Diva Revis could hold out past August 10

Vudu

While I agree Revis is a rare talent at CB he is JUST a CB.. Going into the 02 season for Cap reasons we unloaded our starting CB's Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman to the Texans and went into the season with Aaron Beasley and Donnie Abraham.. We won the east and in the playoffs shut out Peyton Mannings Colts 41-0 in the first rd of the playoffs.. Knowing how important Revis is to a team had he been on those Jets would the Colts have had negative points instead of just none??? :hand:

Ironically enough, with Revis the Jets simply got pounded and couldn't stop him at all.

Amusing also that the Saints made those important stops and actually sealed the game by returning an INT for a TD. The great Revis was unable to make such a play. And I don't want to hear anything about the Saints having a better pass rush or anything, because they certainly were not harassing him.

And while the offense wasn't doing much the second half, the Jets O still put up 17 points I believe in the first half. The 85 Bears or the 2000 Ravens or hell even the what was it, 2006 Bears (forgot the year for them) would have sealed that down. Because they were true great shut down defenses.

I think the Jets D is definitely the top D in the league, but they are clearly not an all time great D like they want to pretend they are. Deion Sanders wouldn't have let Peyton throw anywhere NEAR his side of the field. Deion also didn't try and destroy the entire team even though he was the best for a number of years, rather than arguably the best for just 1, on a 9-7 team, that only made the conference finals.

Revis should try to get whatever he can get, it's his life, his career, his money at stake. But I would trade him for a pass rusher in a heart beat, especially if I could get a draft pick in return by inflating Revis' value. If I was Tannenbaum and the Cowboys called me up and said "we'll give you Ware and our 1st pick next year" I'd pretend it's a tough decision, then take it and laugh my ass off. I'd try to weasel a 2nd too if I could. I'd probably even try to unload Gholston and get even more, because I'd think Jerry Jones was a true retard for offering it.

An elite pass rusher is way better than an elite CB. Look at the ****ty Raiders, they've had Namdi for years and he's been the best for years, and their defenses are actually pretty solid overall, but they still get killed all the time and SUCK!

When's the last time a top corner won a SB? How many championships does Champ Bailey have? He was THE GUY before Revis and Namdi. Hell in 2006 the dude didn't even give up a TD and had 10 INTs. People want to pretend there were no good CBs before Revis and Namdi or something.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe, but Cro was never that good. Even when he was making great plays he was always giving up just as many.

Revis is a different class of CB to anyone on this roster and probably to anyone in the league. With him Ryan doesn't need to seriously upgrade the pass rush as Revis effectively gives him an extra man. He'll stay, he's here for a while anyway, under his contract if needs be but believe me Ryan wont let him walk.

Revis will never walk, but he could be dealt after 2010, depending.

I still put Nnamdi on the same level as Revis. The problem for Nnamdi is the Raiders just stick him on one side of the field and leave him there, unlike the Jets who move Revis all over the field to keep him on the teams #1 WR 95+% of the time. Nnamdi isn't moved, so teams can game plan to move their #1 WR to the other side of the field now. Its ridiculous that Oakland doesn't move him.

Rex Ryan's Top 4 corners in 2008, when he helped John Harbaugh lead the Baltimore Ravens to the AFC Championship Game.

1. Fabian Washington (a former 1st round mini-bust)

2. Samari Rolle (who was past his prime at this point)

3. Corey Ivy

4. Chris McAlister (who also was past his prime at this point)

I'm just saying, I think Rex could make do if he had to with:

1. Antonio Cromartie

2. Kyle Wilson

3. Dwight Lowery

4. Marquice Cole / Drew Coleman

Agreed. Rex knows how to scheme to make up for weaknesses...losing Revis wouldnt be the worst thing to happen to this defense...losing Rex on the otherhand and we are back to middle of the pack.

Rex is that good.

Ironically enough, with Revis the Jets simply got pounded and couldn't stop him at all.

Amusing also that the Saints made those important stops and actually sealed the game by returning an INT for a TD. The great Revis was unable to make such a play. And I don't want to hear anything about the Saints having a better pass rush or anything, because they certainly were not harassing him.

And while the offense wasn't doing much the second half, the Jets O still put up 17 points I believe in the first half. The 85 Bears or the 2000 Ravens or hell even the what was it, 2006 Bears (forgot the year for them) would have sealed that down. Because they were true great shut down defenses.

I think the Jets D is definitely the top D in the league, but they are clearly not an all time great D like they want to pretend they are. Deion Sanders wouldn't have let Peyton throw anywhere NEAR his side of the field. Deion also didn't try and destroy the entire team even though he was the best for a number of years, rather than arguably the best for just 1, on a 9-7 team, that only made the conference finals.

Revis should try to get whatever he can get, it's his life, his career, his money at stake. But I would trade him for a pass rusher in a heart beat, especially if I could get a draft pick in return by inflating Revis' value. If I was Tannenbaum and the Cowboys called me up and said "we'll give you Ware and our 1st pick next year" I'd pretend it's a tough decision, then take it and laugh my ass off. I'd try to weasel a 2nd too if I could. I'd probably even try to unload Gholston and get even more, because I'd think Jerry Jones was a true retard for offering it.

An elite pass rusher is way better than an elite CB. Look at the ****ty Raiders, they've had Namdi for years and he's been the best for years, and their defenses are actually pretty solid overall, but they still get killed all the time and SUCK!

When's the last time a top corner won a SB? How many championships does Champ Bailey have? He was THE GUY before Revis and Namdi. Hell in 2006 the dude didn't even give up a TD and had 10 INTs. People want to pretend there were no good CBs before Revis and Namdi or something.

Great post. Thats why I laugh at people who are already calling him the GOAT, hands down best defender in the league. I'd unload him for quite a few defenders straight up easily who have been doing what they've been doing for years with multiple coaches, not just 1 year with the best defensive mind in the league....you throw in picks too and its no brainer.

Revis is a great player. But his greatness really did nothing for the Jets other than help us get to the #1 category in a couple of spots as a team defense. 9-7, didnt win the division, got smoked in the air in the conference finals...its astonishing a guy thats really accomplished nothing in the league other than a couple of probowls thinks he deserves the money he's asking for....win something Revis, then talk to me...he had the greatest season ever as a DB :hand:...dude didnt even win the DPOY award.

Sometimes Florio is pretty good with this contract stuff, sometimes he just likes to be provocative and scary. I hope he's just being the latter here (feel free to jump to the bold):

No decision has been made on Revis holdout

Posted by Mike Florio on July 10, 2010 7:55 PM ET

Conflicting reports recently have emerged regarding the question of whether Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis will hold out of training camp in the wake of a contract given to left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson that initially looked to be pretty, pretty good (thanks to the info leaked by his agent) to pretty, pretty mediocre.

A source close to Revis tells us unequivocally that no decision has been made.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News recently reported that Revis is "fully prepared" to hold out beyond August 10, the day on which he would forfeit a year's credit toward free agency. And while Revis may indeed be "fully prepared" to hold out, no decision has been made.

Mike Lombardi of NFL Network reported on Friday night that Revis will show up on Day One of camp, due to the fact that a holdout (as we pointed out several weeks ago) would result in $20 million in guaranteed money that Revis is due to earn in 2011 and 2012 becoming not guaranteed.

Said the source close to Revis, "I don't know where Lombardi got that. No decision has been made."

Moreover, Revis continues to have a possible ace in the hole. As we explained last month, some league insiders believe that, after Revis elects to pull the plug after the fourth season of his current deal (which his rookie contract gives him the right to do), the Jets will attempt to buy back the final two years at base salaries of $5 million in 2011 and $15 million in 2012 -- and the league will find that the effort violates the 30-percent rule.

It's still unclear why the Revis contract initially was approved if the last two years will be deemed to run afoul of the 30-percent rule. But if the NFL ultimately scuttles years five and six, Revis would become a free agent, and it's possible that the precise language of his contract prevents not only the use of the franchise tag (it does) but also the use of one of the restricted free agency tenders (it's unclear whether it does).

Meanwhile, regardless of how this all turns out, Revis has yet to determine his next move. Given that his uncle, Sean Gilbert, once sat out for an entire season, it's impossible to rule out a holdout at this point.

From the comments:

aec4 says:

July 10, 2010 9:06 PM

Contract will be grandfathered in.

Hope you're right! :mrgreen:

I'd like to hear from Jason on this one.

The league can't void the 5th and 6th years. You can't say some elements of the contract, proposed by the Jets back in '07, are to be enforced and other parts not.

The Jets never would have offered Revis - a mid first round pick they traded up for - a 4 year deal without the buyback opportunity. To treat the contract as one the Jets never would have offered in a thousand years is hardly reasonable. It is further compounded by the league approving the contract at the time. They can't now say, "Whoops, we shouldn't have approved it. You no longer have your player under contract. Sorry 'bout that. Our bad."

The ink was dried on that contract 4 years ago. Total non-issue and Foolio ought to know that.

I fully support Revis doing anything he can to make however much he can.

If he were to suffer a career ending injury this year, he'd make his final $1M and that would be it for him for the rest of his life.

The Jets have the option not to concede to his demands. That's their right. If he holds out, he doesn't get paid - and does get fined. But it's his only recourse.

If he were my client, or my family member, I'd tell him that I think he's better off holding out for this entire season rather than take the chance that his career will be over before he has a chance to cash in as one of the best defensive football players in the history of the game.

A guy who is in his early 20's with a college degree, national fame and has earned about 20 million has no earning power out of football for the rest of his life. Interesting argument for holding out.

Why would the Jets front load him a deal this year with no cap and risk Revis holding out later on when his salary drops again? Wouldn't your same argument still hold if he got an effective huge bonus this year and was underpaid in some future year?

It's risky for the Jets to throw money around now without knowing the consequences of their future cap situation, particularly at a position where they currently could be in very strong shape with or without Revis?

Throwing large upfront money at a player because they can hold out now will put the Jets in the exact same position with Revis down the road.

Tannenbaum has done a good job front loading deals to keep from having to much dead cap money in out years. That stradegy can't work with players who have shown that their signature on a contract means very little. Thomas Jones is a perfect example of that.

A guy who is in his early 20's with a college degree, national fame and has earned about 20 million has no earning power out of football for the rest of his life. Interesting argument for holding out.

Why would the Jets front load him a deal this year with no cap and risk Revis holding out later on when his salary drops again? Wouldn't your same argument still hold if he got an effective huge bonus this year and was underpaid in some future year?

It's risky for the Jets to throw money around now without knowing the consequences of their future cap situation, particularly at a position where they currently could be in very strong shape with or without Revis?

Throwing large upfront money at a player because they can hold out now will put the Jets in the exact same position with Revis down the road.

Tannenbaum has done a good job front loading deals to keep from having to much dead cap money in out years. That stradegy can't work with players who have shown that their signature on a contract means very little. Thomas Jones is a perfect example of that.

This is actually a great point that has really been often ignored. Revis wants big money and he wants it now, but the Jets have every incentive in the world to backload any contract offer. Look what not doing that got them this time, they signed Revis to a much bigger deal than he should have got in his slot and as soon as we hit the one year of the contract that was built in for the Jets to get a good, cheap deal on he immediately holds out. The Jets need to build the contract in a way that keeps Revis from having any incentive to do this again, which means less money now, and he's only got himself to blame for that.

This is actually a great point that has really been often ignored. Revis wants big money and he wants it now, but the Jets have every incentive in the world to backload any contract offer. Look what not doing that got them this time, they signed Revis to a much bigger deal than he should have got in his slot and as soon as we hit the one year of the contract that was built in for the Jets to get a good, cheap deal on he immediately holds out. The Jets need to build the contract in a way that keeps Revis from having any incentive to do this again, which means less money now, and he's only got himself to blame for that.

The agent and the player are fully aware when they sign a deal that the structure of upfront money and a low salary out year are designed in for cap purposes. To use that structure to hold out when the contract was agreed to by the agent, team and player is not only a breech of contract it is unethical. I would never agree to giving a player a high upfront bonus to compensate them for lower salary out years once they have shown their word is meaningless.

The only thing that will be guaranteed if Revis is given a huge upfront bonus now for lower compensation later is that if Revis is healthy and playing well, he will threaten to hold out.

pretty much. people get on their high horse saying "he needs to protect himself" but in so doing they pretty much admit that they assume these players are complete morons who can't add 2 and 2 away from the football field.

Archived