Was this the best gameplan and playcalling combo move of all time?

SenorGato

One thing that still needs improvement is the 2 minute drill. We hemorrhage valuable seconds in between plays. Does anyone else feel that way?

No doubt.

The Jets offense did little in the first half up to that point, and frankly I was a little nervous when they came out throwing that they might wind up giving the ball back to the Pats with time on the clock. When Phil Simms said that the Jets will be happy to get a FG here, I was thinking how happy I was that the team managed to move the ball into FG range that quickly - whether they hit it or not.

It still needs work. A lot of that is on the QB, but a lot of that is drilling it in practice. Yesterday was an improvement over anything I've seen in two-minute situations from Sanchez in his career. They do need to be able to get TD's in those scenarios, but it was nice to see the step forward.

Nothing makes Schotty look good, even that devastating gameplan/playcall combo. If we win the Super Bowl this year it'd be in spite of having Schottenheimer even slightly connected to the organization....from what I understand.

Rex getting involved last week made Schotty look good if you ask me. Sanchez being allowed to play football, also made him look good.

Listen... Schotty is a liability. A 2nd year QB is also a liability. We all get this. The thing is, the 2nd year QB is the bigger investment who has shown signs of being able to transcend mediocrity. I think the collective fear is that the Jets continue to invest years of confidence in Schotty, when there are more signs that point to mediocrity... than to greatness. Which is why people are inclined to point fingers at him first.

That, and when the bad play goes far beyond the 2nd year QB, which it did last week, who else is there to blame when the entire unit is unprepared and underwhelming? Are you suggesting that we should blame Sanchez when our veteran LT and RT have 3 false starts between them at HOME, all due to the pre-snap shenanigans? Sorry dude, that is on the OC. If he can't see how that sh*t hurts the team, more than it helps them... then he deserves the heat he gets.

You know what my favorite part of your posts are? The LOLz I get from the fact that you think so highly of your own opinion, that you cannot see that people are ******* with you...

Rex getting involved last week made Schotty look good if you ask me. Sanchez being allowed to play football, also made him look good.

Listen... Schotty is a liability. A 2nd year QB is also a liability. We all get this. The thing is, the 2nd year QB is the bigger investment who has shown signs of being able to transcend mediocrity. I think the collective fear is that the Jets continue to invest years of confidence in Schotty, when there are more signs that point to mediocrity... than to greatness. Which is why people are inclined to point fingers at him first.

That, and when the bad play goes far beyond the 2nd year QB, which it did last week, who else is there to blame when the entire unit is unprepared and underwhelming? Are you suggesting that we should blame Sanchez when our veteran LT and RT have 3 false starts between them at HOME, all due to the pre-snap shenanigans? Sorry dude, that is on the OC. If he can't see how that sh*t hurts the team, more than it helps them... then he deserves the heat he gets.

You know what my favorite part of your posts are? The LOLz I get from the fact that you think so highly of your own opinion, that you cannot see that people are ******* with you...

3 false starts were bad. Not as bad as the fumble, not as bad as the constant defensive holding on the Rex Ryan coached D. Not as bad as the penalty on special teams by the Westhoff coached special teams that cost us.

Last weeks game against the Ravens was the result of an undesciplined team believing all the BS. This weeks team was the result of a couple of things. A well executed O and I believe the Revis injury forced the Jets to stop blitzing all the time and use some different coverage schemes. The D was actually more desciplined because of the style of play.

Keller had 5 steps on Chung.

You got to toss it downfield when the receiver is that wide open.

I understand that he was open, but it was a 3rd-and-1 from their own 12 and he floated the ball while on the run... very easy to miss your target there, or underthrow it enough to allow the defender to recover and make a play on the ball.

I'm normally for the aggressive approach, but the smarter play would've been to run it for the first in that spot when it's a certainty that he would've gotten it.

I should re-state that I wasn't "pissed" that he didn't run for the 1st, but I stand by my opinion that it wasn't the best decision.

The fact that the play resulted in a 39-yard completion doesn't change that, as results-oriented analysis isn't my thing...

So you disagreed with the decision, but were not pissed none the less.

i don't understand the confusion above, i certainly did the old "NooooooYEssssssssssss" thing .. hated it when i saw him loft that ball up.. it worked out well, but you have to take the easy first there i think so you don't punt from your own 10

i don't understand the confusion above, i certainly did the old "NooooooYEssssssssssss" thing .. hated it when i saw him loft that ball up.. it worked out well, but you have to take the easy first there i think so you don't punt from your own 10

Basically. That's the way I felt, if that goes the other way everyone is calling it retarded. The line between genius and madness is very thin. This decision was on the right side for us.

Nice throw by Sanchez though, one thing the kid can do is throw on the run.

Basically. That's the way I felt, if that goes the other way everyone is calling it retarded. The line between genius and madness is very thin. This decision was on the right side for us.

Nice throw by Sanchez though, one thing the kid can do is throw on the run.

I agree, but he had him all the way.

If he can't complete that pass, we might as well all just pack it in.

The Jets become a legitimate Super Bowl contender when Sanchez is routinely making that decision and executing it. He has to do both. We're not sniffing the Super Bowl if he always takes the safe route. That's the path to more 10-9 losses.

The Jets become a legitimate Super Bowl contender when Sanchez is routinely making that decision and executing it. He has to do both. We're not sniffing the Super Bowl if he always takes the safe route. That's the path to more 10-9 losses.

Hey, i certainly agree with that it was a big reason I railed against Pennington for eyars, but I don't trust sanchez yet, or this team.. he puts to much air under that and we punting from the 10 down 4... I liked all the other aggressive moves, this is solely about passing up a sure first down backed up deep..

Hey, i certainly agree with that it was a big reason I railed against Pennington for eyars, but I don't trust sanchez yet, or this team.. he puts to much air under that and we punting from the 10 down 4... I liked all the other aggressive moves, this is solely about passing up a sure first down backed up deep..

This.

When the "safe route" guarantees you a 1st versus throwing a floater on the run (albeit to a wide open target), I'd prefer to take the sure thing and move the chains.

I get that. I said in another thread today that I was cringing when Jets were trying to put together a two-minute drill -I though for sure that was going to lead to more Pats points- only to see them actually get a FG out of it! They'll have to attempt and succeed on a lot of those types of plays before we come to expect success. First step is continuing to attempt them.

No doubt that if that ball falls incomplete we're all up in arms about how he could've just run for the first down. We'll have that opportunity in the future, I'm sure. But I love the handcuffs being removed, and the QB aggressively looking to make plays downfield.

No doubt that if that ball falls incomplete we're all up in arms about how he could've just run for the first down. We'll have that opportunity in the future, I'm sure. But I love the handcuffs being removed, and the QB aggressively looking to make plays downfield.

Definitely agree with that :D

This is kind of that damned if you do scenario. We all want him to be aggressive and have confidence but then you what this. Which is it? I think he weighed his options on that play and knew Keller was going to be wide open if he extended it a little longer with his legs. Me thinks he would have been more than happy to hit T Rich/pick up with his feet but Keller was busting free.

It showed, good decision making, aggressiveness and confidence. What more could you ask for?

Isn't that kind of the point?

I see where you are going here, but the game plan was just night and day. I really didnt see anything the Ravens were doing that should have prevented us from attacking them in a similar manner.

I get that. I said in another thread today that I was cringing when Jets were trying to put together a two-minute drill -I though for sure that was going to lead to more Pats points- only to see them actually get a FG out of it! They'll have to attempt and succeed on a lot of those types of plays before we come to expect success. First step is continuing to attempt them.

I posted a thread that had Yahoo's Morning Rush which was covering Sanchez and his performance. Apparently Rex pushed to put more of the responsibility onto Sanchez.

I see where you are going here, but the game plan was just night and day. I really didnt see anything the Ravens were doing that should have prevented us from attacking them in a similar manner.

I think you're looking at the wrong game. You don't need to guess about whether the game we played against the Patriots would have worked against the Ravens, because you saw that the game we played against the Ravens worked. The difference is that Cincinnati's defense got off the field on third down and ours didn't because we kept overload blitzing into max protect and the coverage epic failed.

I think you're looking at the wrong game. You don't need to guess about whether the game we played against the Patriots would have worked against the Ravens, because you saw that the game we played against the Ravens worked. The difference is that Cincinnati's defense got off the field on third down and ours didn't because we kept overload blitzing into max protect and the coverage epic failed.

That and extended drives with costly penalties. But I get your point.

I meant more about the fact that we did things yesterday that you'd have thought would be no brainers against the Ravens. For example, we threw the jump ball to BE in the endzone against sh*tty DB's twice, both resulting in points. We didnt try this play once against the Ed Reedless Ravens and a sh*tty secondary.

My point was, I think we gave the Ravens too much credit and should have opened things up a more.

What this shows is we have great plays in the playbook but its the playcalling that has been atrocious.

The 2 things different this week being:

1. Rex sat with Schotty and Sanchez and categorized the plays in 3 categories 'Love it, like it, hate it'

2. Schotty seems to work better when he is on a short leash. I would keep it that all the way till the first week of feb.

Archived