Pass Rush

Maxman

Is Jason Taylor and Bart Scott for a full season enough to make a difference? Last year the Jets only got a pass rush by being creative and through blitzes. It was rare that they didn't blitz and were effective.

Vernon at End...I wonder if he is going to hurt or help the pass rush. The Def Line looks good as far as stopping the run is concerned. But is this going to be a send 7 or 8 every play kind of team?

is it the spirit of mark gastineau that drives Jets fans to be concerned about the pass rush?

for the record the pass rush was ok last year. not great, not terrible... actually middle of the league in sacks

they lost no one and added a few guys so they will probably still be ok with the potential to be good.

they got good pressure, even if it didn't result in "sack" stats

if you want something to worry about i'd suggest the 2nd year QB, who led the team to a 31st ranked passing attack as a rookie. Holmes is suspended for 4 games and BE was part of the terrible passing last year.

Or perhaps the rookie OG replacing Faneca from UMass?

Long story short... the offense concerns me not the defense.

Is Jason Taylor and Bart Scott for a full season enough to make a difference? Last year the Jets only got a pass rush by being creative and through blitzes. It was rare that they didn't blitz and were effective.

Vernon at End...I wonder if he is going to hurt or help the pass rush. The Def Line looks good as far as stopping the run is concerned. But is this going to be a send 7 or 8 every play kind of team?

With the addition of Cromartie and Wilson we will have a free pass rusher on almost any and every passing situation where we want to go man in coverage.

is it the spirit of mark gastineau that drives Jets fans to be concerned about the pass rush?

for the record the pass rush was ok last year. not great, not terrible... actually middle of the league in sacks

they lost no one and added a few guys so they will probably still be ok with the potential to be good.

they got good pressure, even if it didn't result in "sack" stats

if you want something to worry about i'd suggest the 2nd year QB, who led the team to a 31st ranked passing attack as a rookie. Holmes is suspended for 4 games and BE was part of the terrible passing last year.

Or perhaps the rookie OG replacing Faneca from UMass?

Long story short... the offense concerns me not the defense.

Wouldn't say I am worried about it. More like wondering if Taylor has enough left to make it better.

The defense was great last year and this part was average. They improved the secondary imo and if this area (pass rush) improves it it going to take even more pressure off the offense.

Agree though, they have to run the ball well and Sanchez needs to step up. Those are big concerns. But you can start your own thread, lol.

Wouldn't say I am worried about it. More like wondering if Taylor has enough left to make it better.

The defense was great last year and this part was average. They improved the secondary imo and if this area (pass rush) improves it it going to take even more pressure off the offense.

Agree though, they have to run the ball well and Sanchez needs to step up. Those are big concerns. But you can start your own thread, lol.

The addition of Cromartie is going to have the biggest impact on our pass rush.

The ability to lock him and Revis on a teams top two receivers one on one will create a ridiculous amount of flexibility for Ryan and Pettine in the blitz schemes. The mismatches this will create for us the Jets to take advantage of will lead to about 10 more sacks, not to mention the liklihood of about 7-10 more coverage sacks on the season. I'd expect this team to end up with 50+ sacks this season.

But more importantly, they will lead the NFL in passer effiency rating allowed and third down conversions allowed like they did last year, both of which are probably more effective measurements of the pass rush as a whole than sacks.

The truth is, there was nothing wrong with our pass rush last year. The numbers prove it.

Meh, everyone looks at the sack numbers to define if a team has a solid pass rush, but there is so much more to it.

With a D like the Jets, every QB knows it coming. Its expected and the 2nd the ball is snapped, they are looking to get rid of it immediately. Therefore, we tend force more bad throws pressuring the QB instead of actually getting the sack.

Our pass rush was fine. To answer you question though Maxipad, yeah, I think JT is going to be a beast in the pass rush. He's still pretty quick and has great footwork. With all the stunts and rushes we do to the inside following Scott or Harris...we didnt have the guy with closing speed to actually get to the QB before he got rid or the ball. With a healthy Jenkins and Cro/Wilson in the secondary, I expect our sack numbers to go up, but nothing eye popping. Teams know Rex is coming with it and they prepare for it with quick drops.

The addition of Cromartie is going to have the biggest impact on our pass rush.

The ability to lock him and Revis on a teams top two receivers one on one will create a ridiculous amount of flexibility for Ryan and Pettine in the blitz schemes. The mismatches this will create for us the Jets to take advantage of will lead to about 10 more sacks, not to mention the liklihood of about 7-10 more coverage sacks on the season. I'd expect this team to end up with 50+ sacks this season.

But more importantly, they will lead the NFL in passer effiency rating allowed and third down conversions allowed like they did last year, both of which are probably more effective measurements of the pass rush as a whole than sacks.

The truth is, there was nothing wrong with our pass rush last year. The numbers prove it.

I agree Kleck, just another half second in coverage will give us another 10-15 sacks

I agree that Cro and Wilson will improve our bility to get to the QB. But our pass rush was not good last year. the numbers dont reflect the fact that Revis owned half the field and the #1 reciever every game. Our sacks were due in large part to coverage. The AFC Championship game would have been a differnt story if we'd been able to get to Manning quickly. We weren't and he ate us alive. If Big Jenks stays healthy, he's a huge upgrade in pass rush as he collapses the middle like no other interior lineman in the league. Still, a speedy D-End would do wonders against some of the elite passing teams. VG will have a chance to lay his ears back this season. Lets cross our fingers that he finds his niche.

Meh, everyone looks at the sack numbers to define if a team has a solid pass rush, but there is so much more to it.

With a D like the Jets, every QB knows it coming. Its expected and the 2nd the ball is snapped, they are looking to get rid of it immediately. Therefore, we tend force more bad throws pressuring the QB instead of actually getting the sack.

This. We had the best pass defense in the league with Kerry Rhodes, Lito Sheppard, and Dwight Lowery tripping over each other in the secondary and people are complaining about the rush? Seriously?

For a while under Magini in 2008 we were one of the NFL's leaders in sacks. Yet our defense sucked. Now, we're the # 1 defense despite putting up poor sack figures. I'm not worried about the pass rush.

What concerns me more is that Max is succeeding lately at making quality football posts, a rarity in the past. What gives?

Archived