David PRice: 2.75 ERA, 17-6 record, 186.2 innings, 167 K, 1.205 WHIP, 152 ERA+

Clifford Lee: 3.28 ERA, 11-8 record, 192.1 innigs, 166 K, 1.009 WHIP, 127 ERA+

Sabathia: 3.03 ERA, 19-6 record, 217 innings, 179 K, 1.184 WHIP, 131 ERA+

Buccholz: 2.53 ERA, 15-7 record, 152.2 innings, 104 K, 1.238 WHIP, 172 ERA+

King Felix: 2.39 ERA, 11-11 record, 225.2 innings, 214 K, 1.095 WHIP, 168 ERA+

Trevor Cahill: 2.61 ERA, 16-6 record, 179.2 innings, 98 K, 1.054 WHIP, 156 ERA+

wonder who will win

Felix Hernandez ftmfw.

It will be interesting to see if he voters continue last year's renaissance.

King Felix is 1st in ERA and 3rd in WHIP (Greinke was 1st in both) and barely holding onto Top 20 in wins.

Do you judge on wins? CC is 1st, but 6th in ERA.

WHIP? Lee is 1st, but barely holding onto 10th in ERA and way down on wins.

ERA? King Felix, but he is barely top 20 in wins.

Ks? King Felix.

King Felix should win it, but probably between CC and Clay.

Then he'll remain underrated until his day comes.

If Boston makes a big move for a bat this offseason ...probably preferably an OF (*cough*Beltran*cough*)...then the 2011 race in the AL East will be even more crazy than this year.

The Red Sox are 2nd in runs this year. They need to figure out the Beltre/Martinez/Ortiz situations before looking for any other upgrades. And no, Beltran should NOT be on their radar.

They also need to figure out the bullpen as well as hope Lackey and Beckett bounce back. The offense was not the problem. Injuries and being in the AL East was the culprit of missing the playoffs.

The Red Sox are 2nd in runs this year.

You keep convincing yourself that that lineup is built to be 2nd in runs year after year. I'm sure it's consoling to think, but that OF sucks. Considering how loaded you guys are with pitching and unproven prospects, it should be relatively easy for you to acquire a talented bat.

Imagine a Red Sox lineup that looked something like this:

Pedroia

Youk

Beltran

Ortiz

Martinez

Beltre

Drew

Cameron

Scutaro

My guess is that that scare the Yankees and Rays quite a bit more than whatever you're trotting out nowadays.

No doubt this year's Sox team isn't bad...It's just that they're not what you think of when you think Red Sox lineup.

I do agree that Lackey and Beckett are musts to be taken seriously again, but that should happen. I'd count on them rebounding and pitching more like Lackey and Beckett than I would this year's lineup throwing up 2nd in runs scored again.

You keep convincing yourself that that lineup is built to be 2nd in runs year after year. I'm sure it's consoling to think, but that OF sucks. Considering how loaded you guys are with pitching and unproven prospects, it should be relatively easy for you to acquire a talented bat.

Pedroia

Youk

Beltran

Ortiz

Martinez

Beltre

Drew

Cameron

Scutaro

My guess is that that scare the Yankees and Rays quite a bit more than whatever you're trotting out nowadays.

No doubt this year's Sox team isn't bad...It's just that they're not what you think of when you think Red Sox lineup.

I do agree that Lackey and Beckett are musts to be taken seriously again, but that should happen. I'd count on them rebounding and pitching more like Lackey and Beckett than I would this year's lineup throwing up 2nd in runs scored again.

They should be trying to beat the Yankees, not attempting to put together a lineup that's even older...

Pedroia

Youk

Beltran

Ortiz

Martinez

Beltre

Drew

Cameron

Scutaro

That line-up is not ideal at all. Pedroia is not a lead off guy. Youk hitting 2nd? Really? I wouldn't want Beltran, nonetheless in the three hole. Just awful. The OF might need an upgrade, but Beltran isn't it.

Let's see how they handle their own guys first. I don't see them wanting to get older though.

That line-up is not ideal at all. Pedroia is not a lead off guy. Youk hitting 2nd? Really? I wouldn't want Beltran, nonetheless in the three hole. Just awful. The OF might need an upgrade, but Beltran isn't it.

Let's see how they handle their own guys first. I don't see them wanting to get older though.

...You can't just ignore that Beltran's on a one year deal. That's why this works so well for the Red Sox, who can easily afford a big one year deal on a high end player.

They'd have to pay that for Crawford anyway, and he plays LF...That's just not a good fit. LF is a purely offensive spot for the Red Sox because that wall makes it a fairly easy place to play D if given to a competent mind. Crawford's biggest plus is speed, which Ellsbury already brings, and his next biggest plus is his defense. I think he's also said he prefers to stay in LF. I think they'd be forced to overpay even more than anyone else will be overpaying.

Beltran would give them a veteran switch hitting center fielder who can hit anywhere from 2-5 on a high end lineup. That's kind of worth one 18 million dollar gamble if you have the money to make it. The injury only means that you can probably pay less...

Also, that lineup would be old, but nasty. That's a good thing because the farm system's high end position players after Kalish are at the lower levels. The Red Sox even took Beltran's nephew in the first round last year...*READ THE SIGNS* :blink:...Reymond Fuentes look it up...he sounds exactly like his uncle did back when he was a prospect and in a couple years could be one of the best CF prospects in baseball.

Oh and however it's constructed...that lineup >>>>>> This year's lineup. Cameron doesn't even have to be there in '11 because he's signed to a pretty decent deal (7.25) if some rich team is looking for a veteran who can play the OF (just not CF that well anymore) and hit for power. Hide Reddick in there and let him get ABs in a good lineup to get his trade value up or let Kalish fight him in 2012.

I think the Sox will be players for Carl Crawford, though I think he'll eventually land with the Angels, but here's what Crawford would look like in the Sox lineup.

1. Crawford LF

2. Pedroia 2B

3. Martinez C

4. Youkilis 1B

5. Ortiz DH

6. Beltre 3B

7. Drew RF

8. Cameron CF

9. Scutaro SS

18 million is too much. Beltran is too old. he wouldn't survive Fenway's CF. He's not coming to Boston.

Get over it. The argument is tired. It's not going to happen. Not with Cameron and Drews salary and Ellsbury being relatively cheap.

Fenway CF is not harder than Citi CF. Citifield is cavernous...Fenway isn't...Beltran would thrive in a smaller CF.

Also, can't say it's not going to happen when the season's not even over. I think it's a far stronger rumor and possibility than you think it is. Less of one than I make it seem, but to think the idea is absurd seems absurd in itself. You know as well as I do that the Red Sox could afford it...I notice you give no counterpoints besides money...and if you know about your farm system you know what I say about it is true.

I think the Red Sox are the type of organization with the balls to do something like this. They'd instantly be a contender for the division crown and the WR again next year.

Fact of the matter is that a healthy Beltran is one of the 10 or so best position players in baseball. Even this season when he's coming off injury he's maintaining a 29/36 BB/K ratio at the plate, hitting doubles, showing speed, and generally looking healthy. To think the Red Sox just straight up wouldn't be interested if he was available seems impossible...That OF is easily the most upgradeable part of the team. If you think they'd be happy to go in with a Cameron/Ellsbury/Drew OF with a couple rookies in the minors waiting then you've really got another thing coming...

Pedroia

Youk

Beltran

Ortiz

Martinez

Beltre

Drew

Cameron

Scutaro

according to Crazy Carl, Jason Bay's stats in Queens would be equal this year to him playing in Fenway.....so for what it's worth try not to argue with him

and Lackey has 11 losses with that great lineup...doh

I think the Sox will be players for Carl Crawford, though I think he'll eventually land with the Angels, but here's what Crawford would look like in the Sox lineup.

1. Crawford LF

2. Pedroia 2B

3. Martinez C

4. Youkilis 1B

5. Ortiz DH

6. Beltre 3B

7. Drew RF

8. Cameron CF

9. Scutaro SS

Anyone with money is a player for Crawford. The difference is that Crawford in Fenway is kind of a waste unless he accepted a move to CF or even RF. A good amount of his value goes into his ability to play LF better than anyone in baseball...That's kind of a waste with a 50 foot wall about 20 feet behind you. It's a complete waste of range...also, he hates hitting leadoff...His improving power/speed combo would work extremely well in someone's 3 hole.

I agree that he ends up in Anaheim...I think Oakland is a sleeper too. He's the perfect kind of player for Oakland's LF...San Francisco too...

according to Crazy Carl, Jason Bay's stats in Queens would be equal this year to him playing in Fenway.....so for what it's worth try not to argue with him

and Lackey has 11 losses with that great lineup...doh

Jason Bay wasn't great in Queens. Everyone knew that was going to happen, except Bay and the Mets. The Red Sox are still 2nd in runs without him.

John Lackey has 11 losses because he hasn't pitched very well.

the Red Sox would score a lot more runs if you replace Mike Cameron/Darnell Mcdonald with Jason Bay

and they had the money to pay him but chose not to.

I hope you really do enjoy being in 3rd place with the moves Theo made (and didn't make in terms of J Bay) because if I were a Sawx fan I'd be pissed!

the Red Sox would score a lot more runs if you replace Mike Cameron/Darnell Mcdonald with Jason Bay

and they had the money to pay him but chose not to.

I hope you really do enjoy being in 3rd place with the moves Theo made (and didn't make in terms of J Bay) because if I were a Sawx fan I'd be pissed!

The moves Theo made were fine. Can't blame him for injuries. The bullpen was the Sox weakness, not the line-up.

I thought it was pretty smart of them to not resign Bay. He was going to get too much money and he's not a franchise type player...More of a complimentary piece...and not even as good a complimentary piece as Drew was when they signed him. I don't think they spend big money on LF unless a bat comes around that they absolutely must have.

Lester dominates the Yankees. Has a chance for 20 wins. Has better stats than CC.... will be itneresting.

It's just not going to be his year...This is fine because Lester is pretty full of truth and should be one of the perennial contenders in the league.

Out of the big 3 lefties in the division he's the hardest to hit, he gets the most K's, and he's got their kind of control. If Lester isn't the best LHP in baseball at some point in the next 5 years I'll be shocked.

Archived