Diva Revis could hold out past August 10

Vudu

dunta robinson and asante samuel make that money

revis is worth more than dunta robinson.

any1 who says he isnt worth the money, isn't the best defender, or can be replaced easily... im sorry but that's not accurate. is he greedy? maybe but these guys aren't playing for charity.

But is Dunta Robinson worth that money?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This argument that he's "only making one million" is asinine. I'm sorry, that's jut not the way NFL contracts work. For starters, the signing bonus and other bonuses he's received over the first three years of his contract are in place to represent payment as part of the entirety of the contract, not just the year it is paid in. His "only" make 1 million this year is purely contractual structure. He sure as hell got paid well over his worth his rookie year, but you didn't see the Jets complaining or Revis offering to pay back any money, because all parties involved knew that the exact dollar amount wasn't tied to his performance at that exact moment. The problem is, Revis has already collected lots of big money that he wasn't really fully earning until last year, and now decides he doesn't want to honor the contract he signed.

Keep in mind Revis gets NOWHERE NEAR as much money in those first three years of that deal if he hadn't signed a 6 year contract. The Jets completely blew up the slotting system that year (and caught a lot of heat for it) to get him for that sixth year, and Revis was more than glad to cash in on it. So now he just wants to forget his part of the deal? Frankly, it's not Revis who is getting screwed right now, it's the Jets for having a selfish player who's unwilling to honor his agreement after already taking in far more than he should have because of the assumption that he would honor it. If he wants a new deal now, I wonder how he'd feel about first paying back every cent he received over what his slotted contract should have been based on his draft slot? I'm guessing he's not going to jump at that.

I understand all this, but the bottomline is that when players dont perform the front office can rip up a contract, when a player overacheives, especially in a case like Revis he has leverage to hold out. Im not saying that what you're saying is wrong. What im saying is that the Front office ALWAYS gets the benefit of the doubt and is always handed the excuse that will benefit them. You can talk about a 6 year contract and what the front office did to get him that and it could also be stated that Revis was one of the best CB's in the league since he stepped on the field, and last year had the greatest defensive year by a CB in the history of the game and one of the best as a defender in the history of the game. The bottomline is that he's always lived up to the amount of money he made and now he's on a level in which he is so good that he makes other peoples jobs much easier because he can shutdown half of the field for alot longer than 4 seconds.

There's a case that can be made for him too...this IS a business and when you have a player of this calibur you keep him. This isnt the front office or players fault....this is the NFL's fault by not having a way to keep players you drafted without impacting your cap space. Its like the Jets are being penalized because they've drafted well. thats the real problem here, not Revis wanting to get paid.

But is Dunta Robinson worth that money?

here's a question is the rights to broadcast the NFL for Directv worth 5 billion dollars? what about the advertising rates for Super Bowl?

"the system is out of order" argument is fine but not realistic. the owners make billions, the players make millions, if Revis is the best young defender (player?) in the league he deserves his millions.

dunta robinson and asante samuel make that money

revis is worth more than dunta robinson.

any1 who says he isnt worth the money, isn't the best defender, or can be replaced easily... im sorry but that's not accurate. is he greedy? maybe but these guys aren't playing for charity.

Yup.

IMO, Revis is the best CB I've seen in a very, very long time. Can't see the exotic blitz's being nearly as successful without a shut down corner of his caliber. Should he be paid? I 'dunno. What's the ultimate price? But you are spot on, Bit. These guys aren't playing for charity. It's money first, glory second.

here's a question is the rights to broadcast the NFL for Directv worth 5 billion dollars? what about the advertising rates for Super Bowl?

"the system is out of order" argument is fine but not realistic. the owners make billions, the players make millions, if Revis is the best young defender (player?) in the league he deserves his millions.

It's very simple, he wanted this years money 2 years ago. So he agreed to a front loaded contract. He's already made millions for this year.

It's very simple, he wanted this years money 2 years ago. So he agreed to a front loaded contract. He's already made millions for this year.

When someone signed up at Walmart a few years ago they agreed on minimum wage, should they not ask for a raise if they have exceeded expectations?

Just because the amount of money is out of your league does not change the fact that he has outplayed his contract.

He is also kind of being a douche about this though.

The one thing no one is considering here is that the owners are asking for an 18% reduction in the money given to the players. That is one of the main issues in the lock out.

The owners hold all the cards. They will get a major reduction in the end.

In 2012 the Aso contract won

The one thing no one is considering here is that the owners are asking for an 18% reduction in the money given to the players. That is one of the main issues in the lock out.

The owners hold all the cards. They will get a major reduction in the end.

news will eventually come out that the players have more leverage than we think...

also there's no way they can get a reduction and ask for 2 more regular season games at the same time.

the cap will go up, it always does.

news will eventually come out that the players have more leverage than we think...

also there's no way they can get a reduction and ask for 2 more regular season games at the same time.

the cap will go up, it always does.

What news would that be?

The only thing that will give the players any leverage is some type of court decision. I know they are trying some suits, but from what I have seen I don

I just tell myself that Revis is already injured and won't be back till week 11. No way he sits out the whole year and gives up a year of eligibility. So we hang tough till week 11, then get Revis back with enough time for him to round into football shape in time for the playoffs. Easy game.

Give me a stud DE and a couple 1st rd picks..i'll be happy.

I'm with you.

Problem is no team in their right mind would give him the contract he is asking for in this current climate with the lock out looming.

Revis had a sensational season last year. Maybe the best ever. People are talking like he is the GOAT. Guys been in the league 3 years. Had two good seasons, and a great season. Future looks really bright for him, but are you really going to risk the franchise's future for the next 7 years that he is going to continue playing, not well, but as the Goat? That’s what he will be paid like.

I really hope this whole thing gets resolved and Revis retires a Jet, but not at the expense of the other good players on the team.

I just tell myself that Revis is already injured and won't be back till week 11. No way he sits out the whole year and gives up a year of eligibility. So we hang tough till week 11, then get Revis back with enough time for him to round into football shape in time for the playoffs. Easy game.

The 10 weeks doesn't apply this year.

If he holds out he looses the entire season of eligibility, and he still is under contract for 3 more years

Revis was very good, Rex and Rex's system made him great.

No doubt that Rex took full advantage of Revis' talents, and that's what really put him in the discussion for GOAT.

But there's probably not another player in the league who could've done for Rex what Revis did last season. He makes the defense work. Being able to single cover some of the best #1 WR's in the league is like having a 12th man on the field.

The man has leverage, and deserves to be paid.

Let him holdout, Revis Island will turn into Revis peninsula where people can come and go as they please.

Revis was very good, Rex and Rex's system made him great.

Really?? Rex's "system" for Revis was to stop wasting his talent in zone coverage and just let him go man to man against every team's best receiver. There was no rocket science to it at all. Revis has always been great.

The one thing no one is considering here is that the owners are asking for an 18% reduction in the money given to the players.

I'm not considering it because no one is. This is not the owners' stance, the 18% number is a figment of the union head's imagination - a way to fire up his troops for what should be some serious negotiations. That's it. Nothing more.

The cap may go down slightly. Maybe. It's unlikely, though. While the owners may look for a reduction, the players are going to push for more money to be included in the pie, and are going to press for the owners to open their books - something they've demonstrated themselves as being very unwilling to do. The owners will be pretty happy if the cap continues on it's current trajectory, but they get a rookie pay scale in place. Most of the money they throw out is on rookie busts, or draft picks who take a few years to develop.

I find it wholly amusing that last season Leon Washington wanted to be grossly overpaid for his services and it seemed everyone was behind him. Now we actually have a great player and he's a "diva". It's one aspect of my fellow Jets fans that I just can't understand. We seem to love average to slightly above average players who overachieve in some manner. Chrebet, Washington, Pennington, etc.. Yet when we actually have a great player on our team there's no love. Hell, Chris Baker seemed to get more love when he wanted to be vastly overpaid. Revis is the best CB in the league. He's the only defender in the league that will single-handedly shut down an offensive weapon. We have greatness on our team, and he is the biggest reason our defense was so great last year. And you people want to trade him? :face:

I find it wholly amusing that last season Leon Washington wanted to be grossly overpaid for his services and it seemed everyone was behind him. Now we actually have a great player and he's a "diva". It's one aspect of my fellow Jets fans that I just can't understand. We seem to love average to slightly above average players who overachieve in some manner. Chrebet, Washington, Pennington, etc.. Yet when we actually have a great player on our team there's no love. Hell, Chris Baker seemed to get more love when he wanted to be vastly overpaid. Revis is the best CB in the league. He's the only defender in the league that will single-handedly shut down an offensive weapon. We have greatness on our team, and he is the biggest reason our defense was so great last year. And you people want to trade him? :face:

Really?? Rex's "system" for Revis was to stop wasting his talent in zone coverage and just let him go man to man against every team's best receiver. There was no rocket science to it at all. Revis has always been great.

It's not rocket science to see that Revis was a good player. But under Rex he doubled his passes defended because "Rex's system" played to Darrelle's strengths.

Mangina coached him for 2 years, his name was not mentioned at all for DPOY, Rex has him for 1 and he should've gotten it. That's all Darrelle right?? Rex did not help that situation one bit. lol

Revis is the best CB in the league. He's the only defender in the league that will single-handedly shut down an offensive weapon. We have greatness on our team, and he is the biggest reason our defense was so great last year. And you people want to trade him? :face:

+1 there's no way to replace Revis. a guy like that comes around once every 5 years in the draft... maybe once every 10 years.

I fully support Revis doing anything he can to make however much he can.

If he were to suffer a career ending injury this year, he'd make his final $1M and that would be it for him for the rest of his life.

The Jets have the option not to concede to his demands. That's their right. If he holds out, he doesn't get paid - and does get fined. But it's his only recourse.

If he were my client, or my family member, I'd tell him that I think he's better off holding out for this entire season rather than take the chance that his career will be over before he has a chance to cash in as one of the best defensive football players in the history of the game.

lol

revis hype is getting a teeny weent bit out of hand

Revis became a potential GOAT w/ Rex. Without Rex, Revis is a very solid CB. Rex makes Revis and has been making D's great long before the talents of Revis. Sorry brother Rex makes Revis. Stick Revis else where, nobody is talking about him as a potential GOAT and there is probably still arguments about who's the best CB in the league.

Please....Revis gets sucked off on this site more than any other player I've ever seen. And very few people thought Leon deserved that money. Most people on this board thought he was a complete idiot for turing down 4 mil a year....a lot different then 16 mil when nobody knows the future of the league.

Rex is the biggest reason we were great last year. We had Revis for 2 years without Rex and our defense sucked. Dont know how you could even begin to say Revis is more important to our D than Rex. That is crazy talk. Rex leaves, our D sucks. Revis leaves, our D is still top notch.

Revis became a potential GOAT w/ Rex. Without Rex, Revis is a very solid CB. Rex makes Revis and has been making D's great long before the talents of Revis. Sorry brother Rex makes Revis. Stick Revis else where, nobody is talking about him as a potential GOAT and there is probably still arguments about who's the best CB in the league.

Please....Revis gets sucked off on this site more than any other player I've ever seen. And very few people thought Leon deserved that money. Most people on this board thought he was a complete idiot for turing down 4 mil a year....a lot different then 16 mil when nobody knows the future of the league.

Rex is the biggest reason we were great last year. We had Revis for 2 years without Rex and our defense sucked. Dont know how you could even begin to say Revis is more important to our D than Rex. That is crazy talk. Rex leaves, our D sucks. Revis leaves, our D is still top notch.

Got to agree on both points

I don't buy that, he's a huge part of this defense. You act like it's plug and play @ that position, I don't want to go into the season with Wilson/A.Cro across from Boldin.

I don't buy that, he's a huge part of this defense. You act like it's plug and play @ that position, I don't want to go into the season with Wilson/A.Cro across from Boldin.

Not at all. Dont mean to give that impression. Revis is a spectacular player and an assist to the defense. But no F'ing way on earth are we talking about him as a potential GOAT at his position without Rex Ryan. Sorry. I'm not buying it at all. If he played for Mangini last year, we'd still be arguing about who the best corner in the league is currently and we'd still have a middle of the pack defense. Rex can scheme his way to make up for lack of Revis. He's never needed a Revis calibar player before...dont think he would now.

Revis is a great player, but he's not worth the risk associated with paying 1 player that much money that doesnt touch the ball every play. Especially when you have other pressing needs to be resigned.

I fully support Revis doing anything he can to make however much he can.

If he were to suffer a career ending injury this year, he'd make his final $1M and that would be it for him for the rest of his life.

The Jets have the option not to concede to his demands. That's their right. If he holds out, he doesn't get paid - and does get fined. But it's his only recourse.

If he were my client, or my family member, I'd tell him that I think he's better off holding out for this entire season rather than take the chance that his career will be over before he has a chance to cash in as one of the best defensive football players in the history of the game.

or he pays 300 grand this year for a $15 million injury policy. he knows the payday is coming eventually, just has to have insurance until then. the "longterm security" thing is a joke. you can get injury insurance.

Archived