Boomer Esiason: jets could be in for a big fall

Kentucky Jet

Esiason: Jets could be in for big fall

Jets Blog

By JUSTIN TERRANOVA

Enjoy your time on top, Woody Johnson, because it won’t last long — at least according to one former Jets quarterback.

The Jets, New York’s other football team, has been stealing the headlines from the Giants since last season’s run to the AFC Championship Game with the boasts of head coach Rex Ryan landing on plenty of back pages. But the Giants will find their way back on top when Ryan’s Jets inevitably implode, says CBS analyst Boomer Esiason.

“It’s exactly what [Jets owner] Woody Johnson wanted for his team,” Esiason said. “A guy that would separate the New York Jets from the New York Giants and that’s what Rex has done. But my senses tell me that it’s not going to end pretty. It could be three years from now, five years now or 10 years from now.

“He will be walking a tightrope here because when he fails or his team goes into a tailspin there will be immediate backlash. Once that happens, it will be a short stick. Bobby Valentine and Davey Johnson (Mets) were like that and so was Billy Martin (Yankees).”

Ryan’s second season with the Jets will begin Monday night against the Giants at the New Meadowlands Stadium in both team’s preseason opener. This comes after a public battle over which team would play the first regular-season game at the new stadium. A compromise was reached, with the Giants opening the Stadium on Sunday (Sept. 12) afternoon against the Panthers and the Jets playing Monday night against the Ravens. The new stadium is an important part of the Jets’ identity after playing for 25 years at Giants Stadium.

The Jets will put six players, including Joe Namath, into their new Ring of Honor at halftime of the preseason game.

“It’s great to have a fresh new start with a stadium that you spent money to build,” Esiason said. “And right now they have the right guys in place to get the most out of it, assuming they get Darrelle Revis back.”

For the Giants, coming off a disastrous 8-8 season that started with five straight wins, to steal some of those headlines they will have to get through what Esiason calls “by far the toughest division in football.”

“With the Eagles inexplicably trading Donovan McNabb to the Redskins, you now have four legit playoff teams,” Esiason said. “But [Eagles coach] Andy Reid doesn’t make that move unless he knew Kevin Kolb could take over for McNabb.”

If the Giants can topple McNabb’s former and current team, plus the Cowboys, they could start a return to normalcy — the way it was for Esiason when he was raised on Long Island, the way it remained when he came to the Jets to play quarterback in 1993 and the way it was until Ryan burst onto the scene a year ago.

“The Jets, Mets, Islanders, Devils and Nets all reside in the same neighborhood and that’s a second-class neighborhood,” Esiason said. “I knew that when I was younger and certainly when I was traded to the Jets, but I don’t know if that’s necessarily the case right now because there are so many compelling stories coming from the Jets.”

justin.terranova@nypost.com

If Rex Ryan coaches this team for 10 years he would be their longest tenured coach.

If he wins a couple of Super Bowls in those ten years he could be the coach of the team of decade.

Heck if Ryan coaches the Jets to a Super Bowl victory he will get a lifetime pass from Jets fans.

Bottom line is that if they Jets can stay healthy and get the Revis situation taken care they along with the Ravens and Colts are going to be the top dogs fighting for that trip to Dallas.

I said I wasnt gonna comment about him anymore. but since you brought it up..lol..I hate Boomer Esiason, so anything he says gets my blood pressure going. this is a guy that was running around in 1994 saying his son was dying. he had an office for his sons charity on the 110th floor of the WTC. that kid is fine, theres nothing wrong with him.

And about Rex, the Jets shouldnt get too high or too low during the season. I have seen this before. when you think your the sh*t and you a bad stretch, the lows get eleventy billion times worse. even keel.

Bro this is in bad taste. Johnny Hector pointed it out already but he is sick. The work Boomer has done for this cause is amazing. The Harley guys would go to the charity events back in the day and they always spoke highly about the fund raising efforts led by Boomer's company.

Bro this is in bad taste. Johnny Hector pointed it out already but he is sick. The work Boomer has done for this cause is amazing. The Harley guys would go to the charity events back in the day and they always spoke highly about the fund raising efforts led by Boomer's company.

As embarrassed and ashamed BP is in Rex Ryan as our HC, I'm equally as embarrassed and ashamed that BP is a mod.

As embarrassed and ashamed BP is in Rex Ryan as our HC, I'm equally as embarrassed and ashamed that BP is a mod.

Make a thread with a poll in it..lol...and if the people speak I will gladly resign ;) JN is a democracy.

Archived