Please fire or demote Shotty, Thank You.

ECURB

Fire Shotty?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Should the JETS fire or demote Shotty?

• Yes
    • No

Boy, if only there was a way for coaching to guarantee play execution on game day...Oh that's right...there isn't...players determine that.

After my senior year in HS one of the kids in my graduating class asked me to teach his brother how to pitch. His brother was somewhat talented...talented enough to play HS ball at least...so I decided to do it. I put this kid on a diet, I gave him some workouts to work on his core strength, threw a ton of long toss, tried to teach him to follow through his throws so he got proper extension, worked on spotting the ball to all quadrants, and all that little stuff. When we worked the kid looked good. He worked on using his body and legs better and basically, you saw conscious effort lead to positive results. I finally let him on the mound to throw to a couple friends and myself. He started off alright as I only made truly hard contact maybe twice...same for one of his friends, who he actually managed to strike out. One of my friends was an a$$hole about it, and decided to really swing the bat balls out. First pitch...rocked. OK cool...try again. 2nd pitch...rocked. 3rd pitch...rocked. Frustration started setting into my pupil, and mechanics started falling apart. He wanted to just blow it by my friend, who kept swinging away because there's no shot of this kid blowing it past him like that.

It wasn't a real game, but we learned that all that work could still be undone after a bout with frustration. Stuff like that happens in sports. If it was half as easy as you guys try to paint it to be, then the Jets wouldn't be 40+ years without a Super Bowl and that kid could have thrown at least one pitch past Mr Showoff.

Nice story.. probably get your balls busted for it, but I'm always shocked how little players emotional states are considered when analyzing this stuff. Believe it or not, money isn't near as much the motivator you think it would be based on countless studies. These guys aren't robots, and one thing I can say is that Sanchez seems to be highly emotional, rides the wave up when things are going good and comes crashing down when not. He's gotta get over that a bit, but it's tough when you know for a fact that this year is our sad sack team's best chance at a SB and if we don't win it, it'll probably be because of him

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Sanchez isn't a good variable as he was a rookie with a ridiculously low amount of experience. Also as per Aten, worse QB ever.

I understand my point is more so, if you are going to knock him for his QB's throwing picks, then dont you have to give him credit for helping him bring that number down?

TBH...luck.

Maybe, he's had quite a few dropped.

The season isn't over yet.

You've been quite the optimist in recent days.

Then how do you explain Sanchez significantly improving on last year INT totals?

It would have been practically impossible to duplicate them, even for El Minero. Also, luck.

The more operative and disquieting question is why his completion percentage and YPA have actually gotten worse.

I understand my point is more so, if you are going to knock him for his QB's throwing picks, then dont you have to give him credit for helping him bring that number down?

Maybe, he's had quite a few dropped.

You've been quite the optimist in recent days.

I mean. Yea, it's better than last year. Let the entire year play out. Remember that 5 TD game against the Cardinals? ZOMG OUR OFFENSE IS AWESOME. Then... yea. Remember, this means nothing.

/tx'd

It would have been practically impossible to duplicate them, even for El Minero. Also, luck.

The more operative and disquieting question is why his completion percentage and YPA have actually gotten worse.

True. Especially considering he's got the check down option in LT. Maybe cuz's his attempts are up. Or maybe cuz he's the suck. Dont know.

I mean. Yea, it's better than last year. Let the entire year play out. Remember that 5 TD game against the Cardinals? ZOMG OUR OFFENSE IS AWESOME. Then... yea. Remember, this means nothing.

/tx'd

I say we ride or die with the BradCat.

He definitely goes shorter more which accounts for lower YPA and int rate.. Can't figure the completion % not going up though.. there's been a lot of drops .. but that wouldn't account for it.. he definitely fixates on keller a lot.. i bet a bunch of incompletions come from there

He definitely goes shorter more which accounts for lower YPA and int rate.. Can't figure the completion % not going up though.. there's been a lot of drops .. but that wouldn't account for it.. he definitely fixates on keller a lot.. i bet a bunch of incompletions come from there

Allot of dropped interceptions too.

Then how do you explain Sanchez significantly improving on last year INT totals?

I think you have to wait and see how the year plays out. Im not going to say he has been lucky, but I do think that in sports things tend to balance out and he has alot of easy picks dropped. Right now, including those 2 bogus ints, hes around 30% better than average, which is pretty good. If he continues to stay around that level I would think its a big plus for Schottenheimer.

Now in terms of actual improvement there was going to be some just based on maturing as a QB. Using the stats of all other rookies since 1980 that were in his category of rookie play, I projected him to be at 58%, 210 YPG, 18 TD, 19 INTs on the year. Thats the average improvement. That seems to be where he is headed with a much lower than expected int. total. The high end players would have resulted in somewhere around 60%, 235 YPG, and a 21/18 TD/Int ratio. The reason the pick keep coming out so high is because his rookie total was so high compared to other rookies, so 18 with a big increase in attempts is actually a great reduction based on where he was last season.

Nice story.. probably get your balls busted for it, but I'm always shocked how little players emotional states are considered when analyzing this stuff. Believe it or not, money isn't near as much the motivator you think it would be based on countless studies. These guys aren't robots, and one thing I can say is that Sanchez seems to be highly emotional, rides the wave up when things are going good and comes crashing down when not. He's gotta get over that a bit, but it's tough when you know for a fact that this year is our sad sack team's best chance at a SB and if we don't win it, it'll probably be because of him

Thank you and +1 on the bolded...It's got to be a load on this kid who is only a year older than me (I think), and you're right he's got to be put on an emotional roller coaster, especially in this town.

The good thing about having a guy with the public image Schottenheimer has is that anything that goes wrong can be blamed on him. In that way, he's a huge boon to Sanchez. So much rides on this kid that it might be a good thing to have someone built in for blame for any of his early career "failures."

Thank you and +1 on the bolded...It's got to be a load on this kid who is only a year older than me (I think), and you're right he's got to be put on an emotional roller coaster, especially in this town.

The good thing about having a guy with the public image Schottenheimer has is that anything that goes wrong can be blamed on him. In that way, he's a huge boon to Sanchez. So much rides on this kid that it might be a good thing to have someone built in for blame for any of his early career "failures."

glasscaseofemotion.gif

Absolutely. Schotty gets scapegoated cause the kid is way more important to the team. I'm telling you, i listen to him talk and think about his age, and then see him basically get tentative any time the going gets a little tough, I really think Rex has done a great disservice to the kid by putting the SB expectations out there. Sanchez doesn't seem like a cocksure kid who maybe isn't so bright and would really benefit from that kind of blind confidence.. he seems smarter and a lot more intropsective to the point that it could make him feel extreme pressure

my thoughts anyway.. I think he's got the tools and can be pretty accurate, i think his head has been his biggest problem.

His YPA is down simply because his completion percentage is the pits right now. Plus, when Mark is checking down its so late in the process that there is nowhere for the checkdown to go. On a weekly basis his YPC is usually pretty good. In most games it makes up for the lack of YPA.

Yeah. He still seems indecisive, especially in the pocket. Plus the 2010 sample size is obviously small, as others have pointed out. Jason's numbers seem to make sense for a rough projected benchmark.

His YPA is down simply because his completion percentage is the pits right now. Plus, when Mark is checking down its so late in the process that there is nowhere for the checkdown to go. On a weekly basis his YPC is usually pretty good. In most games it makes up for the lack of YPA.

he was near the lead league in YPC last year, this year he's down there at the bottom with Hennengton... last i looked anyway

Shotty is the most predictable OC in the NFL, his gimmicks suck, and he has had 3 styles of QB and not been able to make it work with any.

Look at the points the Raiders have been putting up, Shotty would not be capable of that.

Make all of the excuses you want for him, but I am sick of watching teams with less talent pull of better plays week after week.

We should get JiF's expert take on this...

I'm too emotional to give you an accurate take.

I think you have to wait and see how the year plays out. Im not going to say he has been lucky, but I do think that in sports things tend to balance out and he has alot of easy picks dropped. Right now, including those 2 bogus ints, hes around 30% better than average, which is pretty good. If he continues to stay around that level I would think its a big plus for Schottenheimer.

Now in terms of actual improvement there was going to be some just based on maturing as a QB. Using the stats of all other rookies since 1980 that were in his category of rookie play, I projected him to be at 58%, 210 YPG, 18 TD, 19 INTs on the year. Thats the average improvement. That seems to be where he is headed with a much lower than expected int. total. The high end players would have resulted in somewhere around 60%, 235 YPG, and a 21/18 TD/Int ratio. The reason the pick keep coming out so high is because his rookie total was so high compared to other rookies, so 18 with a big increase in attempts is actually a great reduction based on where he was last season.

Interesting...and I think maturation obviously plays a big part, but my point is more along the lines of what does Schotty get credit for and what doesnt he?

I think Sanchez realizes that his team is good enough to win a championship with him doing the bare minimal and not turning the ball over. And when you think about it, that makes the pressure that much worse.

I've always been a big fan of letting kids just go out and play the game and let it be natural. My biggest fear is that everything has been so methodical with him that when the pressure is on and the game is on the line, just like last week, he wont know how to react.

I've always been a big fan of letting kids just go out and play the game and let it be natural.

as creepy as that sounds coming from you i agree.. Also think we should've tempered some of the boasting about how smart/better we were then everyone else..

Oh, this is easy.

He gets credit for losses.

And he doesn't get credit for any wins.

Yep...No one would admit sh*t as the 2nd year QB threw 0 INTs in his first 5 starts...or when they pulled Sanchez's head out of his a$$ long enough to win a couple playoff games...probably because he didn't play tough competition or something...or because one of the other coaches did something...but one loss and we've got a 12+ page thread about how Schottenheiemr the Terrible been a burden on the franchise and the offense for years now...It gives me wack attacks.

Duh. So how does that exempt Schottenheimer from blame? The offense looked totally unprepared coming off a bye week. "Preparation" is a term that refers to efforts made BEFORE the game.

So this one loss plus the Ravens loss should be weighed more heavily than the wins where the offense was the best unit on the team?

I don't buy it. Like week 1, I think you guys just need to stop holding a grudge for a loss and get over it...Bet you the offense will.

Archived