Good News for out of market fans

greeniemeanie

I am not sure if anyone was aware of this, but DirecTV has begun offering the Sunday Ticket as an online only service. This means that you can get all the games streaming online in HD quality, even if you don't get DirecTV. They also give you the ability to watch games streaming on your smartphone. The price is a bit steep compared to other sports leagues season subscriptions ($350 per season), but it still gives you the ability to watch the Jets.

You can start signing up on September 9th, 2010 (Next Wednesday).

More info available below:

Sunday Ticket To Go

DirecTV Sunday Ticket To Go FAQ

I thought this is for households who are unable to receive DirecTv's signal. You can also get games online with the DirecTv package, but online-only is limited AFAIK.

I will have to confirm, but I believe that DirecTV has absolutely zero authority to access the information required to make such a determination. Not only that, but it appears that on DirecTV's own website there is some ambiguity to whether that is indeed true or not.

My overall take on this is that it is possible to get the online service, and DirecTV would have to have access to a lot of information that they have no legal right to obtain in order to make a determination as to if you can or cannot get their Satellite service.

Simply put, if you call them and order the online service only simply tell them that DirecTV is not an option for you. At that point, they have zero right to ask you for more information. You can tell them that the owner of your residence will not allow it. Even if you are the owner, they really have no right to dig deeper.

I will order it on Wednesday and let everyone know how it went. I don't foresee any issues arising.

^^^^^^^^^^

The report I heard on CNBC said that they have the ability to determine whether satellite line of sight exists. I can see them wanting to expand NFL subscriptions but, on the other hand, they do not want to cannibalize their core business. NFL is the only unique hook DirecTv has, so I would think they want to require a DirecTv subscription wherever possible rather than give it away to potential customers. This was the crux of the discussion on the CNBC report, as it was on a business/investment show.

Jets play 5 of their 16 games on primetime... So that's 350 for 11 games max... Not to mention that you can still usually catch a few more throughout the season.

I'd rather spend 8-11 days at a sportsbar

I really don't enjoy watching games at bars. I'm just not that fun to be around when the Patriots are on, and I'm not very sociable (I'm glued to the screen). At bars, especially if they are not New England-themed, sound can often be an issue. Add on the additional expense of food and drink...

I really don't enjoy watching games at bars. I'm just not that fun to be around when the Patriots are on, and I'm not very sociable (I'm glued to the screen). At bars, especially if they are not New England-themed, sound can often be an issue. Add on the additional expense of food and drink...

Granted I don't drink, so that expense is obviously a lot lower for me. You'd have to spend ~$32 per game at the sports bar just to equal your DirecTV payment for that game. That is a fair bit of money to go through in roughly three hours. The question really is whether it's worth it to spend the same or more money to get what might be a more comfortable experience over going elsewhere for potentially cheaper and getting food etc too. Depends on the person I suppose, but I'll take my non-drinking a$$ to the bar!

^^^^^^^^^^

The report I heard on CNBC said that they have the ability to determine whether satellite line of sight exists. I can see them wanting to expand NFL subscriptions but, on the other hand, they do not want to cannibalize their core business. NFL is the only unique hook DirecTv has, so I would think they want to require a DirecTv subscription wherever possible rather than give it away to potential customers. This was the crux of the discussion on the CNBC report, as it was on a business/investment show.

Line of site is only possible to determine with a site survey, which requires a local tech to show up. That could prove to be very cost prohibitive for a company. The one thing that CNBC failed to mention was that LOS is not the only factor in determining the end users ability to obtain the service. There exists the entire landlord tenant laws of each state that come into play. Ultimately, DirecTV starts treading in dark water the moment that it offers the online content. Once the online product is offered as an additional service, DirecTV falls into the arena of information technology. The IT industry does not have the rules and regulations set upon it such as that of broadcast radio, television, and satellite service.

Being that the market is determined more freely, I am pretty confident in saying that the following probably happened:

DirecTV wanted to offer a product that they were obligated to do so in the contract with the NFL, except they had an additional year and a half to offer the product.

DirecTV's investors, saw an opportunity to capture a share in a market that the entire NFL had been unable to acquire.

DirecTV decides to offer an online product to existing subscribers, and to get a little more of a share in the market, they offer the service to "people who cannot get satellite service"

DirecTV soon realizes that many of the ridiculous protections that are afforded to it through FCC rules and regulations, are not applicable online.

DirecTV is then forced to open the online content to all online customers in the US because enforcement of its current policy would neither be enforceable nor legal.

DirecTV makes no attempt to clarify what they are offering through any medium, thus trying to avoid the cannibalization of its very own subscriber base.

I believe all of this will be clear once the season starts. I don't think it would be too crazy to think that a major corporation/service provider made a mistake while trying to increase profits.

I also understand a lot of peoples take on the price of the product. I agree it is a lot. While I don't condone sharing copyrighted material, I am not against viewing it (there is no law against that), therefore I can say that I have not missed a single Jet's game without DirecTV for the past four years. There are always sources available online for viewing for free.

My point is that I like the delivery of HD content being possible. I have been a subscriber to MLB.tv for the past 6 years and I think it is a great product. If you can setup a HTPC (Home Theatre personal Computer) connected to your HDTV like I have, you end up with HD games with dolby surround for peanuts compared to what you pay otherwise. If you know what you are doing, you can also stream the games wirelessly anywhere in your house.

I just like the functionality of the online delivery over the traditional means. The company that I run is currently working with a third party in providing HDTV service wirelessly at apartment complexes, shopping malls, and the like.

Online content delivery is the direction in which everything is heading. It's about time the NFL/DirecTV offered it to the residents of the US.

Jets play 5 of their 16 games on primetime... So that's 350 for 11 games max... Not to mention that you can still usually catch a few more throughout the season.

I'd rather spend 8-11 days at a sportsbar

Sportsbars are full of beer and hot wings. What an awful place to go. 350 dollars a year to avoid that nightmare is a bargain.

Granted I don't drink, so that expense is obviously a lot lower for me. You'd have to spend ~$32 per game at the sports bar just to equal your DirecTV payment for that game. That is a fair bit of money to go through in roughly three hours. The question really is whether it's worth it to spend the same or more money to get what might be a more comfortable experience over going elsewhere for potentially cheaper and getting food etc too. Depends on the person I suppose, but I'll take my non-drinking a$$ to the bar!

I with you, I do the bar scene.

I do drink, just not heavily typically 2 beers. I spend approximately $20 bucks per Sunday at the sports bar between beer, food and tip. I figure I spend about $7 on snacks and beer when I stay at home. So actual cost of going to the bar is only about $13 or less than half your $32 figure.

Plus I like the bar, sometime I even go if the game is on locally.

Note about Sunday directticket. Particularly note the word Sunday. It doesn't include NFLN so you won't be getting the Thursday night games, including Cin @ Jets on Thanksgiving, unless you have NFLN thru cable.

I with you, I do the bar scene.

I do drink, just not heavily typically 2 beers. I spend approximately $20 bucks per Sunday at the sports bar between beer, food and tip. I figure I spend about $7 on snacks and beer when I stay at home. So actual cost of going to the bar is only about $13 or less than half your $32 figure.

Plus I like the bar, sometime I even go if the game is on locally.

Note about Sunday directticket. Particularly note the word Sunday. It doesn't include NFLN so you won't be getting the Thursday night games, including Cin @ Jets on Thanksgiving, unless you have NFLN thru cable.

I believe you can watch the games online that are broadcast on NFLN. As far as the sportsbar thing goes. I love going, but I have to say it does get a bit lame where I live now. When I lived in Florida it was great going to the sports bars. There were fans there from pretty much every team. Here in Minnesota, there are a bunch of Vikings and Packer fans. The sports bars here are simply not very good. If you factor in the whole being a Dad thing, it gets to be quite a pain in the a$$ to head to the sports bar. I'd rather stay at home, invite a few friends over. Cook the food myself, and watch and listen to the games that I want to. Not to mention, My Sunday menu is always better than anything you can get at most sports bars. Instead of eating only wings, I'm usually enjoying some filet mignon, spicy garlic buffalo wings, and quesadillas that I make better than any of the bars anyway.

Different strokes...

It's just nice to have options, which this Sunday Ticket to go gives you.

just my $.02

Archived