Boomer Esiason: jets could be in for a big fall

Kentucky Jet

Esiason: Jets could be in for big fall

Jets Blog

By JUSTIN TERRANOVA

Enjoy your time on top, Woody Johnson, because it won’t last long — at least according to one former Jets quarterback.

The Jets, New York’s other football team, has been stealing the headlines from the Giants since last season’s run to the AFC Championship Game with the boasts of head coach Rex Ryan landing on plenty of back pages. But the Giants will find their way back on top when Ryan’s Jets inevitably implode, says CBS analyst Boomer Esiason.

“It’s exactly what [Jets owner] Woody Johnson wanted for his team,” Esiason said. “A guy that would separate the New York Jets from the New York Giants and that’s what Rex has done. But my senses tell me that it’s not going to end pretty. It could be three years from now, five years now or 10 years from now.

“He will be walking a tightrope here because when he fails or his team goes into a tailspin there will be immediate backlash. Once that happens, it will be a short stick. Bobby Valentine and Davey Johnson (Mets) were like that and so was Billy Martin (Yankees).”

Ryan’s second season with the Jets will begin Monday night against the Giants at the New Meadowlands Stadium in both team’s preseason opener. This comes after a public battle over which team would play the first regular-season game at the new stadium. A compromise was reached, with the Giants opening the Stadium on Sunday (Sept. 12) afternoon against the Panthers and the Jets playing Monday night against the Ravens. The new stadium is an important part of the Jets’ identity after playing for 25 years at Giants Stadium.

The Jets will put six players, including Joe Namath, into their new Ring of Honor at halftime of the preseason game.

“It’s great to have a fresh new start with a stadium that you spent money to build,” Esiason said. “And right now they have the right guys in place to get the most out of it, assuming they get Darrelle Revis back.”

For the Giants, coming off a disastrous 8-8 season that started with five straight wins, to steal some of those headlines they will have to get through what Esiason calls “by far the toughest division in football.”

“With the Eagles inexplicably trading Donovan McNabb to the Redskins, you now have four legit playoff teams,” Esiason said. “But [Eagles coach] Andy Reid doesn’t make that move unless he knew Kevin Kolb could take over for McNabb.”

If the Giants can topple McNabb’s former and current team, plus the Cowboys, they could start a return to normalcy — the way it was for Esiason when he was raised on Long Island, the way it remained when he came to the Jets to play quarterback in 1993 and the way it was until Ryan burst onto the scene a year ago.

“The Jets, Mets, Islanders, Devils and Nets all reside in the same neighborhood and that’s a second-class neighborhood,” Esiason said. “I knew that when I was younger and certainly when I was traded to the Jets, but I don’t know if that’s necessarily the case right now because there are so many compelling stories coming from the Jets.”

justin.terranova@nypost.com

So basically Boomer went WAAAYYYY out on a limb here and predicted that Rex could get fired sometime in the next 10 years when the team plays poorly...

Bold prediction if you ask me... things like that NEVER happen in the NFL. Ever.

So basically Boomer went WAAAYYYY out on a limb here and predicted that Rex could get fired sometime in the next 10 years when the team plays poorly...

Bold prediction if you ask me... things like that NEVER happen in the NFL. Ever.

Yeah.. no sh*t.

I mean, i saw the title and I thought he was predicting this season, which is something 25 years as a jets fan tells me is almost inevitable. But to predict it sometime in the next 10 years, what a clown.. lol

Seriously, maybe like 1 in 100 coaching jobs end on good terms. (That's being very kind)

Of course it will probably go bad EVENTUALLY, but now? Just enjoy the ******* ride, we're looking good. This dude is just another sad chapter in the sad history of the franchise.

Boomer is one of the biggest hypocritical morons in the history of sports. he also said in 1995 that hiring Rich Kotite was a good move because the Jets would be less cerebral and more physical :rl: well, he got the cerebral right! LMFAO

Boomer is one of the biggest hypocritical morons in the history of sports. he also said in 1995 that hiring Rich Kotite was a good move because the Jets would be less cerebral and more physical :rl: well, he got the cerebral right! LMFAO

Did I just sense a subtle defense of Rex Ryan? Surely not.

:D

Did I just sense a subtle defense of Rex Ryan? Surely not.

:D

I said I wasnt gonna comment about him anymore. but since you brought it up..lol..I hate Boomer Esiason, so anything he says gets my blood pressure going. this is a guy that was running around in 1994 saying his son was dying. he had an office for his sons charity on the 110th floor of the WTC. that kid is fine, theres nothing wrong with him.

And about Rex, the Jets shouldnt get too high or too low during the season. I have seen this before. when you think your the sh*t and you a bad stretch, the lows get eleventy billion times worse. even keel.

Yeah.. no sh*t.

I mean, i saw the title and I thought he was predicting this season, which is something 25 years as a jets fan tells me is almost inevitable. But to predict it sometime in the next 10 years, what a clown.. lol

LOL. Very true.

It rarely ends well for any HC. It didn't end well for Dungy and Cowher and it won't end well for Belichick either. That's the nature of the NFL.

Boomer-damus has warned us!!!

Wait so everyone will turn against him when the JETS go into a tailspin or lose a few games?

Did he miss last season?

Rex was counting the JETS out of the playoffs before the season was even over... most people still liked the direction they were heading.

.I hate Boomer Esiason, so anything he says gets my blood pressure going. this is a guy that was running around in 1994 saying his son was dying. he had an office for his sons charity on the 110th floor of the WTC. that kid is fine, theres nothing wrong with him

Say what you will about Boomer as a person, but cystic fibrosis is a legitimate, incurable, genetic disorder. His son may be living what appears to be the normal life of a college-bound kid, but I'm fairly certain he still needs regular treatments. The disease will get progressively worse into early adulthood, at which time I'm sure he will be far more likely to receive a transplant than the average Joe, but that's how things go...

Even with the life expectancy for someone with CF doubling in the last 25 or so years, the average male will not reach 40 years of age without a lung transplant. I would say that the awareness and money raised as a result of that SI article has had something to do with the improved prognosis.

I am only familiar with this subject, after my son's newborn screening came back with markers for CF. Thankfully, after several ambiguous test results and a twelve-week wait, he came back as only being a carrier. Having done plenty of research during that time, I figured it was my duty to mention how moronic and uninformed your post was...

I said I wasnt gonna comment about him anymore. but since you brought it up..lol..I hate Boomer Esiason, so anything he says gets my blood pressure going. this is a guy that was running around in 1994 saying his son was dying. he had an office for his sons charity on the 110th floor of the WTC. that kid is fine, theres nothing wrong with him.

And about Rex, the Jets shouldnt get too high or too low during the season. I have seen this before. when you think your the sh*t and you a bad stretch, the lows get eleventy billion times worse. even keel.

Damn BP, that's kinda cold ragging on the kid having a deadly illness. At the time Gunnar was diagnosed with CF the life expectancy for those carrying it was 18 years old. Medical research has now increased that to 36. Just sayin'

Say what you will about Boomer as a person, but cystic fibrosis is a legitimate, incurable, genetic disorder. His son may be living what appears to be the normal life of a college-bound kid, but I'm fairly certain he still needs regular treatments. The disease will get progressively worse into early adulthood, at which time I'm sure he will be far more likely to receive a transplant than the average Joe, but that's how things go...

Even with the life expectancy for someone with CF doubling in the last 25 or so years, the average male will not reach 40 years of age without a lung transplant. I would say that the awareness and money raised as a result of that SI article has had something to do with the improved prognosis.

I am only familiar with this subject, after my son's newborn screening came back with markers for CF. Thankfully, after several ambiguous test results and a twelve-week wait, he came back as only being a carrier. Having done plenty of research during that time, I figured it was my duty to mention how moronic and uninformed your post was...

Good post.

A buddy of mine who I've known for over ten years found out his youngest son has CF so I've talked to him enough about it to know they've made great strides but still have a long way to go.

My post was strictly directed at Boomers love for the spot light, and using his son's illness to get it. I'm not ragging on the illness. I'm glad your son is ok.

My post was strictly directed at Boomers love for the spot light, and using his son's illness to get it. I'm not ragging on the illness. I'm glad your son is ok.

Again, Boomer bringing the disease into the spotlight, regardless of his motives, has done a lot of good for others.

You did also state, with regard to his son, that "there's nothing wrong with him"...

Again, Boomer bringing the disease into the spotlight, regardless of his motives, has done a lot of good for others.

You did also state, with regard to his son, that "there's nothing wrong with him"...

I havent heard much about his son being ill recently, have you?

I like Boomer alot. I have nothing but respect for him and his opinions but come on. Thats a bad job by him.

Pay it no mind. Boomer gives little love to the Bengals too, and he took us to the Super Bowl. It's hard to figure this dude out.

I havent heard much about his son being ill recently, have you?

ESPN did this E:60 piece a few years ago, when he was 16:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2oBtveXP5o

Here is a more recent article, from April, that ran in the Boston Globe:

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/family/articles/2010/04/24/gunnar_esiason_and_his_famous_father_take_on_cystic_fibrosis/

CHESTNUT HILL — Seventeen years ago, could Boomer Esiason have imagined that he’d be visiting his son Gunnar at college someday? It’s a fair question, one that Esiason, the former NFL quarterback-turned-broadcaster, doesn’t hesitate to tackle.

“Yup, I did imagine it,’’ he says, smiling in Gunnar’s direction. “And I hope I’m a small part of making that happen, not only for Gunnar but for all kids like him.’’

Now a Boston College freshman, Gunnar, 19, was diagnosed at age 2 with cystic fibrosis, an incurable genetic disorder. Primarily affecting the lungs, CF’s symptoms include persistent coughing, shortness of breath, and vulnerability to infection. Those afflicted with CF must undergo frequent treatments to keep their airways open and mucus-free. Not long ago, life expectancy for CF sufferers was less than 20 years.

Thanks in no small part to the Esiasons, that number has nearly doubled over the past decade. The Boomer Esiason Foundation recently passed the $80 million mark in funds raised for CF research and assists young CF sufferers like Gunnar to lead fuller lives through scholarships and other support services.

From the WEEI-AM (850) airwaves, where he appears as a weekly guest during football season, to his CBS post, where he ranks among pro football’s most astute (and outspoken) analysts, Boomer has leveraged his celebrity in just about every way possible to promote awareness of CF. On a scale of 1 to 10, he registers about a 15 on the athlete-supports-worthy-cause meter. What motivates him? The answer sits four feet away in BC’s Alumni Stadium, where father and son agreed to a joint interview on a recent morning.

“My goal is for Gunnar to outlive me,’’ says Boomer, 49, who might be the proudest dad you’ll find among BC’s Class of 2013 parent pool. “That’s the way it should be. My dream is for him to be a dad himself one day, so he can find out all the anxiety that kids bring to their dads.’’

But sending Gunnar off to college? That, he admits, was “anxiety-ridden’’ for both parents. “You can imagine what a dorm room environment is to a CF parent. It’s like, oh my God. It’s crazy.’’

The Esiasons agreeing to an interview, their first on campus since Gunnar arrived at the Heights last fall, underscores their commitment to put a positive face on the disease and its effect on families.

In 1993, Boomer was playing for the New York Jets when Gunnar was diagnosed with CF. Soon after, the two graced the cover of Sports Illustrated. It was a clear signal they’d be waging a very visible campaign against a deadly disease that afflicts some 30,000 Americans. And so they have.

Gunnar would graduate from Friends Academy on Long Island, where he played ice hockey and football, winning the 2008 12th Man Award from the New York State High School Football Association for overcoming “serious physical injury or disability’’ to contribute to his team’s success.

Boomer, who’d been a communications major at the University of Maryland, would slide smoothly into the broadcast booth once his NFL career ended in 1997. (His first internship, at a Baltimore TV station, brought him elbow to elbow with a young lifestyle reporter named Oprah Winfrey.)

As Gunnar grew older, the Esiasons began forging close ties with Boston and BC, primarily through Boomer’s WEEI connection. Being a world-class medical hub didn’t hurt, either. Gunnar got excited about BC while in 10th grade, he recalls, explaining that he wanted “a medium-size school with great academics and sports, and where if something did go wrong, I could get medical help.’’

According to Suzy Conway, BC’s assistant dean for students with disabilities, the school currently has “a few’’ students with CF, stressing that each is approached individually in accommodating their academic and personal needs.

“Every student is different,’’ Conway says, “even if they share the same disability others have.’’

Moving into a college dorm was still a huge step for a teenager coping with CF. Away or home, Gunnar adheres to a strict regimen of two hour-long treatment sessions daily. Every morning and night, he clears his lungs using a nebulizer and special vibrating vest that helps loosen excess chest mucus.

Also suffering from exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, a secondary condition often associated with CF, he swallows 45 pills per day, taking a dozen or so before each meal or snack. Without supplementary enzymes, Gunnar could not absorb food normally and would be vulnerable to malnutrition.

“The one positive to having CF is, you can eat whatever you want, especially fast food, and put zero weight on,’’ Gunnar half-jokes.

Says Boomer, “CF patients are constantly excreting salt. If you licked Gunnar, he’d taste like a salt block.’’

All joking aside, Gunnar says his roommate has gotten used to his treatment regimen — every piece of equipment must be carefully cleaned and sterilized — and that most other students, if they even know he has CF, don’t pay much attention to his disability.

Boomer gives BC high marks for helping students like his son live normal campus lives.

“They talk to parents, but they don’t really want parents to be part of this,’’ he says. “They want us out of his life so he can start living on his own.’’ Pause. “Which has been really hard for us,’’ with a head shake and a laugh.

Hard, too, has been Boomer’s struggle to get his foundation back on its feet after 9/11. A decade ago, its offices moved into space provided by the investment firm Cantor Fitzgerald at One World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan. All foundation records were obliterated in the terrorist attack. On a personal level, Boomer lost not only his best friend, Tim O’Brien, a Cantor Fitzgerald trader, but hundreds of Cantor supporters as well. It took nearly two years to recover from the emotional shock, he admits. He remains extremely close to many 9/11 families, especially the O’Briens.

Gunnar has yet to pick a major at BC, expressing interest at this stage in English and political science. This summer, he’ll intern at the foundation’s new headquarters in New York’s Hell’s Kitchen neighborhood, where he’s supposed to come up with a plan to tie next year’s Boston Marathon to CF awareness. “We’re hoping to do something special for CF kids at BC while he’s here,’’ Boomer says. “Our family has good insurance. We can afford to pay for school. A lot of kids in Gunnar’s shoes can’t.’’

Again, while he might not be bed-ridden, this disease affects his life on a daily basis and without a lung transplant, will eventually kill him.

ESPN did this E:60 piece a few years ago, when he was 16:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2oBtveXP5o

Here is a more recent article, from April, that ran in the Boston Globe:

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/family/articles/2010/04/24/gunnar_esiason_and_his_famous_father_take_on_cystic_fibrosis/

Again, while he might not be bed-ridden, this disease affects his life on a daily basis and without a lung transplant, will eventually kill him.

Dayum, I guess what I said was stupid. thanks for enlightening me on the subject.

Unbelievable.

Yes Boomer. Rex will get fired someday. Every coach does. Unreal.

I went to HS and college with a great kid who had CF. Never compained. That was 40 years ago--no transplants back then, I don't think. He made it through freshman year of college, and died over the summer. Boomer's kid is probably doing well because of medical advances, but also because he has the money and works like a dog to make it. i say good for him. He did not say anything out of line here. He often states the obvious. I don't get why you are ragging on his son's illness though. That is crass.

I don't even really understand this article. Jets are in for a big fall because.... they might do bad? WTF? So, does that mean the Saints and Colts are in for a big fall too? LOL

Yeah, I'm lost as well. Its kind of like me writing a thread about how nice my life seems right now, but I shouldnt get too excited because I'm going to die someday. lol

I had this quoted immediately, but saw that you retracted your words. CF is for real. There is a huge foundation in town that I'm involved with...a lot of young professionals do year round fund raising that ends with a huge formal fundraising party. Good times for good cause. That disease is very serious.

Archived