Diva Revis could hold out past August 10

Vudu

Report: Darrelle Revis prepared to hold out past August 10

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 9, 2010 11:13 AM ET

With time waning before training camp and no progress apparent in negotiations, Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis' camp is ratcheting up the rhetoric.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News writes that Revis is "fully prepared" to hold out of training camp and isn't worried about the 30-day rule that could put Revis at risk of losing an accrued season towards free agency. Translation: Revis says he's ready to hold out past August 10 if he doesn't get a deal.

"Simply put, Revis isn't bluffing," Mehta writes.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson's contract extension is ultimately irrelevant here, unless it frees up time for the Jets front office to start making concessions to Revis.

Ultimately, we expect the issue to get resolved before the season, probably with a new deal. But Revis will likely have to follow through with his holdout threat to get there.

:Typotux:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fully support Revis doing anything he can to make however much he can.

If he were to suffer a career ending injury this year, he'd make his final $1M and that would be it for him for the rest of his life.

The Jets have the option not to concede to his demands. That's their right. If he holds out, he doesn't get paid - and does get fined. But it's his only recourse.

If he were my client, or my family member, I'd tell him that I think he's better off holding out for this entire season rather than take the chance that his career will be over before he has a chance to cash in as one of the best defensive football players in the history of the game.

If he were to suffer a career ending injury this year, he'd make his final $1M and that would be it for him for the rest of his life.

The Jets have the option not to concede to his demands. That's their right. If he holds out, he doesn't get paid - and does get fined. But it's his only recourse.

If he were my client, or my family member, I'd tell him that I think he's better off holding out for this entire season rather than take the chance that his career will be over before he has a chance to cash in as one of the best defensive football players in the history of the game.

Its hard to argue with this. Especially with what came out about Chris Henry.

I'd do the same thing if I were Revis.

If I

Although in some ways I don't blame Revis for trying to get what he can, I do blame him for being unrealistic. What's troubling is that neither side, from all indications, seems to have been willing to meet in the middle.

The Jets don't want to (or possibly can't with the CBA) give the guranteed money that would be needed for middle ground. Guranteeing more than $40 million would at least give the Jets ground to stand on, but from all indications all of the guranteed money has fallen well short of that.

At the same token, Revis doesn't feel he should pay for a penny less than Aso got in annual salary (which is at least four million/25 % in terms of annual salary than the next highest salary). Considering that it was Al Davis making this deal and considering that Aso was a free agent at the time (Revis has three years left assuming the buy back happens), this really isn't a realistic number to shoot for.

Its almost like trying to buy a 4 bedroom house. The buyer wants to buy for $1 and the seller won't let it go for less than $10 million. Both sides need to start serious negotiating and stop with the high-low figures. Otherwise the Jets will wind up playing without their most important defensive player this year (and perhaps beyond) and Revis will be wasting not only at least a year in his prime but his legacy as well.

Revis is the best defender in the league without question and just had one of the best seasons ever as a CB. He has the potential to be the GOAT at his position. You're really calling him a diva because he wants to get paid what he's worth?

Revis is the best defender in the league without question and just had one of the best seasons ever as a CB. He has the potential to be the GOAT at his position. You're really calling him a diva because he wants to get paid what he's worth?

He's not worth what he's asking. Very simple.

Revis needs to put together more of a resume before he is the "best defender in the league without question" as far as I'm concerned. I think he's phenomenal and I'm a big fan, but while he does deserve more money eventually, he does not deserve $16+ million per year with 3 years left on his current deal.

Love to know what we could get for him in a trade.

AT LEAST a pair of 1st round picks and some teams may even be willing to give up a player as well. Still not sure if it would be worth it. At least not now. At season's end we'll see what's happening with his demands, our cap room, and the new CBA, if there is one.

Both sides need to start serious negotiating and stop with the high-low figures. Otherwise the Jets will wind up playing without their most important defensive player this year (and perhaps beyond) and Revis will be wasting not only at least a year in his prime but his legacy as well.

This is true.

Revis should acknowledge that the Jets are doing him a solid by renegotiating his contract with effectively three years left, and back off of his Aso demands.

But if Brick's deal is any indication, I could see why Revis isn't all that interested in what the Jets are offering. Revis plays a position that engages in a lot more of the high speed collisions that result in career ending injuries.

The Jets can get around the 30% rule by giving Revis a fat signing bonus. I think a large chunk of cash up front (in the $20-25M range) oughta get Revis a little more interested in signing now, and maybe a little more willing to back off his public demands.

That's the risk he's willing to take, apparently - and it's a wise risk on his part, IMHO. I think it's safe to assume that eventually the Jets will either pay him or trade him to a team that will.

Obviously, I hope he works it out here.

I see your point slats, but from his perspective sitting out the whole season hurts him because he loses a year of eligibility.

He wants to be a FA, but it will take longer for him to get there by holding out.

More than signing him at his asking price?

Those are not the only options.

Jets are trying to win a SB in 2010 before there's no football in 2011. Trading for 2011 1st rounders doesn't help the Jets do that.

Yes. He signed a contract. He should honor it. Hey, Revis - stop being a bitch and suit up.

This is true.

Revis should acknowledge that the Jets are doing him a solid by renegotiating his contract with effectively three years left, and back off of his Aso demands.

But if Brick's deal is any indication, I could see why Revis isn't all that interested in what the Jets are offering. Revis plays a position that engages in a lot more of the high speed collisions that result in career ending injuries.

The Jets can get around the 30% rule by giving Revis a fat signing bonus. I think a large chunk of cash up front (in the $20-25M range) oughta get Revis a little more interested in signing now, and maybe a little more willing to back off his public demands.

What will be our cap room next year with the new CBA? When will the new contract kick in... With Dbrick it doesn't kick in until his original contract expires. If they give Revis a 5 year extension on his buyout, plus execute the buyout...Will he still holdout until he gets more than $1mill this season?

Is their another team in the league that would pay him that money?

I can't get over how much money he's asking for. Its nonsensical. ****ing Al Davis...

To be fair we don't know that to be his demands. His biggest issue is not that we're not offering enough money, its that we're offering next to nothing in guaranteed money. At least that is my interpretation of what he has said. The guaranteed money is going to be tough for the Jets to navigate around because they have to oblige by the 30% rule and they don't know how much guaranteed money they can afford to give out under the new CBA, if there is a new CBA.

The issue is kind of "what is he worth".

That is an open ended debate

What will be our cap room next year with the new CBA? When will the new contract kick in... With Dbrick it doesn't kick in until his original contract expires. If they give Revis a 5 year extension on his buyout, plus execute the buyout...Will he still holdout until he gets more than $1mill this season?

That's the 120 million dollar question-what will the new CBA include and where will it position the jets?

They are biding their time a bit.

I could not agree more. This backlash against revis is odd to me.

So fine, then he's got 4 years until free agency instead of 3. Sounds like a solid plan.

we dont want our slot defender gettind raped again in a championship game. Revis is too important to be considered a luxury, especially what he allows the front 7 to do.

I do want him to get paid though. this is a business and the players are always supposed to "play". The front office needs to pay this guy or trade him to a place that would pay him. Revis is obviously the best defender in the game, for him to be making 1 million is ridiculous.

I'm on board with him getting paid, just not the ludicrous amount he wants.

If we pay him that it will destroy our franchise.

I've said this before, if he wants to get paid like the best CB, I guess that would be Charles Woodson since he won DPOY.

So 10 million will be just fine- I only say this because he's taking Rex's comments so literal.

Not one person in the world is worth that much money.

we dont want our slot defender gettind raped again in a championship game. Revis is too important to be considered a luxury, especially what he allows the front 7 to do.

I do want him to get paid though. this is a business and the players are always supposed to "play". The front office needs to pay this guy or trade him to a place that would pay him. Revis is obviously the best defender in the game, for him to be making 1 million is ridiculous.

This argument that he's "only making one million" is asinine. I'm sorry, that's jut not the way NFL contracts work. For starters, the signing bonus and other bonuses he's received over the first three years of his contract are in place to represent payment as part of the entirety of the contract, not just the year it is paid in. His "only" make 1 million this year is purely contractual structure. He sure as hell got paid well over his worth his rookie year, but you didn't see the Jets complaining or Revis offering to pay back any money, because all parties involved knew that the exact dollar amount wasn't tied to his performance at that exact moment. The problem is, Revis has already collected lots of big money that he wasn't really fully earning until last year, and now decides he doesn't want to honor the contract he signed.

Keep in mind Revis gets NOWHERE NEAR as much money in those first three years of that deal if he hadn't signed a 6 year contract. The Jets completely blew up the slotting system that year (and caught a lot of heat for it) to get him for that sixth year, and Revis was more than glad to cash in on it. So now he just wants to forget his part of the deal? Frankly, it's not Revis who is getting screwed right now, it's the Jets for having a selfish player who's unwilling to honor his agreement after already taking in far more than he should have because of the assumption that he would honor it. If he wants a new deal now, I wonder how he'd feel about first paying back every cent he received over what his slotted contract should have been based on his draft slot? I'm guessing he's not going to jump at that.

He's a DIVA!!! F him. Let him sit out lose money and dont give him ****. He's holding out with 3 years left on a very solid contract, this isnt like the Chris Johnson situation.

And there is most certainly question that he is the best defender in the league. Hell, off the top of my head I'd take at least 5 defenders in NFL on a straight up trade for Revis.

So 10 million will be just fine- I only say this because he's taking Rex's comments so literal.

dunta robinson and asante samuel make that money

revis is worth more than dunta robinson.

any1 who says he isnt worth the money, isn't the best defender, or can be replaced easily... im sorry but that's not accurate. is he greedy? maybe but these guys aren't playing for charity.

Archived