Wow, Kevin O'Connell has a torn labrum (in throwing shoulder).

ARodJetsFan

Guess this explains why he looked so bad this pre-season.

Free agent Kevin O'Connell found out after being waived by the Jets that he has a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder.

The injury will require surgery and knock O'Connell out of consideration for teams this season. The 94th pick in the 2008 draft, O'Connell was acquired by the Jets in September of 2009 as a possible long-term backup. He showed poorly in 2010 camp, which may be partially attributable to the injury.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/news.aspx?sport=NFL

... i would think if the jets knew this before cutting him the players association would have some sort of protections for him to make the jets pay for his surgery bills ... anyone know if this is true? ... or if nfl is that cutthroat? ...

he found out about it after he was cut

he found out about it after he was cut

... my point is it seems pretty convenient for the jets that they didn't find anything with their doctors about his shoulder ... but when he went for a 2nd opinion on his own they found a major injury sitting in there ...

l_j_r

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/09/jets_lose_confidence_in_rookie.html

Quarterback Kevin O’Connell, who was waived by the Jets Tuesday, found out after being cut that he has a torn labrum in his throwing arm, according to a person with direct knowledge of what O’Connell was told in a follow-up exam.

That person requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak for O’Connell.

O’Connell sustained the injury during the preseason, the person said. After being cut, he sought a second opinion on his right shoulder and learned he has a torn labrum, an injury which requires surgery and months of rehab.

The third-year player was shown being waived in Episode 4 of Hard Knocks, told by general manager Mike Tannenbaum he had not progressed as they had hoped he would to be the team’s long-term No. 2. He would now be due an injury settlement.

The Jets do not confirm injury information for players not on the roster, a team spokesman said.

Gee, maybe he should have seen a doctor at some point this summer.

He did. The Jets medical staff. They said he was fine. They lied...or are incompetant. If I were you, I'd hope for "lie."

Football is a brutal business. The players are literally commodities being traded, poked, prodded and used. Some get paid handsomely - most do not (and lets be serious, the league minimum is still a lot for us "common" folk). Still, us common folks have a longer career span than four years. Most of us (exluding the GOB's of the world, firefighters, military)don't risk bodily injury everyday.

I can see ownerships side too. You are in business to make money. That is why these folks have a lot of it. They provide a service - and produce a product - unique for sure. The issue is that the product consists of human beings and the service is provided by human beings. People have feelings. Things can become personal even when they are not.

If I were the Jets I'd pay his surgery bills and invite him to camp next year.

If you saw enough promise to keep him this long, then find out his arm was hurt, I sure would like to take a look-see next year before I closed the book on him. More than one NFL team had their eye on this guy coming out of college.

If I were the Jets I'd pay his surgery bills and invite him to camp next year.

If you stuck with the kid this long, (over a year so far), and you still see promise, then find out his arm was hurt, I sure would like to take a look-see next year before I closed the book on him. More than one NFL team had their eye on this guy coming out of college.

All they need to do is sign him and put him on the IR. They'd have to pay him too though.

In that case, I think that is what the Jets should do.

I would pay for his surgery and cause he seems a nice guy Tanny should offer him a job cleaning the crappers at the Training facility.

If he stays for 20 years he would have decent medical and a pension from jets Janitorial staff.

He did. The Jets medical staff. They said he was fine. They lied...or are incompetant. If I were you, I'd hope for "lie."

Football is a brutal business. The players are literally commodities being traded, poked, prodded and used. Some get paid handsomely - most do not (and lets be serious, the league minimum is still a lot for us "common" folk). Still, us common folks have a longer career span than four years. Most of us (exluding the GOB's of the world, firefighters, military)don't risk bodily injury everyday.

I can see ownerships side too. You are in business to make money. That is why these folks have a lot of it. They provide a service - and produce a product - unique for sure. The issue is that the product consists of human beings and the service is provided by human beings. People have feelings. Things can become personal even when they are not.

incompetant

Spelling used by douches who enjoy taking the focus off their intended target and onto their inadequacies in spelling a word about inadequacy. Generally said person will also use words such as "useless", "stupid", "idiot", and "retard" in the same sentence, providing listeners with a wider description of the writer.

I hate my job, im managed by incompetant idiots who are too stupid to see my talent, and theyre useless retards, unlike me

Archived