss in the 1st round AT New England would allow him to act in the same way as his mentor in NE who had won 3 Super Bowls and had 7 consecutive winning seasons heading into that year.

I dont understand why we are redoing ANY contracts until the NFL and the Players hammer out a new deal. The cap for 2009 was 127Million. The owners want an 18 percent cut. As much as I love Revis, I can't see tying up 10% plus in one player unless it's a franchise QB.

it's kinda cool he's being very open with the media, but I think he really should just keep it to himself

next thing you know he's going to be using the media to get more scratch

Rex is unique in many ways, one of them being how he ENCOURAGES his players to be open with the media and fans.

Its consistent with his attitude about football. And thats that football is a game that is supposed to be fun. He wants to have fun, he wants his players to have fun, he wants his fellow coaches to have fun, he wants the reporters to have fun, and he wants the fans to have fun. Basically, its very clear that he wants people to stop treating the football season as some type of CIA operation but instead the way we all viewed it when we first started playing/watching/coaching/writing about the team and sport we loved.

He takes pride in the fact that football is just a game and that attitude, in just one year, has been adapted by not only the rest of his coaching staff, but all the players, fans, and even the media as well.

Rex Ryan is quite an impressive individual, regardless of how good of a football coach he is. To get not only an entire team, but all of its fanbase to buy into his mantra, in just one year, is quite indicative of that fact.

Al Davis is killing us but still Revis is right, he should be the highest paid at his position and you can't blame him for demanding that much.

Seeing as we have him locked up for I believe 3 years (?) I think the contract we offer will be a long one. Make this guy a career Jet because he is that ****ing good.

Al Davis is killing us but still Revis is right, he should be the highest paid at his position and you can't blame him for demanding that much.

Seeing as we have him locked up for I believe 3 years (?) I think the contract we offer will be a long one. Make this guy a career Jet because he is that ****ing good.

Its going to be a weird contract, I have a feeling. Some things will most definitely still need to be worked out. For example, I cant imagine the Jets offered a huge, bank-breaking contract to a CB (regardless of how good he is...we still have 2 other #1 CBs on the roster) with all the uncertainty surrounding the CBA. My guess is that there has to be a ton of money tied up in incentives and team salary percentages (maybe a clause saying after the new CBA kicks in, he will have a higher % of team salary tied up in him than the 2nd highest paid corner??). Not sure if thats possible or allowed....But with the CBA expiring and with the FO having a lot of other players to re-sign (Holmes, Edwards, Cromartie, the four rookies, Harris, Ferguson, and Mangold) I can't imagine Tanny and Co. are willingly going to tie up so much money at the corner position when we have 2 capable #1 corners in Cro and Wilson on the team right behind him.

If we bought back his last two years and franchised him for 2 more we would have him for 5 years at about 50 million. Seems fair to me.

Dont think he'd agree to that. Thats only 10 per...Not nearly enough. He may get a base contract of about 50 mil without any incentives or other bonuses... But his total contract will be averaging about 15 per.

If we bought back his last two years and franchised him for 2 more we would have him for 5 years at about 50 million. Seems fair to me.

He has a no Franchise clause in his current contract if the Jets buy the last two years

Dont think he'd agree to that. Thats only 10 per...Not nearly enough. He may get a base contract of about 50 mil without any incentives or other bonuses... But his total contract will be averaging about 15 per.

That's the beauty of the "Franchise Tag". He doesn't have to like it or agree to it. But redoing any deal until a new CBA is worked out is just asinine.

He has a no Franchise clause in his current contract if the Jets buy the last two years

Wow, if thats true his agent did a nice job. I just pulled up details here they are:

[*]It includes $11 million in guarantees.

[*]The first four years are worth a total of $16 million.

[*]The deal voids after four years if Revis hits 35% playing time in the first year or 45% in any of the next three years.

[*]If it voids, the Jets have the option of buying back the fifth and sixth years. The fifth year would cost $5 million. The sixth year would cost $9 million or $11 million or $13 million or $15 million, depending on a complicated points system.

[*]If it voids after the fourth year, the Jets can

Rex is unique in many ways, one of them being how he ENCOURAGES his players to be open with the media and fans.

Its consistent with his attitude about football. And thats that football is a game that is supposed to be fun. He wants to have fun, he wants his players to have fun, he wants his fellow coaches to have fun, he wants the reporters to have fun, and he wants the fans to have fun. Basically, its very clear that he wants people to stop treating the football season as some type of CIA operation but instead the way we all viewed it when we first started playing/watching/coaching/writing about the team and sport we loved.

He takes pride in the fact that football is just a game and that attitude, in just one year, has been adapted by not only the rest of his coaching staff, but all the players, fans, and even the media as well.

Rex Ryan is quite an impressive individual, regardless of how good of a football coach he is. To get not only an entire team, but all of its fanbase to buy into his mantra, in just one year, is quite indicative of that fact.

cool

check in with me when revis says the dollars aren't there and he's being disrespected

I pray that he continues to play at this insane level AND retire a jet! :penguin:

Maybe I'm being naive but he seems to be a player. Of course he wants to get paid but I think the guy also wants to be the best ever. I do. Nice to have those types on the team.

I pray that he continues to play at this insane level AND retire a jet! :penguin:

Revis is a special player, it's been obvious since his rookie season. He's been accused of being greedy before but what he's demanding right now is very understandable. If we can lock him up into his 30's (CRAZY to think he's 24, really) then I don't think there's a question that he'll sustain this level of play. He's an ambitious guy, even early in his career he talked about being the best someday. He now is that at 24 years old.

I think this guy knows he has a chance to be one of the best if not the best to ever play. The fact that he's accomplished so much so early shows how determined he is to play at the highest level he possibly can.

Revis is a special player, it's been obvious since his rookie season. He's been accused of being greedy before but what he's demanding right now is very understandable. If we can lock him up into his 30's (CRAZY to think he's 24, really) then I don't think there's a question that he'll sustain this level of play. He's an ambitious guy, even early in his career he talked about being the best someday. He now is that at 24 years old.

I think this guy knows he has a chance to be one of the best if not the best to ever play. The fact that he's accomplished so much so early shows how determined he is to play at the highest level he possibly can.

I agree. I remember when I said that IMO Revis was having arguably the best season any CB in the league has ever had. Of course you know what I was hit with...but as soon as Rex said it then all of a sudden it was acceptable.

I think Revis is on Defense what Peyton Manning is on offense. It's still so shocking that he's a JET! Usually we just get the Vernon Gholstons and thats it you know lol.

Archived