Ed Reed will NOT play week 1

Ghost

Ed Reed will miss the first six weeks of the season

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 3, 2010 8:11 PM ET

The Steelers will be without their best offensive player for the first four weeks of the season, so it's only fair their AFC North rivals will be without their best defensive player for the first six weeks.

NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports Ed Reed will be placed on the reserve/PUP list, knocking him out for the first six weeks of the season. The Ravens don't have a bye until Week Eight.

The news comes as something of a surprise after recent reports that Reed wanted to get back on the field soon. But the Ravens will play it safe, aiming for their All Pro safety to be fully healthy for the stretch run. Tom Zbikowski should take Reed's spot in the starting lineup.

Hopefully with Reed out, Sanchez can find some holes in the Baltimore Defense.

It is funny the media was saying that he may go on the PUP list. And that he may also play in week one. Generally if you think a player may be out up to 6 weeks, he is out week 1 either way. So even if he wasn't PUP'ed he wasn't going to play week 1.

It is funny the media was saying that he may go on the PUP list. And that he may also play in week one. Generally if you think a player may be out up to 6 weeks, he is out week 1 either way. So even if he wasn't PUP'ed he wasn't going to play week 1.

even field.no revis.no reed

It isn't just about having a deep threat to counter a bad secondary. JCO is great at route running and I imagine he's going to be able to generate some space.

The big upside to it is that if we prove to be enough of a threat in the air, we can carve them up with the run game if we make them defend against the pass.

I wouldn't count on getting significant running lanes against the Ravens front 7.

I just don't think that's going to happen routinely. That's why having at least some semblence of a downfield threat is going to be critically important in this game.

I wouldn't count on getting significant running lanes against the Ravens front 7.

I just don't think that's going to happen routinely. That's why having at least some semblence of a downfield threat is going to be critically important in this game.

Yeah, I realize they are very good. It's just that no matter how bad a team's secondary is we have not demonstrated an ability to be a pass happy offense yet. That, and our O-line hasn't exactly been lights out this preseason. Running is going to be a key factor in this game. We've seen the team's MO last year and it's that we'll do our best (plays) and we can beat you with it even if you know it's coming.

Archived