AM Practice Report: A fun finish

flgreen

AM Practice report:A fun finish

August, 12, 2010 Aug 123:21PM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich CiminiAt the end of the Thursday morning practice, held through a steady drizzle in Cortland, Rex Ryan gathered his players on the field and presented a challenge: He promised the team a night off (no meetings) if a non-kicker could make a 44-yard field goal.

Hmm, wonder if he was playing to the "Hard Knocks" cameras?

CB Drew Coleman was the kicker, CB Marquice Cole the holder. Coleman's attempt was long enough -- impressive -- but it was just wide right. The groans probably were heard through the hills of Cortland County.

Now here's the real kicker: Ryan already had decided to let the players have their annual movie night, a trip to a local theater, so the actual kick by Coleman was moot. But Ryan didn't tell the players; he told the media first. By early afternoon, unofficial word had reached the players.

"Hell yes!" one player told me.

Other thoughts and observations from a damp practice:

1. On 11-on-11, RB LaDainian Tomlinson took an inside handoff and made a nice cut to the right guard/right tackle hole, bursting to daylight. Terrific instincts. Tomlinson also continued to display his prowess as a receiver. That, more than anything, is how he'll make his biggest impact.

2. RB Danny Woodhead is only 5-9, but he's a tough SOB. On one run, he was positively blasted by S Emanuel Cook, but he managed to stay on his feet. At one point, O.C. Brian Schottenheimer yelled to the defensive coaches, "You can't stop Woodhead!" He's a bubble player; it'll be interesting to see if he makes the final cut.

3. LG Matt Slauson continued to get most of the reps with the first team. With the second-team offense, Slauson shifts to right guard, with rookie Vlad Ducasse at left guard. Slauson is getting plenty of experience.

4. NT Kris Jenkins jumped offsides and blasted C Rob Turner, who was starting for Nick Mangold (head). It looked like there was going to be an ugly moment, but Jenkins made nice, drawing cheers from the crowd.

5. QB Kevin O'Connell, battling Kellen Clemens for the third-string job, has improved since minicamp. He made a nice long completion to WR Aundrae Allison. CB Bo Smith's coverage was poor, but give credit to O'Connell for the throw.

6. PK Nick Folk went 6-for-7, including a 42-yard attempt that was blocked by Braylon Edwards. After a shaky offseason, Folk is having a solid camp.

7. QB Mark Sanchez was 8-for-15, no TDs, no INTs. That includes a drop (TE Dustin Keller) and an intentional spike. His best throws were a completion to WR Jerricho Cotchery on a fourth-and-4 in hurry-up and a well-timed comebacker to Edwards. Sanchez did misfire on some underneath throws.

8. This could be the starting front four in the nickel package: Jason Taylor, Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas and Vernon Gholston -- four linebacker-type players.

AM Practice report:A fun finish

August, 12, 2010 Aug 123:21PM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich CiminiAt the end of the Thursday morning practice, held through a steady drizzle in Cortland, Rex Ryan gathered his players on the field and presented a challenge: He promised the team a night off (no meetings) if a non-kicker could make a 44-yard field goal.

Hmm, wonder if he was playing to the "Hard Knocks" cameras?

CB Drew Coleman was the kicker, CB Marquice Cole the holder. Coleman's attempt was long enough -- impressive -- but it was just wide right. The groans probably were heard through the hills of Cortland County.

Now here's the real kicker: Ryan already had decided to let the players have their annual movie night, a trip to a local theater, so the actual kick by Coleman was moot. But Ryan didn't tell the players; he told the media first. By early afternoon, unofficial word had reached the players.

"Hell yes!" one player told me.

Other thoughts and observations from a damp practice:

1. On 11-on-11, RB LaDainian Tomlinson took an inside handoff and made a nice cut to the right guard/right tackle hole, bursting to daylight. Terrific instincts. Tomlinson also continued to display his prowess as a receiver. That, more than anything, is how he'll make his biggest impact.

2. RB Danny Woodhead is only 5-9, but he's a tough SOB. On one run, he was positively blasted by S Emanuel Cook, but he managed to stay on his feet. At one point, O.C. Brian Schottenheimer yelled to the defensive coaches, "You can't stop Woodhead!" He's a bubble player; it'll be interesting to see if he makes the final cut.

3. LG Matt Slauson continued to get most of the reps with the first team. With the second-team offense, Slauson shifts to right guard, with rookie Vlad Ducasse at left guard. Slauson is getting plenty of experience.

4. NT Kris Jenkins jumped offsides and blasted C Rob Turner, who was starting for Nick Mangold (head). It looked like there was going to be an ugly moment, but Jenkins made nice, drawing cheers from the crowd.

5. QB Kevin O'Connell, battling Kellen Clemens for the third-string job, has improved since minicamp. He made a nice long completion to WR Aundrae Allison. CB Bo Smith's coverage was poor, but give credit to O'Connell for the throw.

6. PK Nick Folk went 6-for-7, including a 42-yard attempt that was blocked by Braylon Edwards. After a shaky offseason, Folk is having a solid camp.

7. QB Mark Sanchez was 8-for-15, no TDs, no INTs. That includes a drop (TE Dustin Keller) and an intentional spike. His best throws were a completion to WR Jerricho Cotchery on a fourth-and-4 in hurry-up and a well-timed comebacker to Edwards. Sanchez did misfire on some underneath throws.

8. This could be the starting front four in the nickel package: Jason Taylor, Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas and Vernon Gholston -- four linebacker-type players.

The Model completed 50% 2 days in a row!!!

1. On 11-on-11, RB LaDainian Tomlinson took an inside handoff and made a nice cut to the right guard/right tackle hole, bursting to daylight. Terrific instincts.

Tomlinson has good instincts? This is a news flash? You don't generally lose your instincts. If he's physically capable he'll be fine.

I don't know why they act like the QB didn't prove anything because he threw to an open player. The first skill I want from my QB is the ability to find the open man. It's true that a good throw can beat any coverage, but a mediocre throw can beat sh*tty coverage. I think that is what I want to see from Sanchez. His throws are good, but he needs to hit the open man.

Its time for Sanchez to step up. No more talk about how well he knows the offense in his second year, Clemens knows the offense and he sucks.

another danny woodhead mention... im telling ya the wood head has a real shot to make this team. he was gameday active throughout the playoffs.

Was he playing on specials in the playoffs? I don't remember, but that may be a good thing. Maybe he just isn't suited to contain or maybe he's already improved.

I don't know why they act like the QB didn't prove anything because he threw to an open player. The first skill I want from my QB is the ability to find the open man. It's true that a good throw can beat any coverage, but a mediocre throw can beat sh*tty coverage. I think that is what I want to see from Sanchez. His throws are good, but he needs to hit the open man.

Not me. The first skill I want my QB to master is to read defenses...if he can't do that, finding an open WR or anything else to run an offense is mute.

Not me. The first skill I want my QB to master is to read defenses...if he can't do that, finding an open WR or anything else to run an offense is mute.

Um... isn't that the same thing? That's how you know who is open. Who the safety/LB isn't shading and who has a sh*tty CB on them. My point was that throwing a nice ball is nice, but choosing the right receiver is better.

Um... isn't that the same thing? That's how you know who is open. Who the safety/LB isn't shading and who has a sh*tty CB on them. My point was that throwing a nice ball is nice, but choosing the right receiver is better.

Um, not really. I think if I was interviewing someone to fill the QB position, I'd rather have him say he can read defenses than have him tell me he can find an open receiver...sounds like he's limited to me. But hey, whatever.

Um, not really. I think if I was interviewing someone to fill the QB position, I'd rather have him say he can read defenses than have him tell me he can find an open receiver...sounds like he's limited to me. But hey, whatever.

6 of 1 half dozen of the other. I was just boiling it down to it's simplest form. My point was that they act like the QB hitting a wide open WR in practice means nothing, but I think it has real value whether it's just spotting guys or reading defenses. This is particularly important with guys like Sanchez and O'Connell who have extremely limited experience. Maybe it wouldn't mean as much to hear it about Brunell.

Was he playing on specials in the playoffs? I don't remember, but that may be a good thing. Maybe he just isn't suited to contain or maybe he's already improved.

he had a reception or two... nothing groundbreaking but he's got experience that guys like MckNight and C Washington don't have... there was a scouting report when he was in school that said he could be MJD type of runner. He's a legit athlete, ran in the 4.4s when he was coming out, now he's up to 200 pounds, and he was off an ACL last year. I think he's a real player, as laughable as that sounds. Like i said previous the coaches like this guy way more than the internet.

he had a reception or two... nothing groundbreaking but he's got experience that guys like MckNight and C Washington don't have... there was a scouting report when he was in school that said he could be MJD type of runner. He's a legit athlete, ran in the 4.4s when he was coming out, now he's up to 200 pounds, and he was off an ACL last year. I think he's a real player, as laughable as that sounds. Like i said previous the coaches like this guy way more than the internet.

Well thats just ridiculous.

However, I think he is the type of player that you keep around because they typically can push people...kind of like the Rudy syndrome. You see a guy who might not be as physically gifted as you, out working you and its showing on the field...makes you want to prove you are better.

However, I think he is the type of player that you keep around because they typically can push people...kind of like the Rudy syndrome. You see a guy who might not be as physically gifted as you, out working you and its showing on the field...makes you want to prove you are better.

people call Woodhead "Rudy" for obvious reasons but he had tremendous production in college (actually the NCAA all time leading rusher) and he worked out like a legit player... he ran 4.3 and 4.4. He's not way out of his depth like Rudy was... MJD was 5'7" 205 or so, Woodhead is 5'8" 199 it's not that crazy of a comparison.

this year i think he's got value cause he knows the plays and i dont know we can say the same about MckNight.

people call Woodhead "Rudy" for obvious reasons but he had tremendous production in college (actually the NCAA all time leading rusher) and he worked out like a legit player... he ran 4.3 and 4.4. He's not way out of his depth like Rudy was... MJD was 5'7" 205 or so, Woodhead is 5'8" 199 it's not that crazy of a comparison.

this year i think he's got value cause he knows the plays and i dont know we can say the same about MckNight.

Obviously the height/weight is a good comparison, but you can look at the 2 players and see who is more talented...even in college. I was shocked that MJD didnt go in the first...I thought the world of the kid coming out of college.

And I was specifically referring to McKnight when I mentioned pushing other players.

You don't think the kid is an athlete? Bullsh*t. He is super quick and he timed very fast. The issue is that he is small. Other than size he is as physically gifted and anybody. Who knows how he'll come off his knee, he seemed a little slower last year, but he's no Rudy.

You don't think the kid is an athlete? Bullsh*t. He is super quick and he timed very fast. The issue is that he is small. Other than size he is as physically gifted and anybody. Who knows how he'll come off his knee, he seemed a little slower last year, but he's no Rudy.

I never said he wasnt an athlete. If you are competing for a roster spot on any NFL Football team, you are one of the best athletes out there.

I said he's not as physically gifted as others. How am I wrong? Just because you put up great numbers at your pro day doesnt make you physically cut out for the NFL (or gifted in this scenario) If he was, then he wouldnt be a cusp player who wasnt even drafted. Clearly scouts didnt think he was as physically gifted as his peers, he wasnt even invited to the combine. And even after his outstanding pro day, scouts couldnt warrant him a draft selection. Sorry brother, guys like McKnight and Greene are much more physically gifted then Danny Woodhead. Its not hard to see that...I think his work ethic is why he is around

I never said he wasnt an athlete. If you are competing for a roster spot on any NFL Football team, you are one of the best athletes out there.

I said he's not as physically gifted as others. How am I wrong? Just because you put up great numbers at your pro day doesnt make you physically cut out for the NFL (or gifted in this scenario) If he was, then he wouldnt be a cusp player who wasnt even drafted. Clearly scouts didnt think he was as physically gifted as his peers, he wasnt even invited to the combine. And even after his outstanding pro day, scouts couldnt warrant him a draft selection. Sorry brother, guys like McKnight and Greene are much more physically gifted then Danny Woodhead. Its not hard to see that...I think his work ethic is why he is around

Those guys went to big programs. McKnight is a monster physically and went in the 4th. I don't think Woodhead is better than them athletically, but his issue isn't that he is some kind of Rudy or Cory Reamer, it's that he's a midget. If he were 6'2" 210 he'd probably have been a very high draft pick. He's a great athlete with one major flaw. Maybe he can overcome it, maybe he can't. There are other guys that are average or slightly below in every category. Plenty of great athletes don't get drafted so highly or at all - look at Cumberland. With Woodhead it's obvious why, he's a midget from a tiny school.

FWIW, he's not competing with Greene or McKnight so much as Chauncey Washington and Richardson.

Those guys went to big programs. McKnight is a monster physically and went in the 4th. I don't think Woodhead is better than them athletically, but his issue isn't that he is some kind of Rudy or Cory Reamer, it's that he's a midget. If he were 6'2" 210 he'd probably have been a very high draft pick. He's a great athlete with one major flaw. Maybe he can overcome it, maybe he can't. There are other guys that are average or slightly below in every category. Plenty of great athletes don't get drafted so highly or at all - look at Cumberland. With Woodhead it's obvious why, he's a midget from a tiny school.

FWIW, he's not competing with Greene or McKnight so much as Chauncey Washington and Richardson.

OK,I think we are on the same page. When I say "physically gifted" I mean body type/height/weight etc. If I said "athletically gifted" I'd have meant speed/quickness etc.

And when I said Rudy, I was referring to him overcoming odds and his "physical attributes".

OK,I think we are on the same page. When I say "physically gifted" I mean body type/height/weight etc. If I said "athletically gifted" I'd have meant speed/quickness etc.

And when I said Rudy, I was referring to him overcoming odds and his "physical attributes".

It's not that big a distinction. I just see there as being a difference between being a guy who is top of the charts in most categories: speed, quickness and below accepted minimums in another: size. I think that the draft guys have a minimum standard below which you are not or barely considered for each category. For instance I think there is a speed rating which if you don't hit you will not be drafted for WR. I think that is what happens when you are a 5'7" RB. I never saw him like Rudy, but he does seem to be trying to do everything he can to get on the field - he'll probably try holding for FGs next.

in most systems height is not considered a positive attribute for a RB. It gives the defense a bigger target to hit... and guys like MJD, Sproles have low center of gravity (shiftier, tougher to tackle) and sometimes just get lost in the traffic cause they can't be found.

in most systems height is not considered a positive attribute for a RB. It gives the defense a bigger target to hit... and guys like MJD, Sproles have low center of gravity (shiftier, tougher to tackle) and sometimes just get lost in the traffic cause they can't be found.

Tell that to Brandon Jacobs ;-). But yeah, I think short RB's have that advantage. Leon used to be able to burst out behind Woody and Moore's big butts no those counters...I'm sure when he broke out from those holes where he was hidden behind them, he looked like a blur with his breakaway speed.

Tell that to Brandon Jacobs ;-). But yeah, I think short RB's have that advantage. Leon used to be able to burst out behind Woody and Moore's big butts no those counters...I'm sure when he broke out from those holes where he was hidden behind them, he looked like a blur with his breakaway speed.

Yeah, I agree with you and Bit that height isn't a positive for a back. I was talking about him being short because it seems like he wouldn't necessarily be able to put on much weight. He looked TINY whenever I saw him.

Archived