Diva Revis could hold out past August 10

Vudu

If I were the Jets, I would tell Revis that if he sits out, that will end any and all negotiations for 4 the 4 remaining years. He signed a contract, he has to live up to it. If not, I HIGHLY doubt he would sit out for 4 years.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darrelle Revis needs to get paid. However, the amount he's asking for is compltely ludicrous. Just because one stupid owner pays his CB tremendous amount of money, doesn't neccecary mean we have to stupid like him.

Darrelle Revis is being very selfish. He's probably my favorite player on the team to be honest, but this is getting outta hand. He can't win this battle and he needs to realize it.

Again I have to agree.

There is no way the Jets are paying Revis 16 million. Not guaranteed at least. If he is willing to take a very low guaranteed contract, then the Jets might talk.

If the guy is smart he will get a contract done before camp opens. The Jets said they had budgeted enough to pay all four guys. Mangold will probably be next if he is going to be reasonable. Revis should get something done while there is still money in the budget.

Again I have to agree.

There is no way the Jets are paying Revis 16 million. Not guaranteed at least. If he is willing to take a very low guaranteed contract, then the Jets might talk.

If the guy is smart he will get a contract done before camp opens. The Jets said they had budgeted enough to pay all four guys. Mangold will probably be next if he is going to be reasonable. Revis should get something done while there is still money in the budget.

To the contrary. I think it'll be smart for the Jets to pay this guy and not make him sit out for the year. Revis is too important to the structure of that #1 defense. Its arguable that the reason WHY our defense was #1 was because of Revis. If the Jets are talking SB (as we can see with the Cromartie, LT signings and Holmes trade) they will need to have Revis on the field.

Revis is willing to gamble that gauranteed 20 million and hold out knowing that the Jets chances of an actual superbowl mostly rest on his shoulders. The Jets should not have told Revis that they wanted to make him a Jet for life and they wanted to sign him long term, ESPECIALLY with the other signings that they had to deal with. Revis is forcing their hand now.

Again I have to agree.

From what I have heard Revis is willing to take slightly less than Aso, like 12 mill a year but he wants the majority of the contract to be guaranteed, its not the money that is the problem between the 2 sides its the amount of guaranteed money in the deal.

And if his god father or uncle or whatever he is to Revis, I forget his name right now is in his ear at all he will hold out the whole year and then some if needed cause thats what his god father or uncle or whatever he is to Revis did to the Lions and forced a trade the following year, this will get ugly real ugly.

From what I have heard Revis is willing to take slightly less than Aso, like 12 mill a year but he wants the majority of the contract to be guaranteed, its not the money that is the problem between the 2 sides its the amount of guaranteed money in the deal.

And if his god father or uncle or whatever he is to Revis, I forget his name right now is in his ear at all he will hold out the whole year and then some if needed cause thats what his god father or uncle or whatever he is to Revis did to the Lions and forced a trade the following year, this will get ugly real ugly.

So we don't trade him, and he rots for 4 years, sounds like he's getting great advice.

Keep listening to ex Lions Darrelle!

To the contrary. I think it'll be smart for the Jets to pay this guy and not make him sit out for the year. Revis is too important to the structure of that #1 defense. Its arguable that the reason WHY our defense was #1 was because of Revis. If the Jets are talking SB (as we can see with the Cromartie, LT signings and Holmes trade) they will need to have Revis on the field.

Revis is willing to gamble that gauranteed 20 million and hold out knowing that the Jets chances of an actual superbowl mostly rest on his shoulders. The Jets should not have told Revis that they wanted to make him a Jet for life and they wanted to sign him long term, ESPECIALLY with the other signings that they had to deal with. Revis is forcing their hand now.

We can think what ever we want, but one thing I am sure of, the Jets are not going to pay Revis 16 million with a big guaranteed number. No body in the league is right now. There have been very few big numbered contracts given out this year. To the point that the NFLPA is talking about filing a collusion suite.

Nobody is going to pay him right now, so there will be no trade. The CBA is just to unsettled at the moment. It would be like writing a huge check with out knowing how much money you have in the bank.

Fans can write off the fact that the owners are looking for a reduction, but the owners are sure acting like they mean it.

It

It's kind of funny how over in the NBA, Lebron, Wade and Bosh all catch heat for taking less money to build a winning team. People are whining that these guys are "selfish" because they took less money to win. Usually athletes are full of **** and only care about the money, these 3 don't care as much about the money as they want to win championships (they look like a dynasty on paper already).

On the Jets however, we got a bunch of clowns that all want to break the bank. Revis has done it for 1 year and couldn't even get the Jets to the SB, the entire team managed 9-7 and then had fluke playoff wins, but they all think they are champions and want to get paid right away. Even the dudes with 3 years left on their contracts.

Only the Jets!

you know what, I could care less about this kind of crap anymore. Look, Revis held out after we drafted him and still was the OD starter at CB. Who knows maybe he wants to make a big splash like Larry Johnson did a couple of years ago on Hard Knocks-whatever-he'll be there on opening day guys and he'll BE a Jet his entire career

Its hard to argue with this. Especially with what came out about Chris Henry.

I'd do the same thing if I were Revis.

If you were really worried about a career ending injury - why not sign a "Jets friendly" deal? Instead he is holding out for a massive deal. Cant have it both ways....

revis aint going nowhere..not for 3 or 4 years unless mike t says so.revis has no leverage.what is he going to do?hold out the entire year?guess what?when 2011 rolls around,the jets still have him under contract.for only 5m per.will he hold out the second year?i doubt it.it would be a career killer.i beleive he will be offered a contract averaging between 10 and 12m per with a respectable amount of guaranteed dough.the jets will offer revis a contract making him the highest paid db in the league,not playing in oakland.he will sign this contract after a training camp holdout.

We can think what ever we want, but one thing I am sure of, the Jets are not going to pay Revis 16 million with a big guaranteed number. No body in the league is right now. There have been very few big numbered contracts given out this year. To the point that the NFLPA is talking about filing a collusion suite.

Nobody is going to pay him right now, so there will be no trade. The CBA is just to unsettled at the moment. It would be like writing a huge check with out knowing how much money you have in the bank.

Fans can write off the fact that the owners are looking for a reduction, but the owners are sure acting like they mean it.

It’s easy to say just pay the Dude, he’s great. There are just to many factors out there right now. Including the 30% rule that really makes things interesting. Revis is aware of all this, but still insists on breaking the bank. If he gets it, good for him, but I really

Doubt it.

I know he’s not getting 16 million from the Jets. Not guaranteed.

I dont think that Revis will be receiving 16 million a year and be the highest yearly paid CB, I do think that the Jets will be offering him a 100 million dollar before the start of this season though. I understand all of the things that you said. Its valid. However, this may be the only year that we have Revis, Cromartie, Harris, Holmes and Edwards on the same team. The Jets are looking for a superbowl and they've already invested in a franchise QB. Locking up Revis for 7-8 years will allow them to interchange parts at different defensive positions given his ability. Its kinda like how Peyton Manning makes everyone on the offense look good because he's THAT good. Revis is that same level of talent. I dont think they'll guarantee 16 million, but it will be a blockbuster contract overall, and it will be before the beginning of the season.

Love to know what we could get for him in a trade.

Whatever it is, would not be worth it... Unless its Peyton Manning 10 years younger.

Seriously, the fact that members of the fanbase are turning on this guy because he's trying to get paid in the prime of his career is ludicrous. Revis might very well be the best Jet any of us will ever see in the grand scheme of "great players" in the history of the game.

He is hardly the type of talent you trade away in the prime of his career.

He is hardly the type of talent you lowball.

It's July. He'll get paid, and he'll be dominant for a number or years to come... and most of us will have forgotten he held out... except those that talked **** about him, suggested we trade him, etc....

Does he deserve more then $1 mill, of course. But he is still under contract for what, 3 years? The Jets caving would set such a precedent. There has to be some middle ground. To give him $16 mil a year is absurd at this point. Give him some crazy incentives for this year, like $200,000 for each game played ( 3.2 mill on top of his salary) That should be enough for this coming year, since the Jets don't have to give him anything. Hopefully that will make him happy for now.

Point is there has to be a way to make him happy THIS SEASON and still have the Jets save face.

I think this has to be the worst possible timing for the jets to extend revis

he's coming off of what will likely go down as his "career year", and they simply don't have to extend him, this is not his walk year, and the whole 2011 uncertainty

so I will support them if they play hardball with revis, even if he holds out

once he starts missing game checks, he'll blink first

Revis needs to put together more of a resume before he is the "best defender in the league without question" as far as I'm concerned. I think he's phenomenal and I'm a big fan, but while he does deserve more money eventually, he does not deserve $16+ million per year with 3 years left on his current deal.

Listen to this guy.

fwiw, NFL network had on the scroller today that;

"according to sources, revis is not expected to hold out from jets training camp to avoid losing future guarantees in his current contract"

I think the jets should reward this (if this is true) by sweetening any current offer a bit

train those dogs ! ;)

i don tunderstand why they dont just give him the guranateed money he deserves on along extension.....say 6 years plus the 3 he has left......backload the contract to the point where in the last 2 or 3 years it balloons enough to come at least pretty close to covering the avergae money per year he wants to make......even though he will never see that money. so basically we have him 6 more years at a semi-reasonable price and then he is either traded or restructures etc.....

i don tunderstand why they dont just give him the guranateed money he deserves on along extension.....say 6 years plus the 3 he has left......backload the contract to the point where in the last 2 or 3 years it balloons enough to come at least pretty close to covering the average money per year he wants to make......even though he will never see that money. so basically we have him 6 more years at a semi-reasonable price and then he is either traded or restructures etc.....

Here's the probable best scenario on this whole equation:

1. He has spent almost all of his "UP FRONT" money & needs more

1. With an impending "LOCK OUT" he has no safety funds
    2. Good example is the fact that he just took over 30 family members to the Baltic sea for a full month's vacation - who does that - someone who can not manage his money
    3. [*]Wants ALL of the incentive money "UP FRONT"

1. Something that no front office is willing to put up

[*]Is using his 1-1/2 years of seen potential as a negotiation tool

1. Is forcing the Jets organization that in the NFL - Nothing is forever

1. Now understand that the Jets have offered him exactly what he still wants. However, the most of the incentive money comes in the last year of the contract & since no contract is guaranteed, the jets could release him in his 6th year & not pay him the balloon payment.

Still, it appears that they did offer him an extension that would in the 6th year, give him the balloon payment & yet pay him an additional bonus in the 7th & 8th year of the contract.

It seems that he still wants that bonus NOW and not 3 years from now.

Almost proving that the scenario #1 is the true reason that he will not negotiate - GREED!

2. An injury could end his career status quite easily
      3. See Reason 1

so wait a sec..he is already guaranteed 20 mill for 2011 & 2012? WTF!!

If Revis were to miss any mandatory time due to a holdout, however, he might lose the guranteed portion of the contract. He would then be under contract for two more years, at $5 million in 2011 and $15 million in 2012. That potential guarantee is something he would not want to risk.

so wait a sec..he is already guaranteed 20 mill for 2011 & 2012? WTF!!

If Revis were to miss any mandatory time due to a holdout, however, he might lose the guranteed portion of the contract. He would then be under contract for two more years, at $5 million in 2011 and $15 million in 2012. That potential guarantee is something he would not want to risk.

Yes! That’s the funny part of all this. When he was given his contract he made more money then the 2 guys picked before him, and was guaranteed 20 million the last two years of his contract if the Jets picked up his option. Which of course they will.

The only problem for Revis is this year he only gets 1 million. He knew that when he signed it. He wants his pie and eat it.

Play ball Revis.

If he had sucked do you think he would be refunding the money he was overpaid in fair market value the first 3 years of his contract?

Right

completely agree Al..everyone around the league and in Revis'camp knows Nnamdi's deal is a joke..find some middle ground until the new CBA comes out

This is what all rational-thinking people are saying.

Revis has 3 years left on his contract. The team has the greater leverage (particularly with the addition of both Cromartie and Wilson).

It is in the best interest of both sides to hammer out a deal. NO ONE wants to see Revis on another team. But no one who wants to see a Jets championship wants to see a CB counting over $16M per season, every season, on a future salary cap.

Sometimes Florio is pretty good with this contract stuff, sometimes he just likes to be provocative and scary. I hope he's just being the latter here (feel free to jump to the bold):

No decision has been made on Revis holdout

Posted by Mike Florio on July 10, 2010 7:55 PM ET

Conflicting reports recently have emerged regarding the question of whether Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis will hold out of training camp in the wake of a contract given to left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson that initially looked to be pretty, pretty good (thanks to the info leaked by his agent) to pretty, pretty mediocre.

A source close to Revis tells us unequivocally that no decision has been made.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News recently reported that Revis is "fully prepared" to hold out beyond August 10, the day on which he would forfeit a year's credit toward free agency. And while Revis may indeed be "fully prepared" to hold out, no decision has been made.

Mike Lombardi of NFL Network reported on Friday night that Revis will show up on Day One of camp, due to the fact that a holdout (as we pointed out several weeks ago) would result in $20 million in guaranteed money that Revis is due to earn in 2011 and 2012 becoming not guaranteed.

Said the source close to Revis, "I don't know where Lombardi got that. No decision has been made."

Moreover, Revis continues to have a possible ace in the hole. As we explained last month, some league insiders believe that, after Revis elects to pull the plug after the fourth season of his current deal (which his rookie contract gives him the right to do), the Jets will attempt to buy back the final two years at base salaries of $5 million in 2011 and $15 million in 2012 -- and the league will find that the effort violates the 30-percent rule.

It's still unclear why the Revis contract initially was approved if the last two years will be deemed to run afoul of the 30-percent rule. But if the NFL ultimately scuttles years five and six, Revis would become a free agent, and it's possible that the precise language of his contract prevents not only the use of the franchise tag (it does) but also the use of one of the restricted free agency tenders (it's unclear whether it does).

Meanwhile, regardless of how this all turns out, Revis has yet to determine his next move. Given that his uncle, Sean Gilbert, once sat out for an entire season, it's impossible to rule out a holdout at this point.

From the comments:

aec4 says:

July 10, 2010 9:06 PM

Contract will be grandfathered in.

Hope you're right! :mrgreen:

I'd like to hear from Jason on this one.

Here's the probable best scenario on this whole equation:

1. He has spent almost all of his "UP FRONT" money & needs more

1. With an impending "LOCK OUT" he has no safety funds
    2. Good example is the fact that he just took over 30 family members to the Baltic sea for a full month's vacation - who does that - someone who can not manage his money
    3. [*]Wants ALL of the incentive money "UP FRONT"

1. Something that no front office is willing to put up

[*]Is using his 1-1/2 years of seen potential as a negotiation tool

1. Is forcing the Jets organization that in the NFL - Nothing is forever
        1. Now understand that the Jets have offered him exactly what he still wants. However, the most of the incentive money comes in the last year of the contract & since no contract is guaranteed, the jets could release him in his 6th year & not pay him the balloon payment.

Still, it appears that they did offer him an extension that would in the 6th year, give him the balloon payment & yet pay him an additional bonus in the 7th & 8th year of the contract.

It seems that he still wants that bonus NOW and not 3 years from now.

Almost proving that the scenario #1 is the true reason that he will not negotiate - GREED!

I don't think where the guy takes his family for vacation has anything to do with it. I think he wants some guaranteed money now because of the potential for injury and lockout after this season. He had a good year and has a low salary, he's exactly the candidate to whine about his deal (see Thomas Jones before '09)

2. An injury could end his career status quite easily
      3. See Reason 1

While I agree Revis is a rare talent at CB he is JUST a CB.. Going into the 02 season for Cap reasons we unloaded our starting CB's Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman to the Texans and went into the season with Aaron Beasley and Donnie Abraham.. We won the east and in the playoffs shut out Peyton Mannings Colts 41-0 in the first rd of the playoffs.. Knowing how important Revis is to a team had he been on those Jets would the Colts have had negative points instead of just none??? :hand:

the grass trays beat Payton Manning that day not Donnie Abraham.

Rex Ryan's Top 4 corners in 2008, when he helped John Harbaugh lead the Baltimore Ravens to the AFC Championship Game.

1. Fabian Washington (a former 1st round mini-bust)

2. Samari Rolle (who was past his prime at this point)

3. Corey Ivy

4. Chris McAlister (who also was past his prime at this point)

I'm just saying, I think Rex could make do if he had to with:

1. Antonio Cromartie

2. Kyle Wilson

3. Dwight Lowery

4. Marquice Cole / Drew Coleman

Rex Ryan's Top 4 corners in 2008, when he helped John Harbaugh lead the Baltimore Ravens to the AFC Championship Game.

1. Fabian Washington (a former 1st round mini-bust)

2. Samari Rolle (who was past his prime at this point)

3. Corey Ivy

4. Chris McAlister (who also was past his prime at this point)

I'm just saying, I think Rex could make do if he had to with:

1. Antonio Cromartie

2. Kyle Wilson

3. Dwight Lowery

4. Marquice Cole / Drew Coleman

Yeah but we don't have the front 7 of the Ravens. Or Ed Reed.

Kyle Wilson would have to be seriously be the real deal because the rest of that core is garbage. Cro is not close to being a #1 CB, he'd kill us.

Yeah but we don't have the front 7 of the Ravens. Or Ed Reed.

Kyle Wilson would have to be seriously be the real deal because the rest of that core is garbage. Cro is not close to being a #1 CB, he'd kill us.

In this defense Cromartie should be able to return to his '06-'07 form.

Wilson is already better than any of the crap we had at #2 last year.

I'm not saying we would be just as good right away, but give it a year of drafting/FA for some more pass rush in the front seven and we would be.

In this defense Cromartie should be able to return to his '06-'07 form.

Wilson is already better than any of the crap we had at #2 last year.

I'm not saying we would be just as good right away, but give it a year of drafting/FA for some more pass rush in the front seven and we would be.

Maybe, but Cro was never that good. Even when he was making great plays he was always giving up just as many.

Revis is a different class of CB to anyone on this roster and probably to anyone in the league. With him Ryan doesn't need to seriously upgrade the pass rush as Revis effectively gives him an extra man. He'll stay, he's here for a while anyway, under his contract if needs be but believe me Ryan wont let him walk.

Archived